Varied Senate Membership Amendment [Debating]
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:27:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Varied Senate Membership Amendment [Debating]
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Varied Senate Membership Amendment [Debating]  (Read 3925 times)
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2012, 01:21:58 AM »

But really, small regions are conducive to creating strongholds. Sure, the Pacific and SE are solid, but the fact that they're small in the first place is a very major reason certain groups managed to take over and in some cases consolidate.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2012, 01:28:44 AM »

But really, small regions are conducive to creating strongholds. Sure, the Pacific and SE are solid, but the fact that they're small in the first place is a very major reason certain groups managed to take over and in some cases consolidate.

It would be pretty crazy to let people register in up to two regions to vote in.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2012, 01:36:53 AM »

Let's try an old pre 17th amendment idea. Have the regional assemblies elect the senators.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #28 on: February 29, 2012, 01:38:07 AM »

It would be pretty crazy to let people register in up to two regions to vote in.

...What?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: February 29, 2012, 01:47:23 AM »

...What?

I was thinking of some random solution possibilities that didn't involve eliminating any of the current regions. That was among the most ridiculous which came to mind. I actually couldn't think of anything practical we could actively do that I think would be a useful solution to a lack of competition.

Personally I feel that having some "safe seats" is fine, but having five seats is too many. Four would be too many. Perhaps Midwesterners and Mideasterners could exchange a few voters. Reducing the number of regions would disappoint me.
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #30 on: February 29, 2012, 06:06:58 AM »

Let's try an old pre 17th amendment idea. Have the regional assemblies elect the senators.

Noooooooooooo
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #31 on: February 29, 2012, 07:12:37 AM »

Noooooooooooo

I concur...
Junkie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -4.35

« Reply #32 on: February 29, 2012, 11:19:59 PM »

I actually have long advocated for the regional senators to be exactly that.  First it makes them true "regional senators" representing the region and second, it makes regional legislatures a much more important spot than just something to do until you run for something else (not saying everybody believes that, but some treat it that way.)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #33 on: February 29, 2012, 11:26:32 PM »

I actually have long advocated for the regional senators to be exactly that.  First it makes them true "regional senators" representing the region and second, it makes regional legislatures a much more important spot than just something to do until you run for something else (not saying everybody believes that, but some treat it that way.)

If we did that, then technically the regional senators would not be representing the views of their constituents; just the views of the representatives.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #34 on: February 29, 2012, 11:48:52 PM »

If we did that, then technically the regional senators would not be representing the views of their constituents; just the views of the representatives.

Who should be representing the interests of the region should they not? Not offering an opinion here, myself. Atleast, not yet Tongue
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2012, 01:21:21 AM »
« Edited: March 01, 2012, 01:23:38 AM by Senator Scott »

I actually have long advocated for the regional senators to be exactly that.  First it makes them true "regional senators" representing the region and second, it makes regional legislatures a much more important spot than just something to do until you run for something else (not saying everybody believes that, but some treat it that way.)

Who should be representing the interests of the region should they not? Not offering an opinion here, myself. Atleast, not yet Tongue

Yes, but the selection of those who write the laws is something I feel the People should have control over.  And it would be a worse idea to move that idea forward in this game than in real life, since there isn't even a lower house composed of directly-elected Representatives that would balance with the Senate in this scenario.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2012, 01:31:21 AM »

And in two of the regions it really wouldn't make a difference at all. The Pacific and Midwest are universal; effectively making their election a popular vote election anyway. I'm not inherently opposed to this idea but I just don't think it would work out well.

Anyway, I'm going to open a final vote on this shortly, just a heads up if people have anything more to say on this.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2012, 01:59:56 AM »

I actually have long advocated for the regional senators to be exactly that.  First it makes them true "regional senators" representing the region and second, it makes regional legislatures a much more important spot than just something to do until you run for something else (not saying everybody believes that, but some treat it that way.)

Yes, but the selection of those who write the laws is something I feel the People should have control over.  And it would be a worse idea to move that idea forward in this game than in real life, since there isn't even a lower house composed of directly-elected Representatives that would balance with the Senate in this scenario.

The idea only concerns half the Senate. What do you think the other half is suppose to be?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2012, 02:16:08 AM »

The idea only concerns half the Senate. What do you think the other half is suppose to be?

Whoops- didn't realize that.  However, I still prefer the current system of having half the Senators represent the population as a whole and the other half represent people of their individual regions.  Representatives picking Senators just doesn't sound very practical.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2012, 01:36:59 PM »

I'll be supporting this amendment.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2012, 01:18:55 PM »

It is probably outside the realm of my delegation of authority from the VP, but I am sick of looking at this.

Senators, a final vote is now open on this constitutional amendment, please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain. 

Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2012, 01:40:39 PM »

I vote Nay. There's no good reason to fire Yankee. Tongue
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2012, 02:15:44 PM »

Nay

I agree with Sbane and the senate membership is pretty varied as it stands now already.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2012, 02:24:28 PM »

While I think term limits are potentially an interesting idea, in practice this would only serve to force long-serving and valuable members out of office - Nay.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2012, 02:30:54 PM »

Nay.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2012, 03:01:07 PM »

In fact we may have to contemplate some of that variance in membership in about 54 hours.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2012, 07:20:15 PM »

Nay
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar