Varied Senate Membership Amendment [Debating] (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:33:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Varied Senate Membership Amendment [Debating] (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Varied Senate Membership Amendment [Debating]  (Read 4012 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« on: February 25, 2012, 06:14:14 PM »

I strongly oppose this.  If the people believe a Senator has served for too many terms and want to see someone new representing them, they are free to vote him out for that reason.  This amendment would take that decision away from the people, which is very undemocratic.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 11:26:32 PM »

I actually have long advocated for the regional senators to be exactly that.  First it makes them true "regional senators" representing the region and second, it makes regional legislatures a much more important spot than just something to do until you run for something else (not saying everybody believes that, but some treat it that way.)

If we did that, then technically the regional senators would not be representing the views of their constituents; just the views of the representatives.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 01:21:21 AM »
« Edited: March 01, 2012, 01:23:38 AM by Senator Scott »

I actually have long advocated for the regional senators to be exactly that.  First it makes them true "regional senators" representing the region and second, it makes regional legislatures a much more important spot than just something to do until you run for something else (not saying everybody believes that, but some treat it that way.)

If we did that, then technically the regional senators would not be representing the views of their constituents; just the views of the representatives.

Who should be representing the interests of the region should they not? Not offering an opinion here, myself. Atleast, not yet Tongue

Yes, but the selection of those who write the laws is something I feel the People should have control over.  And it would be a worse idea to move that idea forward in this game than in real life, since there isn't even a lower house composed of directly-elected Representatives that would balance with the Senate in this scenario.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 02:16:08 AM »

I actually have long advocated for the regional senators to be exactly that.  First it makes them true "regional senators" representing the region and second, it makes regional legislatures a much more important spot than just something to do until you run for something else (not saying everybody believes that, but some treat it that way.)

Who should be representing the interests of the region should they not? Not offering an opinion here, myself. Atleast, not yet Tongue

Yes, but the selection of those who write the laws is something I feel the People should have control over.  And it would be a worse idea to move that idea forward in this game than in real life, since there isn't even a lower house composed of directly-elected Representatives that would balance with the Senate in this scenario.

The idea only concerns half the Senate. What do you think the other half is suppose to be?

Whoops- didn't realize that.  However, I still prefer the current system of having half the Senators represent the population as a whole and the other half represent people of their individual regions.  Representatives picking Senators just doesn't sound very practical.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 02:30:54 PM »

Nay.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length