Santorum: Satan has taken over America (2008 speech)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 10:17:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Santorum: Satan has taken over America (2008 speech)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Santorum: Satan has taken over America (2008 speech)  (Read 4224 times)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 19, 2012, 11:35:33 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

and:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/rick-santorum-thinks-satan-has-taken-over-america/

The speech itself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4jopm7hYFk

Yeah, Santorum is totally mainstream and electable.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 11:39:15 AM »

He sounds more like an Islamist politician from Iran than a Republican politician from Pennsylvania.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 11:40:40 AM »
« Edited: February 19, 2012, 07:24:42 PM by Torie »

Invoking Satan is just so old school. God may not be dead, but Hell is.

The "demonization" of academia (what a particular appropriate word in this context; thanks Rick Smiley),  sometimes reaching near pathological levels, is a particularly unattractive tendency in a far too large segment of my party. It embarrasses me.

I don't get the transition from mainline Protestantism is in shambles, so "they" attacked the [Catholic] Church. What is that about Rick? Are you saying Rick that mainline Protestantism was already dead, so the "Satanic" "they" then moved on to finish off that branch of Christianity which was still alive, to wit, the Catholic Church?  
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 11:48:53 AM »

I don't get the transition from mainline Protestantism is in shambles, so "they" attacked the [Catholic] Church. What is that about Rick? Are you saying Rick that mainline Protestantism was already dead, so the "Satanic" "they" then moved on to finish that branch of Christianity which was still alive, to wit, the Catholic Church?  

Given that I am a mainline Protestant, that was a particularly obnoxious remark to me. Apparently, in the 21st century, you have to have Medieval views in order to remain incorruptible as a Christian. According to Rick, anyway....
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 11:54:54 AM »

So in summary he is saying:
Devout Catholics & Evangelicals = Good Christians
Everyone else = spawn of Satan

Nice
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 11:56:33 AM »

Santorum attacked a Republican-voting demographic:

http://www.pewforum.org/Politics-and-Elections/How-the-Faithful-Voted.aspx

Non-evangelical Protestant: 55-44 McCain.

You can't make this up.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 11:57:17 AM »

So in summary he is saying:
Far-Right-Wing Catholics & Evangelicals = Good Christians
Everyone else = spawn of Satan

Nice

Fixed for accuracy.
ajb
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 02:08:37 PM »

If Santorum is the nominee, he'll have to spend a great deal of time this fall talking about why contraception is sinful, why homosexuality is equivalent to bestiality, and why the Episcopalian Church is a minion of Satan.
Personally, I think that could be kind of entertaining. But Republicans should be sure that that's what they really want.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 03:32:03 PM »

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/political-animal-a/2012_02/santorum_to_mainline_protestan035489.php

Not surprising.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2012, 03:34:38 PM »

"Santorum to Mainline Protestants: You Are Satan’s Spawn"

He said nothing of the sort. He really said "secularism in mainline churches is rising", and while that's the pot calling the kettle black, it is wholly non-offensive.
ajb
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2012, 03:41:25 PM »

"Santorum to Mainline Protestants: You Are Satan’s Spawn"

He said nothing of the sort. He really said "secularism in mainline churches is rising", and while that's the pot calling the kettle black, it is wholly non-offensive.

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/santorum-satan-systematically-destroying-america

"He [the Father of Lies] was successful. He attacks all of us and he attacks all of our institutions. The place where he was, in my mind, the most successful and first successful was in academia. He understood pride of smart people. He attacked them at their weakest, that they were, in fact, smarter than everybody else and could come up with something new and different. Pursue new truths, deny the existence of truth, play with it because they're smart. And so academia, a long time ago, fell.

And you say "what could be the impact of academia falling?" Well, I would have the argument that the other structures that I'm going to talk about here had root of their destruction because of academia. Because what academia does is educate the elites in our society, educates the leaders in our society, particularly at the college level. And they were the first to fall.

And so what we saw this domino effect, once the colleges fell and those who were being education in our institutions, the next was the church. Now you’d say, ‘wait, the Catholic Church’? No. We all know that this country was founded on a Judeo-Christian ethic but the Judeo-Christian ethic was a Protestant Judeo-Christian ethic, sure the Catholics had some influence, but this was a Protestant country and the Protestant ethic, mainstream, mainline Protestantism, and of course we look at the shape of mainline Protestantism in this country and it is in shambles, it is gone from the world of Christianity as I see it. So they attacked mainline Protestantism, they attacked the Church, and what better way to go after smart people who also believe they’re pious to use both vanity and pride to also go after the Church."
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2012, 07:38:14 PM »
« Edited: February 19, 2012, 07:40:43 PM by Torie »

The most damaging part of Rick's comments to Ava Maria University (which explains a lot - Rick just let it all hang out to an audience attending a school founded to foster old school Catholicism due to the secularization of academia in general of the type to which Rick subscribes ), is that mainline Protestantism is "gone from the world of Christianity."  So while some may think the LDS is not Christian, apparently Rick does not consider mainline Protestantism "Christian."  Christianity is becoming an ever more elite club.

If that sound bite gets out there on the Fruited Plain in a major way, Rick will have some more "walking it back" to do, presumably saying well I didn't mean the adherents, but just its leaders, which I doubt will solve the problem for him, since essentially he is telling mainline Protestants that their pastors and ministers have abandoned Christianity, and have become something on the order of Godless secularists in false costume.

Of course, Rick probably said all of this before he gave serious consideration to running for POTUS. This in short is the real Rick Santorum,, before he began, albeit ineptly, to start self censoring himself.

The list of folks Santorum thinks are bad for America grows ever longer.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2012, 07:52:46 PM »

Well, if you look at where the episcopalians are going and where the UMC is going and where the ELCA is going - how could you draw a different conclusion from Santorum?

I'm an ex-evangelical myself, and this talk is nothing strange. I left because of concerns that my denomination would carry down the exact same path, and it's already started to do the same. Left and sided with the whore of Babylon. Wink

As for not appealing to evangelicals - this will solidify them, especially in the south (Baptists especially), who see things exactly the same way as Santorum. Same with the folks who are the conservatives in their respective denominations, particularly the lutherans.

The folks whom he's aiming at front and centre are the folks who have felt particularly dispossessed even by their own church. Instead of Rick saying - you folks don't matter - this is a direct shout out to them.
ajb
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2012, 07:58:46 PM »

Well, if you look at where the episcopalians are going and where the UMC is going and where the ELCA is going - how could you draw a different conclusion from Santorum?

I'm an ex-evangelical myself, and this talk is nothing strange. I left because of concerns that my denomination would carry down the exact same path, and it's already started to do the same. Left and sided with the whore of Babylon. Wink

As for not appealing to evangelicals - this will solidify them, especially in the south (Baptists especially), who see things exactly the same way as Santorum. Same with the folks who are the conservatives in their respective denominations, particularly the lutherans.

The folks whom he's aiming at front and centre are the folks who have felt particularly dispossessed even by their own church. Instead of Rick saying - you folks don't matter - this is a direct shout out to them.

All of this makes perfect sense as a strategy in a Republican primary. But he'll have to talk about this stuff in a general election if he's the candidate.

The real problem in that context, I think, is the arrogance and presumptuousness, the claim that he knows what makes someone a real Christian, and that ordinary Americans aren't smart enough to figure it out for themselves.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2012, 10:47:54 PM »

The Soviets infiltrated many American institutions, spreading their ideology in the process, but it's not something you can openly talk about when you are running for president. And it has nothing to do with God/Satan, really.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2012, 11:27:25 PM »

So let me guess... you are a Rastafarian now?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2012, 01:42:18 AM »

He sounds more like an Islamist politician from Iran than a Republican politician from Pennsylvania.

Well, those two sound a lot more like each other than say an atheist scientist in San Francisco.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2012, 01:19:31 PM »

http://drudgereport.com/flash3s.htm

SANTORUM'S SATAN WARNING
Tue Feb 21 2012 09:27:20 ET

"Satan has his sights on the United States of America!" Republican presidential hopeful Rick Santorum has declared.

"Satan is attacking the great institutions of America, using those great vices of pride, vanity, and sensuality as the root to attack all of the strong plants that has so deeply rooted in the American tradition."

MORE

The former senator from Pennsylvania warned in 2008 how politics and government are falling to Satan.

"This is a spiritual war. And the Father of Lies has his sights on what you would think the Father of Lies would have his sights on: a good, decent, powerful, influential country - the United States of America. If you were Satan, who would you attack in this day and age?"

"He attacks all of us and he attacks all of our institutions."

Santorum made the provocative comments to students at Ave Maria University in Florida.

MORE

The White House contender described how Satan is even taking hold of some religions.

"We look at the shape of mainline Protestantism in this country and it is in shambles, it is gone from the world of Christianity as I see it."

Developing...

Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2012, 01:35:04 PM »

if he said these things from the pulpit (giving a speech in front of a church or a Christian school), then I have no problem with them.

but, if he said these things as a political statement, then he lacks common sense - we have seperation of church and state for a reason.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2012, 01:38:10 PM »

I'm not sure why this is something that needed to be said as if it were a new phenomenon. This is manifestly true at all points in history anyway if one shares the basics of Santorum's religious beliefs (which--remember I'm saying 'basics'--I do) and completely irrelevant to any conceivable political issue if one doesn't. It's actually pretty irrelevant to many political issues even if one does believe that it's true.

So, no reason why he should be talking like this on even religious grounds, to say nothing of political ones.

I still like him better than Romney.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2012, 01:45:35 PM »

Drat, I've been found out.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2012, 01:51:37 PM »

Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2012, 09:51:10 PM »

Religious Nut #1 and Religious Nut #2. It's your choice, Republicans.

At least Romney saves his religious hanky-panky for "quiet rooms" though, I guess.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2012, 01:17:12 AM »

All media references to Santorum's "Catholicism" should include a disclaimer of how far out of the mainstream he is.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies