Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2014, 04:50:23 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Questions and Answers
| |-+  The Atlas
| | |-+  I've been infracted for calling Torie a genius. For reals.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Print
Author Topic: I've been infracted for calling Torie a genius. For reals.  (Read 7844 times)
Miamiu1027
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 02, 2012, 05:47:26 pm »
Ignore

So, we can't talk about drinking anymore, because it's illegal in Saudi Arabia (and, therefore, not legal everywhere)?

You really bent over backwards to try and miss the point, didn't you?

or rather, 'the point' looks a lot different depending on which side of the gun you sit.
greenforest32
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 02, 2012, 05:50:25 pm »
Ignore

There's a difference between talking about things that are off topic like sports and movies, and discussing things such as off topic such as "screwing 16-year-olds," an act that is not legal everywhere. It sets off a lot of alarm bells to a school administrator reviewing our site.

Just what do they think their students are talking about at lunch, then? Not screwing sixteen year olds?

It's different when the poster is an old man...

So sex becomes immoral once a certain age gap is reached between people who are at/above the age of consent?
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 02, 2012, 05:54:41 pm »
Ignore

So sex becomes immoral once a certain age gap is reached between people who are at/above the age of consent?

look, bud, if stating you wear your wife's panties on your head is against the TOS, then certainly it is against the TOS to talk about committing fornication with someone underage.

Do not fight with one another over my banning.  I've enjoyed the time I have spent with all of you, but the time really has come for me to leave.  It is what I want.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9Y_GLT4_9I

I looked over Jordan, and what did I see?
Coming for to carry me home,
A band of angels coming after me,
Coming for to carry me home.

Swing low, sweet chariot,
Abdul the Damned
Kalwejt
YaBB God
Turkey
View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: March 02, 2012, 05:55:03 pm »
Ignore

So, we can't talk about drinking anymore, because it's illegal in Saudi Arabia (and, therefore, not legal everywhere)?

You really bent over backwards to try and miss the point, didn't you?

or rather, 'the point' looks a lot different depending on which side of the gun you sit.

Guys, stop fantasizing about integrating schools. You know it's not legal everywhere! - Moderator, ca. 1957

Miamiu1027
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 02, 2012, 05:57:59 pm »
Ignore

the thought of jmfcst as a fetishist of any sort makes me a bit disquieted.  can't totally articulate why.
greenforest32
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 02, 2012, 05:59:56 pm »
Ignore

look, bud, if stating you wear your wife's panties on your head is against the TOS, then certainly it is against the TOS to talk about committing fornication with someone underage.

Why would that be against the TOS?
Miamiu1027
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 02, 2012, 06:02:05 pm »
Ignore

because it is 'sexually oriented'.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 02, 2012, 06:05:20 pm »
Ignore

Why would that be against the TOS?

probably because it offends the homosexuals  Tongue

Do not fight with one another over my banning.  I've enjoyed the time I have spent with all of you, but the time really has come for me to leave.  It is what I want.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9Y_GLT4_9I

I looked over Jordan, and what did I see?
Coming for to carry me home,
A band of angels coming after me,

Swing low, sweet chariot,
greenforest32
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 02, 2012, 06:09:08 pm »
Ignore

Hmm maybe I overlooked it but where is this mentioned? Is there a single TOS for the forum or is there one for each sub-forum/board?
Miamiu1027
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 02, 2012, 06:13:33 pm »
Ignore

I'll defer to the Moderastrocracy on this one
Assemblyman & Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.61, S: 1.48

P P P

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: March 02, 2012, 06:19:31 pm »
Ignore

There's a difference between talking about things that are off topic like sports and movies, and discussing things such as off topic such as "screwing 16-year-olds," an act that is not legal everywhere. It sets off a lot of alarm bells to a school administrator reviewing our site.

Just what do they think their students are talking about at lunch, then? Not screwing sixteen year olds?

Talk to the superintendant at your local school district and get back to me.
Inks.LWC
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: March 02, 2012, 06:20:08 pm »
Ignore

Hmm maybe I overlooked it but where is this mentioned? Is there a single TOS for the forum or is there one for each sub-forum/board?

The ToS applies to hte whole forum.
greenforest32
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 02, 2012, 06:23:07 pm »
Ignore

Talk to the superintendant at your local school district and get back to me.

In other words, yes.

The ToS applies to hte whole forum.

Where is it located?
Inks.LWC
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: March 02, 2012, 06:24:23 pm »
Ignore

Here's a copy of it: http://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=108181.0
greenforest32
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 02, 2012, 06:34:03 pm »
Ignore

You agree, through your use of this forum, that you will not post any material which is false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, adult material, or otherwise in violation of any International or United States Federal law. You also agree not to post any copyrighted material unless you own the copyright or you have written consent from the owner of the copyrighted material. Spam, flooding, advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and solicitations are also forbidden on this forum.

And what is the reason for prohibiting making posts that contain curse words or are sexually oriented?
Miamiu1027
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 02, 2012, 06:37:04 pm »
Ignore

the moderators don't have to answer for that, it's a Leipian Edict.
Napoleon
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 02, 2012, 06:38:02 pm »
Ignore

the moderators don't have to answer for that, it's a Leipian Edict.

Boss, should posts that are "inaccurate" be reported?

Please Senators, don't let the Russians, a folk of alcoholic homophobic, take Crimee
Miamiu1027
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 02, 2012, 06:40:18 pm »
Ignore

if I were the authority on any of this a lot of things would change.  within the context of the current system I would argue that 1) the ToS is intended to be simply a legal ass-covering mechanism (which I admit I do not fully understand), and as such only those things which we can reasonably say could be materially damaging to the Forum as an existential concern should be prohibited.
Inks.LWC
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: March 02, 2012, 07:06:02 pm »
Ignore

You agree, through your use of this forum, that you will not post any material which is false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, adult material, or otherwise in violation of any International or United States Federal law. You also agree not to post any copyrighted material unless you own the copyright or you have written consent from the owner of the copyrighted material. Spam, flooding, advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and solicitations are also forbidden on this forum.

And what is the reason for prohibiting making posts that contain curse words or are sexually oriented?

Because he wants the site to be able to be used for educational purposes and fears that allowing those things would lead to potential blocking by school filters.

Don't listen to Tweed... he suffers from the mentality Teddy had, in that he'll often claim he understands the moderation process, and makes baseless claims without any knowledge of what's actually going on.

If you actually want to understand why we do what we do, talk to a moderator or Dave, and don't listen to general posters who are uninvolved with the process.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 07:16:45 pm by Assemblyman & Queen Mum Inks.LWC »Logged
Napoleon
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 02, 2012, 07:08:05 pm »
Ignore

That wasn't very nice, Inks. If calling someone a genius merits infraction points, calling someone a violent autistic couldn't be considered appropriate.

Please Senators, don't let the Russians, a folk of alcoholic homophobic, take Crimee
Inks.LWC
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: March 02, 2012, 07:10:20 pm »
Ignore

That wasn't very nice, Inks. If calling someone a genius merits infraction points, calling someone a violent autistic couldn't be considered appropriate.

That's not what I said... I'm referring to Teddy's mentality toward the moderators and the moderation process.
Napoleon
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 02, 2012, 07:14:50 pm »
Ignore

That's not what I said... I'm referring to Teddy's mentality toward the moderators and the moderation process.

That is my bad then. Why not ease up though? It is clear that popular opinion is that the forum is over-moderated. (I wouldn't say you are the only one to blame.)

Abdul the Damned
Kalwejt
YaBB God
Turkey
View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: March 02, 2012, 07:17:14 pm »
Ignore

Because he wants the site to be able to be used for educational purposes and fears that allowing those things would lead to potential blocking by school filters.

This rule looks good on paper, but the real educational value are Dave's database, not forum. Yes, I know, forum is a part of the general website, but very strict enforcement of this such rules would get rid off any lighter conversation here. I know Inks is not blind fanatic (albeit he tends to be little too strict) and does not intend to too this happening, but I'm worried that very strict interpretation may turn out to be a very harmful precedent in future.

Guys, can you imagine what a horrible place this forum would be if we could only discuss maps and data?

Now, I've been sitting with the moderators on most of the issues, but you must understand a lot of people are legitimately concerned. You can dismiss people like Tweed, who'll bitch regardless of what you'll do, but concerns are far wider than few troublemakers.

Inks.LWC
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: March 02, 2012, 07:19:00 pm »
Ignore

That is my bad then. Why not ease up though? It is clear that popular opinion is that the forum is over-moderated. (I wouldn't say you are the only one to blame.)

Because the moderators don't form policy at the wills of the forum.  We form policy at the will of Dave, and largely now Nym, as a Mod-Admin.
Abdul the Damned
Kalwejt
YaBB God
Turkey
View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: March 02, 2012, 07:21:28 pm »
Ignore

Because the moderators don't form policy at the wills of the forum.  We form policy at the will of Dave, and largely now Nym, as a Mod-Admin.

But it's up to a moderator to decide how to enforce these rules. A number of your colleagues are less strict, Inks, and I don't think their approachment ever hurts Atlas.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout