Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 23, 2014, 11:02:35 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: True Federalist, Former Moderate, Badger)
| | |-+  How would you react to Ecuadorian military bases in Miami?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: How would you react to Ecuadorian military bases in Miami?  (Read 847 times)
Jacobtm
YaBB God

View Profile
« on: February 28, 2012, 11:16:11 am »
Ignore

(Reuters) - Ecuador's leftist President Rafael Correa said Washington must let him open a military base in Miami if the United States wants to keep using an air base on Ecuador's Pacific coast.

"We'll renew the base on one condition: that they let us put a base in Miami -- an Ecuadorean base," Correa said in an interview during a trip to Italy.

"If there's no problem having foreign soldiers on a country's soil, surely they'll let us have an Ecuadorean base in the United States."

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2007/10/22/ecuador-base-idUKADD25267520071022

Does that sound reasonable to you all?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 11:18:28 am by Jacobtm »Logged

Why do so many people here cheer on war crimes?
Israel and the United States "killing dozens of civilians with explosives", as you phrase it, has, throughout history, almost always been a good thing.
True Federalist
Ernest
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 11:45:40 am »

Their dollars will spend as well as ours.  But why Miami?  Hurlburt Field in the Florida Panhandle would make more sense from a purely military perspective.

I wonder why Van Heusen never bothered to make women's clothing?
Sbane
sbane
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 06:21:11 pm »
Ignore

When is the CIA going to assassinate him?
IDS Judicial Overlord John Dibble
John Dibble
YaBB God
Japan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 10:25:03 pm »
Ignore

We have enough military bases in the area that they couldn't do anything, and honestly I don't think they'd have enough troops to staff it significantly. (they have only 37.5k) Considering what they'd have to invest to make any kind of significant base, I'm pretty sure that this is just a political ploy because they think we'll say no - they probably want something else. We should say yes just to see what they do.

Carlos Danger
wormyguy
YaBB God
Liechtenstein

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 10:29:24 pm »
Ignore

They'll probably just send a small military attachment to arrest him, discovering that he's partial to purple thongs and has a bust of Mussolini in his bathroom.

dead0man
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -4.52

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 12:25:22 am »
Ignore

The Germans have been operating a base (inside of a US base) in New Mexico for like 15 years.  link

Like Dibble said, I say we call their bluff and say yes, come on up.

Quote from:   Martha Gellhorn for The Atlantic 1961
The unique misfortune of the Palestinian refugees is that they are a weapon in what seems to be a permanent war...today, in the Middle East, you get a repeated sinking sensation about the Palestinian refugees: they are only a beginning, not an end. Their function is to hang around and be constantly useful as a goad. The ultimate aim is not such humane small potatoes as repatriating refugees.
True Federalist
Ernest
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 12:47:01 am »

We have enough military bases in the area that they couldn't do anything, and honestly I don't think they'd have enough troops to staff it significantly. (they have only 37.5k) Considering what they'd have to invest to make any kind of significant base, I'm pretty sure that this is just a political ploy because they think we'll say no - they probably want something else. We should say yes just to see what they do.

For a country that size, Ecuador has a very large military as a byproduct of their repeated wars with Peru.  While it is a political ploy, it isn't total nonsense.

only back for the worldcup
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 08:24:14 am »
Ignore

There definitely needs to be a Cuban base opened in Tampa Bay asap.

"The secret to having a rewarding work-life balance is to have no life. Then it's easy to keep things balanced by doing no work." Wally

"Our party do not have any ideology... Our main aim is to grab power ... Every one is doing so but I say it openly." Keshav Dev Maurya
Zarn
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: -5.91

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 09:26:41 am »
Ignore

I don't think Cuban Americans down there are open to another Latin American military present.
dead0man
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 09:45:12 am »
Ignore

Well that would be funny.  I'd tell you why, but it's more fun to keep you in the dark. 

5 internet points to the person to explain why this is funny!

The unique misfortune of the Palestinian refugees is that they are a weapon in what seems to be a permanent war...today, in the Middle East, you get a repeated sinking sensation about the Palestinian refugees: they are only a beginning, not an end. Their function is to hang around and be constantly useful as a goad. The ultimate aim is not such humane small potatoes as repatriating refugees.
Miamiu1027
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 09:50:41 am »
Ignore

strongly support.
Jacobtm
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 11:25:16 am »
Ignore

If ever allowed, I'm sure Ecuador would find many benefits to taking the war on drugs to the source.

It's a matter of national security to Ecuador to squash the drug trade at the source, and if they can eliminate the demand, they can eliminate the drug trade. It'll be a long hard slog, but if we let them try, surely they can wipe out drug use in the United States.

Many Americans will undoubtedly end up in jail for their part in the drug trade, but letting the Ecuadorian military operate on our soil is of paramount importance to the national security of Ecuador, all Andean countries in general, and of course, our own.

President Correa actually survived a coup attempt last year by his own police force, who were (if I recall correctly) upset that he was cutting their benefits.

If the CIA didn't attach itself to that, we can be pretty sure that they have no intention of assassinating the guy.

It's funny to imagine, but we might be past the point of assassinating Latin American Presidents just cause they gave us lip.  
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 11:30:56 am by Jacobtm »Logged

Why do so many people here cheer on war crimes?
Israel and the United States "killing dozens of civilians with explosives", as you phrase it, has, throughout history, almost always been a good thing.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2012, 12:49:02 pm »
Ignore

The Germans have been operating a base (inside of a US base) in New Mexico for like 15 years.  link

that's just a training program, not really a base of operations.

Do not fight with one another over my banning.  I've enjoyed the time I have spent with all of you, but the time really has come for me to leave.  It is what I want.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9Y_GLT4_9I

I looked over Jordan, and what did I see?
Coming for to carry me home,
A band of angels coming after me,
Coming for to carry me home.

Swing low, sweet chariot,
Coming for to carry me home.
patrick1
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2012, 01:43:50 pm »
Ignore

A more pressing issue, who do you think will win the 2008 Democratic primary?  Are you really digging up nearly 5 year old articles so you can hop up on your soapbox?
dead0man
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2012, 07:11:14 pm »
Ignore

Nobody knows why Lewis's idea is so funny?

Bacon King
Moderators
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2012, 07:46:29 pm »
Ignore

Nobody knows why Lewis's idea is so funny?

It'd be like a reverse Guantanamo?

BK without all the crazy drugs just wouldn't be BK.
Bacon King: 1.  You're cute, in a weird Tom Wopat kind of way.
dead0man
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2012, 08:04:20 pm »
Ignore

Nope.

Vosem
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2012, 09:10:07 pm »
Ignore

It's funny to imagine, but we might be past the point of assassinating Latin American Presidents just cause they gave us lip.  

My fear of Obama having this exact opinion is the reason I voted for McCain. I most certainly hope we are not past that point and will never get there.
True Federalist
Ernest
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2012, 09:16:34 pm »

Well that would be funny.  I'd tell you why, but it's more fun to keep you in the dark. 

IIRC, Tampa Bay was the staging area for the troops who invaded Cuba in the Spanish-American War.

patrick1
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2012, 09:19:43 pm »
Ignore

You taking the Ybor City and its history as a Cuban emigre haven angle or the MacDill one.
dead0man
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2012, 11:53:58 pm »
Ignore

Nope and nope.

edit-and it's nowhere near as complicated as you guys are making it
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 11:58:43 pm by dead0man »Logged

patrick1
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2012, 12:25:00 am »
Ignore

Nope and nope.

edit-and it's nowhere near as complicated as you guys are making it

You thinking the 2012 RNC.
Tidewater_Wave
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2012, 12:30:59 am »
Ignore

This is going to happen in the immediate future.
dead0man
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2012, 12:54:36 am »
Ignore

You thinking the 2012 RNC.
Nope...it's got nothing to do with politics.  It's a geography thing.  As a reminder...

shua
YaBB God
Russian Federation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2012, 01:21:39 am »
Ignore

All those ships would get stuck in the mud?

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout