Should Andrew Jackson be celebrated on U.S. currency?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:57:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should Andrew Jackson be celebrated on U.S. currency?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Considering the trail of tears and his alleged war crimes should he be on the $20 bill?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: Should Andrew Jackson be celebrated on U.S. currency?  (Read 8537 times)
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 20, 2012, 11:30:16 PM »

I don't think he should be celebrated as a great President, and certainly shouldn't be on U.S. currency. I'm shocked more Native Americans aren't offended by it.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 11:49:33 PM »

Perhaps he should not be.  Perhaps Abraham Lincoln, far more genocidal in his policies towards the Native Americans than Andrew Jackson, should also not be.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 12:24:10 AM »

Lincoln was actually at war with many of the Indian tribes at the time. (Not that he should have been.)
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 01:37:28 AM »

Well, those in favor of removing said faces, I'm inclined to hear your suggestions for replacements.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 07:17:33 AM »
« Edited: February 21, 2012, 10:18:32 AM by MechaRepublican »

Perhaps he should not be.  Perhaps Abraham Lincoln, far more genocidal in his policies towards the Native Americans than Andrew Jackson, should also not be.

Not to mention his policies towards immigrants that would've made the Know Nothing movement look like bleedingheart liberals.

Oh wait, it isn't oppression if it happens to white Catholics!
Is Totally Not Feeblepizza.
Crackers
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 10:41:58 AM »

Considering his fanatical opposition to the National Bank, he would consider his placement on paper currency as an insult.

Good insult.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 11:39:28 AM »

Perhaps he should not be.  Perhaps Abraham Lincoln, far more genocidal in his policies towards the Native Americans than Andrew Jackson, should also not be.

Not to mention his policies towards immigrants that would've made the Know Nothing movement look like bleedingheart liberals.

Oh wait, it isn't oppression if it happens to white Catholics!

Of course, that too (though WASPs of the type who voted for the Republican Party in 1860 didn't consider Catholics to be "white" either).

But my point is that liberals should stop being intellectually-dishonest and admit their dislike of Jackson is based on his economic policies, not his Indian policy.

Either that or agree that Lincoln and Grant ought to be taken off US currency, as they were directly responsible for the killing of vastly more Native Americans than Jackson, in a policy of outright genocide, not removal, even if we say that Jackson was indirectly responsible for the actions of Van Buren (and Van Buren's actions are taken out of the historical context that the Georgia militia was on the verge of outright massacring the 5 civilized tribes).

As for who I think should appear on currency, first of all 'legal tender' currency as such shouldn't exist in the first place, but pictures of well-known natural features and native flora and fauna would do.  Something politically-neutral that doesn't idolize individual persons.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 12:17:57 PM »

As for who I think should appear on currency, first of all 'legal tender' currency as such shouldn't exist in the first place, but pictures of well-known natural features and native flora and fauna would do.  Something politically-neutral that doesn't idolize individual persons.

This would be a good idea. Maybe something like what they have in Japan where there's some mixing up of cultural figures who are perceived as politically neutral and features of the landscape or famous buildings.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 03:35:15 PM »

But my point is that liberals should stop being intellectually-dishonest and admit their dislike of Jackson is based on his economic policies, not his Indian policy.

We can dislike him for both, Mr. Strawman.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 03:48:09 PM »

We can dislike him for both, Mr. Strawman.

No, you're being intellectually dishonest since you think that it's perfectly okay for Lincoln to do what Jackson (sort-of) did x10, or at least that Jackson deserves to be criticized for it but not Lincoln.  For an argument to be a strawman argument it has to be untrue.  If you can provide evidence that liberals criticize Lincoln for killing Indians more than they criticize Jackson, then I have indeed made a strawman argument.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 03:55:18 PM »

Andrew Jackson is okay, but I'd prefer Michael Jackson.

True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2012, 06:50:34 PM »

Considering his fanatical opposition to the National Bank, he would consider his placement on paper currency as an insult.

Good insult.

Actually, if Andrew Jackson is to be on paper money, $20 is the most appropriate note for him to be on, as he expressed the view that it should be the smallest denomination of paper money.  Jackson was not opposed to paper money per se, just paper money displacing specie, and the largest denomination being minted at that time was the gold eagle worth $10.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 06:53:02 PM »

America is a country of war crimes, so we might as well be represented the right way.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2012, 07:28:04 PM »

America is a country of war crimes, so we might as well be represented the right way.
Indeed. Lets replace the non criminals on our currency (Washington, Franklin) with LBJ and Dubya while we are at it.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2012, 08:36:51 PM »

As for who I think should appear on currency, first of all 'legal tender' currency as such shouldn't exist in the first place, but pictures of well-known natural features and native flora and fauna would do.  Something politically-neutral that doesn't idolize individual persons.

This would be a good idea. Maybe something like what they have in Japan where there's some mixing up of cultural figures who are perceived as politically neutral and features of the landscape or famous buildings.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind having Nathaniel Hawthorne on money.
Reginald
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2012, 08:44:56 PM »

Well, we could always incorporate corn kernels and oil barrels on our currency:

These and other lulzy ideas for currency redesign located here.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2012, 09:11:46 PM »

As for who I think should appear on currency, first of all 'legal tender' currency as such shouldn't exist in the first place, but pictures of well-known natural features and native flora and fauna would do.  Something politically-neutral that doesn't idolize individual persons.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind having Nathaniel Hawthorne on money.

Hawthorne unfortunately has some tangential association with antebellum  Northern 'appeasement Democrats' (he was close friends with Pierce), but somebody like Emily Dickinson or Herman Melville or Hart Crane would be awesome. Or Mark Twain!
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2012, 09:30:05 PM »

Dude, those look like food coupons.  You know, the kind that skanky single welfare mothers, with rugrats in tow, generally bring into the store and use to buy, like, a piece of bubble gum.  They buy pieces of gum, one at a time, which cost five cents, and pay for it with a dollar food coupon so they can get 95 cents back.  If they do it four times, they'll have $3.80 in coin, which they can use to buy a pack of Marlboros.  It's actually pretty clever, if you ask me.

Anyway, I don't think we want our currency to look like food coupons.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2012, 09:55:07 PM »

Dude, those look like food coupons.  You know, the kind that skanky single welfare mothers, with rugrats in tow, generally bring into the store and use to buy, like, a piece of bubble gum.  They buy pieces of gum, one at a time, which cost five cents, and pay for it with a dollar food coupon so they can get 95 cents back.  If they do it four times, they'll have $3.80 in coin, which they can use to buy a pack of Marlboros.  It's actually pretty clever, if you ask me.

You're a genius with words, I must say.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2012, 10:32:15 PM »

I actually, legitimately love the 'Music Man', 'Life, Liberty etc.', and 'We're a Culture Not a Government' sets.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2012, 10:38:33 PM »

These ones have suitably Orwellian slogans.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2012, 10:41:19 PM »

These ones have suitably Orwellian slogans.

I wouldn't say they're Orwellian so much as meaningless pablum.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2012, 11:52:12 PM »

Iowa still uses actual coupons?  South Carolina has been using debit card like cards for so long now, I can't remember when we stopped using coupons.  Even when they did use coupons, the stores here wouldn't give back ordinary change, but clunky plastic tokens, so that your Marlboro scheme would never work here. (And if it did, with our low cigarette taxes, no way they'd need to pull that trick four times.)
JonBidinger
United States

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2012, 04:10:51 AM »

Personally I would be supportive of putting Teddy Roosevelt or Martin Luther King on American money.
Rooney
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2012, 08:44:25 PM »

Yes. As a president he was pretty decent in terms of currency and attempting to keep sound money.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies