Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 20, 2014, 09:30:07 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
| |-+  Election What-ifs? (Moderators: Bacon King, Dallasfan65)
| | |-+  Bush vs Obama 2012 Election Night and on Timeline
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print
Poll
Question: How would you rate this timeline?
Great   -5 (10.2%)
Good   -5 (10.2%)
Okay   -6 (12.2%)
Poor   -5 (10.2%)
Bad This Needs to Stop   -28 (57.1%)
No Opinion   -0 (0%)
Show Pie Chart
Total Voters: 49

Author Topic: Bush vs Obama 2012 Election Night and on Timeline  (Read 10634 times)
ōcēlōxōchitl
a Person
YaBB God
Germany

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2012, 09:40:02 am »
Ignore

Again, any questions let me know.
Are you aware of the fact that your timelines are ludicrously implausible?

GPORTER
gporter
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2012, 02:41:32 pm »
Ignore

Democrats had disappointments to live with in the senate. I'm not going to go into detail but just some state races: Maine, Massachusetts, Nevada, Virgina, Missouri, Minnesota, and Nebraska. Republicans also had some surprise losses: Wisconsin, Florida, Montana, Hawaii.

Contrary to what some polling says, Republicans are not expected to beat Herb Kohl, so it wouldn't be a surprise loss. I don't want to go into my own predictions, but I see a very, very, very strong Democratic turnout in Wisconsin this fall. More surprising is your loss in Tennessee, which is quite ironic considering your affinity for Republican blowouts. How exactly does Bob Corker lose, and who does he lose to? Maybe you mentioned it somewhere but I didn't see it.

Herb Kohl retired, it was Tammy Baldwin vs Tommy Thompson. Baldwin won by two and a half percentage points. Just a classic, closely contested, hard fought political battle in the Wisconsin senate race.

I do live in Tennessee and I know some people from Chattanooga, Corker's home town, and of course I know people across the state. I've heard some people talk about there being questions about workers that Corker hired during his time as a business owner and even some fundraising issues. But, most of the issues come from people he hired. Corker falls narrowly to Al Gore III.

This Gore is the one who was hit by a car in the late 1980s and survived. He is the youngest son of Al and Tipper Gore. Having beaten Corker, he becomes the youngest member of the senate. He is thirty years old by the time he is sworn into office. Gore wins by about the same margin in Tennessee 2012 as Biden did in Delaware 1972.

GPORTER
gporter
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2012, 03:18:18 pm »
Ignore

Election 2014: Two Days to Go
Good afternoon, this is what in two days will be election 2014 central. President Bush has presided over a improving economy which seems to be helping most republicans nationwide. However, Bush sees his approval rating drop due to some scandals involving vice president Bennett. Makes for an interesting election. Will a 45% job approval rating cost the republicans nationwide or will republicans, using an emphasis on the improving economy, widen their already set majorities in congress? And its not only the congress, there are many state houses up for grabs. Ohio, a rematch this time, Ted Strikland survived a tough primary to win renomination. Can he beat governor Kasich in a rematch. Rick Perry in Texas, running against the daughter of former late governor Ann Richards, will Perry live to fight another day? Perry has been governor of Texas since George W Bush narrowly won the presidency in 2000. In 2014, Rick Perry is asking for yet another four years as governor. That will be a hot race to watch among others.

But lets begin the coverage with the united state senate. The democrats need a net gain of four seats to retake control. Its possible. Lets pull up the latest polling map for the senate and look it over. A reminder, blue represents a democratic lead, red a republican lead, and yellow indicates a race is simply too close to call according to polling. Dark Blue represents strong democratic, light blue lean democratic. On the other side, dark red represents strong republican, light red lean republican. Lets pull up this map, remind you these are only polls:

Well, we tried to bring you the map, the graphic is not working at the moment. But lets look at the polling results in a list format.

Senate races where the polling suggests a strong democratic lead:
Maine
Rhode Island
Delaware
West Virgnia
Virgnia
Illinois
Colorado
New Mexico
Montana

Senate races where the polling suggests a lean democratic lead:
New Hampshire
Massachussetts
North Carolina
Kentucky
Michigan
South Dakota
Oregon

Senate races where the polling suggests a race too close to call:
New Jersey
Arkansas
Iowa
Minnesota

Senate races where the polling suggests a lean republican lead:
South Carolina
Georgia
Tennessee
Louisiana

Senate races where the polling suggests a strong republican lead:
Alabama
Mississippi
Texas
Oklahoma
Kansas
Nebraska
Wyoming
Idaho

Really that polling offers few surprises and I think that if those polls stood, republicans would hold the united states senate. Some big things in that poll. Kentucky, shows the democratic challenger defeating senate majority leader Mitch McConnell. Susan Collins retiring in Maine, the democrat has a big lead there. John Kerry retiring in Massachussetts, Carl Levin in Michigan, Dick Durbin in Illinois. Those are all seats that democrats hold going into this election. Some of them could flip. Michigan and Massachussetts only show a lean democratic tilt right now in polling. And we all know how wrong polls can be.

It would be the first time in almost 100 years that Massachussetts has two republican senators, if the republican were to win there. That would be historic. Michigan and Illinois would be big news too.

If republicans start to pick up any of those three seats, those democrats might wish that they had not retired.

Polling suggests that had Kerry, Levin, and Durbin run again. They would poll strongly and win big if they had run again, with their retirements, republicans have a chance. They would all easily win reelection. Would definently be a disappointment to these retiring democratic senators, to see republicans succeed them.

Theres a chance, but these are only polls. The voters have the final say on election day. We are coming back, this is campaign 2014 preview: two days to go. Stay with us.

old timey villain
cope1989
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 15, 2012, 02:17:45 pm »
Ignore

Democrats had disappointments to live with in the senate. I'm not going to go into detail but just some state races: Maine, Massachusetts, Nevada, Virgina, Missouri, Minnesota, and Nebraska. Republicans also had some surprise losses: Wisconsin, Florida, Montana, Hawaii.

Contrary to what some polling says, Republicans are not expected to beat Herb Kohl, so it wouldn't be a surprise loss. I don't want to go into my own predictions, but I see a very, very, very strong Democratic turnout in Wisconsin this fall. More surprising is your loss in Tennessee, which is quite ironic considering your affinity for Republican blowouts. How exactly does Bob Corker lose, and who does he lose to? Maybe you mentioned it somewhere but I didn't see it.

Herb Kohl retired, it was Tammy Baldwin vs Tommy Thompson. Baldwin won by two and a half percentage points. Just a classic, closely contested, hard fought political battle in the Wisconsin senate race.

I do live in Tennessee and I know some people from Chattanooga, Corker's home town, and of course I know people across the state. I've heard some people talk about there being questions about workers that Corker hired during his time as a business owner and even some fundraising issues. But, most of the issues come from people he hired. Corker falls narrowly to Al Gore III.

This Gore is the one who was hit by a car in the late 1980s and survived. He is the youngest son of Al and Tipper Gore. Having beaten Corker, he becomes the youngest member of the senate. He is thirty years old by the time he is sworn into office. Gore wins by about the same margin in Tennessee 2012 as Biden did in Delaware 1972.

Ok, that was my mistake then. I forgot that Herb Kohl is retiring. I still don't see Republicans picking up another senate seat in Wisconsin this year. As I said, with the controversy surrounding Scott Walker and the recall efforts, I still predict a strong democratic turnout that will deliver a democratic win. I do think that Wisconsin is trending R, but it won't happen that quickly.

Can't we all just get along?
GPORTER
gporter
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 15, 2012, 03:10:22 pm »
Ignore

Ok, that was my mistake then. I forgot that Herb Kohl is retiring. I still don't see Republicans picking up another senate seat in Wisconsin this year. As I said, with the controversy surrounding Scott Walker and the recall efforts, I still predict a strong democratic turnout that will deliver a democratic win. I do think that Wisconsin is trending R, but it won't happen that quickly.

Any thoughts on the 2014 analysis so far?

GPORTER
gporter
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 15, 2012, 04:49:11 pm »
Ignore

Back here at the preview of election 2014. Lets pull up this final poll for the senate races. This will show a prediction based on polling of how the balance of power in the senate supposedly stands according to the polls:

With the undecideds having a make a decision only based on polling, cannot say that enough. If they polls were completley accurate with the actual returns on election night, this is what the balance of power in the senate would look like at the end of the night:

Republican: 54        Democrat: 46        51 needed for absolute majority
R +1

That says that if the polls are absolutely correct, which they could be. If the polls are 100% in line with the election results, our polling estimate is that republicans keep control of congress. Picking up a net one seat in the senate and two seats in the house. Extending their majorities in congress by a bare margin.

That senate polling prediction is with the undecideds having to make a decision. Yes, and you can do the math to guess where those races undecided would go. But, tied into the polling and forcing the four undecided races to join one side, if these polls were accurate with the results, the republicans would have a net gain of one in the senate.

We are coming back with more on this election 2014: two days to go edition. Stay with us
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 04:52:19 pm by GPORTER »Logged

old timey villain
cope1989
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2012, 10:47:33 pm »
Ignore

[/quote]

[/quote]

Who's Chambliss running against in Georgia, or did Chambliss retire? Do you think Metro Atlanta continues to trend Democrat in 2014?

Can't we all just get along?
GPORTER
gporter
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2012, 09:00:34 pm »
Ignore

[/quote]

Who's Chambliss running against in Georgia, or did Chambliss retire? Do you think Metro Atlanta continues to trend Democrat in 2014?
[/quote]

Its Martin vs Chambliss rematch. Like six years ago, the Martin camp is hoping for another upset. But, the strong economy seems to be treating Chambliss well. Its an interesting race, Martin is confident but has low name recognition. He was proud of his performance in 2008, but came up short and he expected that. Chambliss, is a good man but gets in trouble with ads and character from time to time. Who will it be? One of the most interesting races of the night.

GPORTER
gporter
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 19, 2012, 11:41:14 pm »
Ignore

Election Night 2014 Open
Good evening, and welcome to our election night 2014 coverage. Tonight, the President is not on the ballot, but we are following closley the balance of power in the next congress and a number of state houses across the nation. This is our election night 2014 coverage.

Election Night 2014: the Mid Term Elections
Yes, and it is 7 o'clock on the east coast and I believe we have some projections. Lets start with the senate. In the Kentucky senate race, between incumbent senate majority leader republican Mitch McConnell and 2010 looser Jack Conway, that race is undecided at this hour.

Conway seemed to hold a strong lead in the polls going into tonight. We'll see if that holds up. In Georgia, a rematch between democrat Jim Martin and incumbent republican senator Saxby Chambliss, that race is also undecided at this hour. Chambliss was seen to have a slight lead there going into tonight. Do we have a senate projection anywhere at this hour? Yes, we can project that Lindsey Grahm will return to Washington. That was a race that democrats thought they had a chance in but it was not to be. Grahm wins in South Carolina.

In Virgnia, Mark Warner wins another term there in Virgnia. That is a democratic hold. And that is the senate at this hour. Lets look at the map:

Republican: 41        Democrat: 28        51 needed for absolute majority

We need to remember, those numbers make it look like democrats have an uphill climb to retake control of the senate. In many ways they do, but democrats are favored to hold at least a handfull of their seats tonight, so that number will rise reasonably quickly from 28. Will it be enough for a majority? Its too early to say.

I think the first two projections don't surprise a lot of people. Grahm is a popular figure in the South Carolina republican party. Been in the senate for a long time, he ran against a weak opponent. Some analysts believe that if he had a stronger challenger, that race could have been more competetive.

The problem with that is that South Carolina really doesn't have a very good democratic bench. Its tough to get elected as a democrat in South Carolina.

Lets turn to the governors desk at this hour. In Florida, Charlie Crist running as a democrat against incumbent republican Rick Scott. Democrats have hopes to take back the Florida state house for the first time since 1999. What a sweet victory that would be for democrats. Crist leads, but at this time, we have to say this race is undecided.

In South Carolina, a rematch between incumbent republican Nikki Haley and democrat Vincent Sheheen. Its undecided there also.

Maybe a big republican vote for the senate race there will help Haley. Sheheen is a strong challenger. Haley had ethics issues and she only led by a point or two according to polls coming into today, this might be a close race tonight.

In Vermont, between the democratic lieutenant governor there and Brian Dubie, Dubie lost a governor race and a senate race in the last four years. Hes running again tonight. We can project and this might be a major projection, Doug Racine, the democrat, is the next governor of Vermont. That is actually a pick up for democrats in the Vermont state house. More on why its a pick up later. Racine wins in Vermont.

In Georgia, incumbent republican Nathan Deal wins there. Deal wins in Georgia.

Any thoughts quickly so far before we go to break?

Well an intersting set of returns. There are some close senate races out there tonight, republicans are expected to retain control of both houses of congress. Or at least thats what the polls say. But, democrats would have to do a lot to gain control of congress. Republicans are probably favored to retain control of both houses of congress at this time.

Real quick, Vermont governor race is a democratic pick up? But people are saying, wait a minute, governor Shumlin was elected there in 2010 as a democrat, this is only four years later. Why is it a pickup?

Because Shumlin won a senate race in 2012. So, he left the state house to serve in the senate. In Vermont, governors and lieutenant governors are not elected on the same ballot. Which means a governor could be of one party and the lieutenant governor of another. This is the case here.

I said quick...

I am. In this case, the outgoing governor who was the lieutenant governor is a republican. He chose to retire instead of running for his own full term. The democrat wins picking up the state house.

More of this evening that is just beginning coming up. Election night 2014 coming back. Stay with us.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 11:44:26 pm by GPORTER »Logged

GPORTER
gporter
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2012, 12:39:22 pm »
Ignore

Okay, it was late last night so lets give you the races that we projected last night:

Lindsey Graham Wins South Carolina Senate Election

Mark Warner Wins Virgnia Senate Election

Nathan Deal Wins Georgia Gubernatorial Election

Doug Racine Wins Vermont Gubernatorial Election

It is now 7:30 on the east coast. Some polls are closing, lets look them over.

In West Virgnia, we can project that the senate race there is undecided. Jay Rockefeller seeking a sixth term in the united states senate. Its undecided.

In Ohio, we can project, and this is a surprise, the incumbent republican John Kasich will be returned to the state house for another term. This is big news, he defeats former democratic governor Ted Strikland in a rematch. Kasich wins a second term in Ohio as the polls close.

John Kasich Wins Ohio Gubernatorial Election

My thats a big call that will leave Ohio democrats scratching their heads.

Look, Kasich benefited from the economy improving nationwide. He was unpopular there in the first two years, these second two years have seen much improvement.

Ted Strikland?

His age was an issue. Ted Strikland won the Ohio govenorship in 2006 by a landslide due to a democratic wave and an outgoing unpopular republican governor. The Ohio economy suffered during his four years in office. And hes not a bad guy, but he couldn't meet the modern political world. And he suffered for both things. He caught up in the polls in the last weeks here, but at least according to these projections, hes loosing tonight by a comfortable margin.

We can declare that Jay Rockefeller will be coming back to the senate for a sixth term.

Jay Rockefeller Wins West Virgnia Senate Election
Republican: 42        Democrat: 29        51 needed for absolute majority

More coming up.

GPORTER
gporter
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 20, 2012, 07:57:45 pm »
Ignore

Welcome back, it is 8 o'clock on the east coast and we have some states closing their polls now. There are some projections. Lets look them over.

In Alabama, Jeff Sessions, the republican incumbent, wins another term to the senate. A hold for the republicans in the state of Alabama. In Delaware, a 2010 rematch between incumbent democratic senator Chris Coons and republican Christine O'Donnell, that race is at this hour, undecided. In Illinois, big news here, Alex Giannoulias wins that seat holding it for the democrats. Dick Durbin retired there. Giannoulias lost narrowly in 2010, but he wins easily tonight. A hold for the democrats in Illinois.

In Maine, its a three way race between republican Bruce Poliquin, democrat Cynthia Dill, and independent Angus King. King leads in that race for the senate, but its undecided at this time. Susan Collins retired this year instead of seeking reelection. The Maine race is undecided. In Massachussetts, John Kerry retired here too. A handfull of senate retirements this year. Martha Coakley, who lost a bitter race to replace the late former senator Ted Kennedy, Coakley defeated outgoing democratic governor Deval Patrick in an upset in the primary. She faces republican Charlie Baker, that race is undecided at this hour. We can say that Baker is behind in that race at this time however.

In the Michigan senate race, its former governor, democrat, Jennifer Granholm against Tagg Romney. Yes, the son of Mitt Romney. That race is undecided at this hour. Thad Cochran wins again in Mississippi. A hold again for the republicans. Frank Lautenberg wins yet another term in New Jersey. This is big news, he hopes to turn 100 in the united states senate. Lautenberg defeats Dick Zimmer again in New Jersey. A hold there for the democrats.

In Oklahoma, the race there between incumbent republican James Inholfe and former democratic governor Brad Henry, that race is undecided at this hour. In Tennessee, Lamar Alexander wins another term as a republican in Tennessee. A hold for the republicans there. In Texas, a race between Bill White, the democrat, and incumbent republican John Cornyn, that race is too early to call at this time. Lets turn and look at our senate map as it stands now.

Jeff Sessions Wins Alabama Senate Election

Alex Giannoulias Wins Illinois Senate Election

Thad Cochran Wins Mississippi Senate Election

Frank Lautenberg Wins New Jersey Senate Election

Lamar Alexander Wins Tennessee Senate Election

Republican: 45        Democrat: 32        51 needed for absolute majority

We are coming back with governor projections at this hour. Stay with us.

GPORTER
gporter
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2012, 11:10:22 am »
Ignore

Welcome back lets turn to our governors at this hour.

In Alabama, no surprise here. Robert Bentley wins in Alabama. The incumbent wins a second term there, a hold for the republicans. In Connecticut, the race there is undecided. In Illinois, its a race between incumbent Pat Quinn seeking his second full term, but republican challenger Judy Topinka is going to try to stop him. That race is undecided.

In Maine, we are seeing some easy republican winners first Ohio and now Maine. Former senator Olympia Snowe, she wins the state house in Maine as a republican. Snowe wins the governorship in Maine.  In Maryland, that race at this hour is undecided. O'Malley holds a lead in that race right now however.

This just in and big news for democrats. Martha Coakley will go on to win her race tonight and go to the united states senate. Coakley suceeds retiring senator John Kerry in Massachussetts. Democrats will be breathing a sigh of relief about that one. Coakley wins in Massachussetts.

In Massachussetts, also. We told you about the senate race just a moment ago. But, also in the state house, democrat Tim Murray wins the governorship of Massachussets. He suceeds retiring governor Deval Patrick there. In Michigan, this is another surprise, we can declare that when all of the votes are in and counted, Rick Snyder will win another term to the state house there. A hold for the republicans. Four years ago, this was a bright spot for republicans, this was where democrats fell below 40% of the vote. Will that happen tonight? Maybe, but probably not. Anyway, governor Snyder the republican of Michigan wins a second term.

In New Hampshire, he thought about retiring, but in the end decided to run for reelection. Will incumbent democrat John Lynch win again? We don't know at this hour, its undecided. In Oklahoma, that race is also undecided. The incumbent republican seeking reelection. In Pennsylvania, its a rematch of 2010. Tom Corbett is trying to continue the wins in Michigan and Ohio, will he? Its undecided. In South Dakota, Dennis Daugaard wins again there. A hold for the republicans. And in Tennessee, yes read it and weep for some on both sides, but Bill Haslam wins a second term in the Tennessee state house. A hold for the republicans.

Robert Bentley Wins Alabama Gubernatorial Election

Olympia Snowe Wins Maine Gubernatorial Election

Martha Coakley Wins Massachussetts Senate Election

Tim Murray Wins Massachussetts Gubernatorial Election

Rick Snyder Wins Michigan Gubernatorial Election

Dennis Daugaard Wins South Dakota Gubernatorial Election

Bill Haslam Wins Tennessee Gubernatorial Election

Were coming back. Stay with us on election night 2014. Stay with us.

Republican: 45        Democrat: 33        51 needed for absolute majority

election night 2014

GPORTER
gporter
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 21, 2012, 11:34:48 am »
Ignore

We have what could be a major and a surprise projection. Hold on to your hats. Brad Henry defeats James Inholfe in Oklahoma. Senator Inholfe will not return to Washington. That word just in here. An upset in Oklahoma tonight.

Brad Henry Wins Oklahoma Senate Election
Republican: 45        Democrat; 34        51 needed for absolute majority

Thats a surprise, keeps this an interesting night.

Yeah I mean republicans doing what appears to be well in the governor races. And democrats pick up a senate seat in Oklahoma of all places. Delaware is still outstanding.

We will be back. Stay with us.

GPORTER
gporter
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 21, 2012, 04:12:25 pm »
Ignore

Welcome back, we have some more states to declare. Arkansas and North Carolina have both let their polls close. We have some interesting races to tell you about in these states.

First of all, Kay Hagan wins a second term to the senate in North Carolina. She defeats a republican congressman from that state. North Carolina is a hold for the democrats. In Arkansas, a come back that she could not have even forseen, Blanche Lincoln returns to the united states senate as she defeats Jim Holt, the republican. She succeeds retiring senator Mark Pryor. Blanche Lincoln to return to Washington.

In the Arkansas governorship, the race between democrat Bill Halter and republican Mark Darr, that race at this time is undecided. Now to return to our map.

Kay Hagan Wins North Carolina Senate Election

Blanche Lincoln Wins Arkansas Senate Election

Republican: 45        Democrat: 36        51 needed for absolute majority

Come back and try to help us make sense of these returns. Stay with us.

GPORTER
gporter
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 21, 2012, 07:20:26 pm »
Ignore

Welcome back, just before going to the 9 o'clock hour. We can project that Saxi Chambliss will return to the senate. Chambliss wins in Georgia. A hold for the republicans.

Saxy Chambliss Wins Georgia Senate Election
Republican: 46        Democrat: 36        51 needed for absolute majority

That might help clinch the senate control for republicans before democrats try to catch them.

Democrats are certainly performing stronger than expected tonight in the race for control of the senate.

Well, a lot of these seats were favored to go democrat, and when you look at it, we've called thirteen senate races tonight. Of those thirteen, they are about evenly split, with democrats winning eight and republicans five. Its an interesting night.

We have more states closing their polls. We will have some more developments to tell you about. Stay with us.

GPORTER
gporter
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 21, 2012, 07:27:13 pm »
Ignore

Anyone want to take a stab in the dark and guess what the exact balance of power in the new senate will be? Last election and congress it was 53-47 republican majority. What will it be in 2014?

GPORTER
gporter
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 22, 2012, 12:58:21 pm »
Ignore

Good evening again and it is now 9 o'clock on the east coast. We have a host of states where polls have closed across the nation. We have some projections at this time. This is the hour when republicans hope to clinch control of the senate in the next congress. Lets see if they can at this the 9 o'clock hour on the east coast.

For the senate, in Colorado, that race was one republicans had some hope of winning early on, but in the end, the incumbent Mark Udall wins another term to the united states senate from Colorado. Udall wins in Colorado, a hold for the democrats. Heres one for the republicans, Pat Roberts wins another term to the united states senate from the state of Kansas. Roberts wins again in Kansas.

So what is the number now, republicans need to win only four more senate contests tonight to claim control of the senate in the next congress.

Yes they need four more wins in senate contests tonight. Democrats trying to catch up but still reasonably far behind. Lets go onto another call. In Louisiana, its incumbent democrat Mary Landreiu trying to hold her seat for another six years. She will have to turn back a challenge from her 2002 challenger, republican Suzanne Terrell. That  race at least at this hour is undecvided.

Terrell led in the poills going into tonight. Landreiu seems to be vulnerable there. In Minnesota, Al Franken is in a tight race with former republican governor Tim Pawlenty. That race is undecided.

Probably one of the more interesting races to watch tonight. In Nebraska, this is a win for republicans. Mike Johanns wins another term there. A hold for republicans in Nebraska. In New Hampshire, Jean Sheheen wins another term to the senate there. A hold for the democrats in New Hampshire.

In New Mexico, Heather Wilson, the loser in the states 2012 senate election is running against incumbent democrat Tom Udall in New Mexico. That race is also undecided at this hour. Would be an upset if Wilson defeateed Udall there, but it could happen. A few more senate projections to go through in this linne up, in Rhode Island John Reed easily reelected. Thats a hold for the democrats. In South Dakota, senator Johnson gets a stiff challenge from former republican governor of that state Michael Rounds. That race is also undecided at this timme.

And finally in Wyoming, Michael Enzi goes onto win another term to the senate. Thats a hold for the republicans. And two more to three more to tell you about, in Delaware, Chris Coons goes on to win his first full term to the senate. He defeats republican Christine O'Donnell for a second time. Coons wins in Delaware. Also in Maine, this is a surprise and should add some flavor to the senate for the next six years,. Angus King wins in Maine as an independent. He succeeds retiring republican Susan Collins there. And in Kentucky, the republicans enate majority leader Mitch McConnell, hes going back to Washington. McConnell pulls out his race in kentcuky to win a sixth term to the senate.

Lets see how those projections shape the balance of power in the next senate.

Mark Udall Wins Colorado Senate Election

Pat Roberts Wins Kansas Senate Election

Mark Johhanns Wins Nebraska Senate Election

Jean Sheheen Wins New Hampshire Senate Election

John Reed Wins Rhode Island Senate Election

Michael Enzi Wins Wyoming Senate Election

Chris Coons Wins Delaware Senate Election

Angus King Wins Maine Senate Election

Mitch McConnell Wins Kentucky Senate Election

Republican: 50        Democrat: 40        Independent: 1        51 needed fro absolute majority

And if you look at that map and those senate calculations, it looks like republicans will at least have the upper hand in the next senate. Vice President Bennett would cast the tie breaking vote.

It also depends on where Angus King goes in the senate. There was no guarantee that he would caucus with the democrats.

Another thing that we need to remember is that the Idaho senate race will have its polls close at 11 o'clock on the east coast. The republican is very much favored to win there tonight. That would give republicans at least 51 seats needed for majority.

I think that reality is setting in now for democrats when it comes to who will control the senate. Republicans especially after winning Georgia and Kentucky, they seem to be in pretty good shape to control the senate.

We will come right back with the governor projections at this 9 o'clock hour and more from election night 2014. Stay with us.

GPORTER
gporter
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 22, 2012, 01:57:59 pm »
Ignore

Welcome back to election night 2014 mid term elections coverage. We don't have any projections for you at this time. Governor projections for the 9 o'clock hour will come up shortly. Lets just have a little bit of a discussion here. First of all, that Kentucky senate race. Incumbent republican Mitch McConnell, the senate majority leader, looks like he will remain the senate majority leader at least for the next two years, because he has won his race according to our projections. Any thoughts on that race?

Well, first of all, democrats thought they had a real chance to win. They led in the polls going into today in that Kentucky senate race and were looking forward to knocking off McConnell, which apparently is not happening that way tonight. Its a disappointment for them.

His opponent was the lieutenant governor of that state.

Yes, and the funny thing is, this is not the first lieutenant governor of Kentucky to run for a senate seat. Remember four years ago, the lieutenant governor that year lost in the democratic primary, and Rand Paul won that senate seat. Now lieutenant governor Abramson is loosing a senate race tonight too.

Talking about Kentucky and the lieutenant governor. There is some question of which Governor Beshear will keep him as lieutenant governor now that he has lost his race. The last time, he didn't.

Well, this is different. Four yers ago...

yers? You were trying to talk in a Kentucky accent...

Yes...no, four years ago, governor Beshear was in his first term. And the lieutenant governor had planned to run for reelection with him, until he decided to run for the senate. Today, for years later, Beshear is in his second term as governor and is not running again in 2015. I think that Beshear will keep Abramson on.

We are coming back with more discussion. Stay with us.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 10:03:09 pm by GPORTER »Logged

GPORTER
gporter
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 22, 2012, 08:22:09 pm »
Ignore

Lets look at the governor projections at this hour. Here we go:

In Arizona, its a 2010 rematch. Incumbent republican Jan Brewer running against former Arizona attorney general and 2010 looser Terry Goddard. Goddard vs Brewer for the Arizona state house is undecided at this hour. A high profile, tough hard fought campaign there. Undecided at this hour. John Hickenlooper wins another term as governor of Colorado. A hold for the democrats. Try saying that last name ten times fast.

In Kansas, its no contest. Sam Brownback wins a second term as governor of Kansa. Brownback wins in Kansas. A hold for the republicans. And can we say all polls in Michigan have closed, and we can confirm that governor Snyder there has won a second term as projected earlier.

There is a place however where some polls closed at 8 o'clock and the rest of the polls close now. But, we cannot project a winner in either race. John Cornyn is in a surprisingly close race tonight with democrat Bill White, that race previously too early to call is now too close to call. Two term republican John Cornyn fighting for his political life tonight.

Another Texan is also fighting for his poltiical life, Rick Perry is facing a stiff challenge for another term in the governorship against democrat Cecile Richards. She is the daughter of former Texas governor Ann Richards. Its too close to call. More about that race later. There are a few 2010 rematches and this is another one in Minnesota. Its democrat incumbent Mark Dayton vs republican challenger Tom Emmer. That race is also undecided at this hour. Rick Sheehy wins the governorship of Nebraska, a hold for the republicans.

Suzanna Martinez wins another term as governor of New Mexico. Thats a hold for the republicans. Could that help Heather Wilson running for the senate there? We'll find out. In New York, democratic incumbent Andrew Cuomo wins another term there. He is considered to be a contender for the White House in 2016. A hold for the democrats. The race for the Rhode Island state house is undecided at this hour. A race between Feingold and Walker in Wisconsin is undecided at this hour. Tough fight for the republicans there. Matt Mead wins another term as governor of Wisconsin. A hold for the republicans in Wyoming.

John Hickenlooper Wins Colorado Gubernatorial Election

Sam Brownback Wins Kansas Gubernatorial Election

Rick Sheehy Wins Nebraska Gubernatorial Election

Suzanna Martinez Wins New Mexico Gubernatorial Election

Andrew Cuomo Wins New York Gubernatorial Election

Matt Mead Wins Wyoming Gubernatorial Election

Thats quite a lot. Lets look at the map:

We wanted to say something about the Texas governors race. Thats an interesting race. The incumbent...

Dayton wins in Minnesota. Thats a surprise early call. Minnesota democratic governor Mark Dayton wins again in Minnesota. A hold for the democrats.

Republicans are going to have a hard time conceeding that race.

Mark Dayton Wins Minnesota Gubernatorial Election

Thats a big projection. Probably means this is not a republican wave in the governor races tonight. Lets go back to Texas for a moment again.

In that race, its an interesting race. Rick Perry is the longest serving governor of the state of Texas. He became governor when George W Bush narrowly won the presidency in 2000. This is 2014, Perry is asking for yet another four years. You would think, gee after all of that time, wouldn't Texans be tired of Perry. They would be, but his opponent is the leader of Planned Parenthood. An anti abortion group.

An anti abortion leader, but daughter of a former popular democratic governor,  running in a conservative state against the longest serving republican governor of Texas. Its an interesting race to watch there in Texas.

More to come, were coming back.

CainsCane
United States

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2012, 07:43:19 pm »
Ignore

Planned Parenthood is not an ANTI-aboortion group
GPORTER
gporter
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 24, 2012, 09:11:43 pm »
Ignore

Planned Parenthood is not an ANTI-aboortion group

Should planned parenthood cost her that race?

CainsCane
United States

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 25, 2012, 07:03:32 am »
Ignore

Yes. either that or get a more appealing Texas democrat
hawkeye59
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 25, 2012, 08:40:59 am »
Ignore

Yes. either that or get a more appealing Texas democrat
It shouldn't necessarily cost her the race, but it probably would hurt her a bit, considering Texas's views on Planned Parenthood.

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.  So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.- Jack Layton (1950-2011)
GPORTER
gporter
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 26, 2012, 06:26:08 pm »
Ignore

Welcome back, we can declare that Tom Udall is winning again in New Mexico. Thats a hold in the senate for the democrats. Udall wins in New Mexico.

Tom Udall Wins New Mexico Senate Election
Republican: 50        Democrat: 41        Independent: 1        51 needed for absolute majority

We can declare a few more races but first of all, republicans will control the united states senate.

Republicans Retain Control of the United States Senate

In Idaho, Jim Risch wins another term to the senate. Thats a hold for the republicans.

That probably put the senate in their column. Lets move to Iowa, Tom Harkin retired here. We can declare in an upset surprise, that when all the votes are in and counted, Chet Culver will win that race against republican Bob Platts. A hold for the democrats. Culver wins in Iowa.

In Montana, its a race between incumbent democrat Max Baucus and republican Bob Brown. That race, at least at this hour, is undecided.

Patty Judge, former Iowa lieutenant governor, is running against the incumbent Terry Brandstad tonight. Brandstad wins that race. A hold for republicans. Gary Herbert wins another term in Utah as governor. A hold for the republicans. We can say that a race between Brian Sandoval and democrat Rory Reid is undecided at this hour.

More from election night 2014 coming up. Stay with us.

GPORTER
gporter
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 26, 2012, 07:47:53 pm »
Ignore

If I told you that there was a surprise twist coming in the 2016 elections, what would you think it is?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout