Move over, Rick Scott! Chafee is approaching Taft Territory!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:16:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Move over, Rick Scott! Chafee is approaching Taft Territory!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Move over, Rick Scott! Chafee is approaching Taft Territory!  (Read 8269 times)
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2012, 07:56:18 PM »

He's probably talking about Taft's rating in proportion to Chafee's.

As in: Person A has an approval rating of 30%, Person B has an approval rating of 45%. Therefore, Person B has 50% higher approval; 45:30 = 1.5
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2012, 11:14:16 PM »

Chafee's heavy disapproval is exactly because of the reasons already given:

1) he has no base. he was elected with 36% of the vote almost entirely from liberal democrats who were sick of caprio (the dem nominee) bashing obama, telling him to "shove" his endorsement. even in a state like RI, with a lot of blue collar/catholic dems, that didnt go over well, in addition to independents who didn't hate chafee's tenure as senator.

2) the "holiday tree" BS. never mind that his predecessor, carcieri, ALSO called it a holiday tree. talk radio in RI (with 2 right-wing morning/afternoon hosts, and a centrist-right leaning former mayor of providence and convicted felon, buddy cianci, mocking him for days about it). talk radio in RI loves to mock chafee, it's like a sport.

3) he pissed off democrats by advocating union pension reform -- which WAS necessary, as much as it pains me to say. to chafee's credit, he didn't go on bashing teachers like the rest of republicans do in RI.

4) 11% unemployment in rhode island. dysfunctional state government. I can't believe this state sometimes, it makes New York look like a political Eden.

As an aside, my dad worked on Ken Block's campaign, the "Moderate Party" nominee. He got 5 or 6 percent.
hopper
United States

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2012, 10:01:39 PM »

RI usually goes for a Moderate Republican governor. Chafee is more liberal than the Moderate Republicans that usually get voted in in RI I guess.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2012, 03:09:42 AM »

Does Rhode Island allow recalls?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2012, 03:15:15 AM »

Also a terrible economy and endemic corruption that doesn't hit him personally but doesn't make people feel good about government.

Here in California, we have the 2nd highest unemployment rate. 62% say the state is on the wrong track, versus only 30% that say it is going in the right direction. And yet Jerry Brown still has a decent 45-38 rating.
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2012, 07:29:42 PM »

So this is what happens when a third-party candidate gets elected to statewide office. :/

I'm disappointed to see this.  I supported him for the election.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2012, 07:48:14 PM »

Rick Scott is reasonably popular nowadays.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2012, 05:38:01 PM »

Reasonably? He's at 36%. That's 16 points below his disapprove rating. He is by no means popular (see the new organization Pink Slip Rick, and the semi-common nickname "Governor Voldemort").
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2012, 05:40:58 PM »

Reasonably? He's at 36%. That's 16 points below his disapprove rating. He is by no means popular (see the new organization Pink Slip Rick, and the semi-common nickname "Governor Voldemort").

Other polls have shown him doing quite a bit better.

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/the-buzz-florida-politics/content/gov-rick-scott-still-unpopular-approval-inches-new-timesheraldbay-news-9-poll

More than four in 10 Florida voters, 43 percent, approve of Scott's job performance a year into his first term; 47 percent disapprove; while 10 percent are not sure.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2012, 09:20:19 PM »

Other polls have shown him doing quite a bit better.

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/the-buzz-florida-politics/content/gov-rick-scott-still-unpopular-approval-inches-new-timesheraldbay-news-9-poll

More than four in 10 Florida voters, 43 percent, approve of Scott's job performance a year into his first term; 47 percent disapprove; while 10 percent are not sure.

That poll's from Jan. 30. One from March 28th by Quinnipiac has him at 36% approve.

http://www.quinnipiac.edu/institutes-and-centers/polling-institute/presidential-swing-states-%28fl-oh-and-pa%29/release-detail?ReleaseID=1727
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2012, 03:35:06 PM »
« Edited: April 15, 2012, 04:10:52 PM by Meeker »

So this is what happens when a third-party candidate gets elected to statewide office. :/

Nah, third party candidates (Ventura, King, Sanders) can be effective and popular politicians in their states. Chafee does have two years to recover but he needs to carve out a base.

Ventura was actually very unpopular when he left office and Sanders is basically a Democrat in everything but name.

"Pox on both your houses" independents are rarely very successful.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2012, 03:52:42 PM »

Yes, that's the whole reason Ventura didn't run for re-election.

For another example, see the gubernatorial term of Lowell Weicker.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2012, 04:03:26 PM »

One really wonders who these 36% or 43% of Floridians are, considering Scott is objectively a felon in every sense but the legal nicety of limited liability.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2012, 04:24:21 PM »

One really wonders who these 36% or 43% of Floridians are, considering Scott is objectively a felon in every sense but the legal nicety of limited liability.

Well, given his lack of popularity, he's had to take drastic measures. His website (rickscottforflorida.com) actually has an area (Email a Newspaper Editor) where you can send an form letter to a newspaper editor, because regular Floridians simply won't do that. But as to who supports him: not liberal arts majors, especially anthropologists.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2012, 04:27:21 PM »

Well, a majority of Florida voters did vote for him despite his criminal record. Florida voters need to have some sense beat into them.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2012, 04:37:44 PM »

Well, a majority of Florida voters did vote for him despite his criminal record. Florida voters need to have some sense beat into them.

Well not a majority. Not that 48% of Florida voters voting for a felon involved in millions of dollars of fraud is much better.
hopper
United States

« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2012, 08:51:41 PM »

Yes, that's the whole reason Ventura didn't run for re-election.

For another example, see the gubernatorial term of Lowell Weicker.
Thats because he ran against the income tax and than implented it as Governor. I heard the people of Connecticut were very mad at him for that at that time. He barely passed the income tax. It took a vote from the LT. Governor at the time to pass the income tax. In the CT. State House the vote was close (75-73.) Weicker's unpopularity started the whole Rowland/Rell era. The couple posters on here from Connecticut know more about this than I do. I'm from NJ myself.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2012, 10:59:31 PM »

Nah, third party candidates (Ventura, King, Sanders) can be effective and popular politicians in their states. Chafee does have two years to recover but he needs to carve out a base.

Ventura, King and Sanders are some combination of charismatic or quirky. Lincoln Chafee is as bland as baked chicken at a country club dinner party. He's benefited from a lot of name recognition (his dad was a Rockefeller Republican Senator for several decades before he died and his son was appointed to replace him). I remember reading an article about his '06 re-election campaign that talked about how he just sort of stood off to the side at a campaign meet-and-greet and didn't really interact with anybody.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies