Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 25, 2014, 12:36:36 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Questions and Answers
| |-+  The Atlas
| | |-+  I've been infracted for calling Torie a genius. For reals.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Print
Author Topic: I've been infracted for calling Torie a genius. For reals.  (Read 8283 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: March 02, 2012, 07:22:52 pm »
Ignore

Because the moderators don't form policy at the wills of the forum.  We form policy at the will of Dave, and largely now Nym, as a Mod-Admin.

But it's up to a moderator to decide how to enforce these rules. A number of your colleagues are less strict, Inks, and I don't think their approachment ever hurts Atlas.

In what ways am I more strict in things that I infract for?
Pope Kalwejt I of Northeast
Kalwejt
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 02, 2012, 07:27:55 pm »
Ignore

Because the moderators don't form policy at the wills of the forum.  We form policy at the will of Dave, and largely now Nym, as a Mod-Admin.

But it's up to a moderator to decide how to enforce these rules. A number of your colleagues are less strict, Inks, and I don't think their approachment ever hurts Atlas.

For example, I disagree with your interpretation of "sexual context" rule. IMO, forbidden sexual context would include explicit graphics or a very detailed writings, not some innocent talk.

You have an authority over your board and I'm not going to join a choir of few trolls screaming "OMG, demod him, he hates free speech". I just strongly disagree with you on the issue and I hope you'd be willing to listen to our concerns.

Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: March 02, 2012, 07:30:23 pm »
Ignore

For example, I disagree with your interpretation of "sexual context" rule. IMO, forbidden sexual context would include explicit graphics or a very detailed writings, not some innocent talk.

You have an authority over your board and I'm not going to join a choir of few trolls screaming "OMG, demod him, he hates free speech". I just strongly disagree with you on the issue and I hope you'd be willing to listen to our concerns.

And which of my colleagues are less strict on the issue of sexual content?  I assume you're referencing opebo's post?  Which mods have said they think that post should be acceptable?
greenforest32
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 02, 2012, 08:27:23 pm »
Ignore

Because he wants the site to be able to be used for educational purposes and fears that allowing those things would lead to potential blocking by school filters.

This rule looks good on paper, but the real educational value are Dave's database, not forum.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: March 02, 2012, 08:30:23 pm »
Ignore

Because he wants the site to be able to be used for educational purposes and fears that allowing those things would lead to potential blocking by school filters.

This rule looks good on paper, but the real educational value are Dave's database, not forum.

That's a fine argument, but why are you making it to me?  It's Dave's rule...
Lief
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 02, 2012, 08:37:13 pm »
Ignore

Being gay is not legal in wide swaths of the world. I think it's important that we stop discussing it on this forum, lest young students are turned away from the vast educational resources of the Forum Community Election Match-Ups forum, among other scholarly gems.

opebo
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 02, 2012, 08:40:53 pm »
Ignore

There's a difference between talking about things that are off topic like sports and movies, and discussing things such as off topic such as "screwing 16-year-olds," an act that is not legal everywhere. It sets off a lot of alarm bells to a school administrator reviewing our site.

I didn't discuss what you quote above!  I merely mentioned a preference in fantasy (or attraction) for youth over  age.  There was no mention of 'screwing' in either Naso's original fiction or in my comment!

You guys are going completely over the top here in that 'banding together in response to a threat' way.  Go look at the original thread in question.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 09:21:44 pm by opebo »Logged

The essence of democracy at its purest is a lynch mob

Napoleon
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 02, 2012, 08:43:08 pm »
Ignore

Where did he say that?

When I was in the third grade, I thought that I was Jewish
Because I could count, my nose was big, and I kept my bank account fullish
I told my mom, tears blurring my vision
He said, "Mort, you've loved God since before circumcision"
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: March 03, 2012, 03:19:56 am »
Ignore

Being gay is not legal in wide swaths of the world. I think it's important that we stop discussing it on this forum, lest young students are turned away from the vast educational resources of the Forum Community Election Match-Ups forum, among other scholarly gems.

Dave's goal isn't for us to be an educational tool available to every student world-wide, just at least here in America.  So, that's why he's using standards acceptable by typical Americans.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: March 03, 2012, 03:20:57 am »
Ignore

Where did he say that?

I didn't see the double quote... my bad.
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: March 03, 2012, 04:52:40 am »
Ignore

This thread is destroying what little faith I have left in humanity.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
YaBB God
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 03, 2012, 08:11:13 am »
Ignore

Blasphemy is still illegal in much of the world, so let's ban atheism from the forum.

Lief
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 03, 2012, 02:08:31 pm »
Ignore

Dave's goal isn't for us to be an educational tool available to every student world-wide, just at least here in America.  So, that's why he's using standards acceptable by typical Americans.

Sex with 16-year-olds is legally accepted in a majority of American states.

Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: March 03, 2012, 04:44:48 pm »
Ignore

Sex with 16-year-olds is legally accepted in a majority of American states.

I didn't say otherwise.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: March 03, 2012, 04:45:51 pm »
Ignore

And which of my colleagues are less strict on the issue of sexual content?  I assume you're referencing opebo's post?  Which mods have said they think that post should be acceptable?

Come on Kal... if you're going to make these claims, back them up.  Otherwise you are just as bad as the people who make up things that the moderators do.
Kalwejt
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 03, 2012, 04:50:56 pm »
Ignore

Come on Kal... if you're going to make these claims, back them up.  Otherwise you are just as bad as the people who make up things that the moderators do.

All right. For example, some what-if stories contains sexual references of kind you find against the ToS on your board, but I haven't seen any action, since these are mostly innocent remarks, not explicit sexual material (like, again, graphics or detailed descriptions).

Look, I'd fully agree that graphics and/or very detailed description of sexual nature are against the ToS. Making remarks about having sex with 12 year old would be not just awful, but illegal under U.S. law. However, 16-year old thing, you took it too far, IMO.

Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: March 03, 2012, 05:33:24 pm »
Ignore

All right. For example, some what-if stories contains sexual references of kind you find against the ToS on your board, but I haven't seen any action, since these are mostly innocent remarks, not explicit sexual material (like, again, graphics or detailed descriptions).

Look, I'd fully agree that graphics and/or very detailed description of sexual nature are against the ToS. Making remarks about having sex with 12 year old would be not just awful, but illegal under U.S. law. However, 16-year old thing, you took it too far, IMO.

Show me an example.  And to be fair, the What-if board isn't as patrolled as the FC/OT boards.  I can't think of an instance where something's been reported on what-if and BK has been more lenient than I'd have been.
Kalwejt
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 03, 2012, 06:17:41 pm »
Ignore

Show me an example.  And to be fair, the What-if board isn't as patrolled as the FC/OT boards.  I can't think of an instance where something's been reported on what-if and BK has been more lenient than I'd have been.

I'd need to do some reading, so excuse lack of an immediate example, ok?

Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: March 04, 2012, 03:09:13 am »
Ignore

That's fine.  But I still expect one.  If you're going to make these claims, you'd better be able to actually back them up...
opebo
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 04, 2012, 08:21:47 am »
Ignore

This thread is destroying what little faith I have left in humanity.

That is an important step in the operation of the authoritarian regime throughout history, fuzzy.  Kill the faith of the common man in his fellow man.

Making remarks about having sex with 12 year old would be not just awful, but illegal under U.S. law.

Making remarks about having sex with a 12 year old would not be illegal under U.S. law, kalwedjt.  Doing it is illegal, but not writing about it or speaking about it.  (at least not yet).

That's fine.  But I still expect one.  If you're going to make these claims, you'd better be able to actually back them up...

Oh come on.  You know very well that no 'claims' we make, or anything we say here will result in anything other than death-points.

The essence of democracy at its purest is a lynch mob

black and white band photos
BRTD
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 04, 2012, 12:20:27 pm »
Ignore

If discussing something that is simply illegal is banned, why is nothing done about all the discussions of marijuana use?

01/05/2004-01/10/2014
Kalwejt
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 04, 2012, 12:34:56 pm »
Ignore

If discussing something that is simply illegal is banned, why is nothing done about all the discussions of marijuana use?

A lot of posters actually admitted to smoke marijuana, which is illegal. Are they ban- or infraction-worthy?

Yelnoc
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: March 04, 2012, 01:23:12 pm »
Ignore

Out of curiosity, how many infraction points does opebo have?  He trolls harder than anyone I have ever seen on a message board.

You're Atlas experience will be 100x better if you turn signatures off. Trust me.
Torie
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 04, 2012, 01:32:08 pm »
Ignore

A lot of posters actually admitted to smoke marijuana, which is illegal. Are they ban- or infraction-worthy?

Wait a minute.  First, in some places, like to pick a place at random, CA, we have something called medical marijuana. I can smoke a joint anywhere that is not a non-smoking zone - legally.
Life is beautiful.

Second, in most states, or at least a substantial number of them, possession of pot is a misdemeanor, sort of like a traffic ticket (in CA, it is a $100 fine). So while it is illegal, it is more of an act of malum prohibitum, rather than malum in se.

So you guys need a better "wedge" here than pot, is what I'm politely suggesting. Smiley

CC:  BRTD

Torie
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 04, 2012, 01:33:56 pm »
Ignore

Out of curiosity, how many infraction points does opebo have?  He trolls harder than anyone I have ever seen on a message board.

Oh he cruises along at about 40  points I think. He is careful to keep it below 50. Opebo is not just another pretty face. Smiley

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout