has the term diversity been co-opted by
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:32:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  has the term diversity been co-opted by
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: has the term diversity been co-opted by  (Read 337 times)
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 25, 2012, 02:28:58 PM »

conservatives to mean anything that is not white? I think that has often caused people to have a negative view of diversity. At times, I often think they have a point where Jesse Jackson's RAINBOW coalition didn't get the memo that black doesn't constitute a rainbow. But I think that those pushing for diversity should promote places that are truly diverse such as Queens or Fort Bend, TX meaning a place where all races (including whites) have room at the table.
tallguy23
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 05:43:50 PM »

Yes I agree. All too often the term Diversity means anybody not white. I actually tok a course in college called Diversity in the Media and we only focused on "racist" portrayals of minority groups. I understand that most people on tv shows/movies are white but it was still a silly class. It was also strange since only about 30% of my college was white. Everyone knew about "diversity" firsthand and didn't even think about it as an issue except for the PC academic department.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 10:57:26 PM »

Interesting anecdote. I remember when I was discussing the issue of energy independence and stressed the need for "energy diversification", the reaction was largely negative. Not because they had a problem with having multiple energy sources readily available to run the cars on, but because they had a negative reaction to word "diversification" and its connotations.

Most certainly spill over effects from that which you describe.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 06:18:49 PM »

conservatives to mean anything that is not white? I think that has often caused people to have a negative view of diversity. At times, I often think they have a point where Jesse Jackson's RAINBOW coalition didn't get the memo that black doesn't constitute a rainbow. But I think that those pushing for diversity should promote places that are truly diverse such as Queens or Fort Bend, TX meaning a place where all races (including whites) have room at the table.
How would that by a co-opt by conservatives, of all people?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies