Do you get ashes on Ash Wednesday? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:55:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Do you get ashes on Ash Wednesday? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do you get ashes on Ash Wednesday?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 17

Author Topic: Do you get ashes on Ash Wednesday?  (Read 2934 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« on: February 21, 2012, 11:50:09 PM »

I intend to.

I expect Santorum to, as was said, at least have some ashy photo op during the day. Probably Gingrich too.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 12:45:00 AM »

The reason I don't is because Ash Wednesday is simply the introduction to Lent, which (at least if recognized the way it typically is) is the epitome of "legalism" which in the hipster Christianity tradition is almost treated the single worst sin anyone can possibly commit.

Lenten fasting really isn't supposed to be legalistic, though I can understand how it would seem that way to people who aren't used to or fond of ascetic spirituality in general.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 11:03:14 PM »

I got ashes at 12:15 Mass and wore them until track practice at 5pm. I always feel sort of weird about wearing them normally wipe them off as soon as I can because we have the Gospel reading telling us we shouldn't let anyone know we're fasting or giving things up and then all walk out with black stuff on our foreheards. It always seemed like a tradition that goes against the point. But I was told I was supposed to so I did. I only saw like ten people I know anyway, all of whom already know I'm Catholic so I guess it doesn't matter.

That's why most Protestant churches that recognize Ash Wednesday advise that someone not wear the ashes all day.

I only saw one person with ashes today, an old woman at Target.

We're supposed to let them wear off naturally over the course of the day at my church.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies