Suicide
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:04:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Suicide
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Suicide  (Read 1792 times)
angus
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2012, 09:51:42 PM »

The idea that happy rich countries have high suicide rates have little to no empirical support. Denmark and Norway have rates similar to the US for example.

I also suspect that a lot of religious countries have highly deflated figures. My guess would be that a lot of suicides are reported as accidents in countries where suicide may have legal and/or social reprecussions.

Another interesting factoid:

A study by the Berlin Jewish Community in November 1935 found that in the two-year period from 1932 to 1934 there 70.2 suicides per 100,000 Jews in Berlin, up sharply from 50.4 in 1924-26.

You can buy into these empirical observations, or not.  Doesn't matter to me.  I'm just chiming in on what I consider a relatively interesting topic.

I still think that extreme frustration is behind all of it, and that there's a subset of humans that react this way to frustration, while the majority do not react in this way to such frustrations.

Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies