Local Office of IDS Emperor Scott - Salisbury, NC (Back in Business)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:59:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Local Office of IDS Emperor Scott - Salisbury, NC (Back in Business)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27
Author Topic: Local Office of IDS Emperor Scott - Salisbury, NC (Back in Business)  (Read 56209 times)
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #500 on: January 06, 2014, 01:49:04 PM »

ENDORSED!
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #501 on: January 06, 2014, 02:02:50 PM »

Thank you both! Smiley
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #502 on: January 06, 2014, 04:50:26 PM »
« Edited: January 06, 2014, 04:55:53 PM by Scott »

Recently the Legislature passed a law that drastically reforms our election laws.  To summarize, the bill sets regionwide elections for three out of five Representatives, and assigns the other two seats to be elected in districts.  After much consideration, I have decided to endorse this measure as a way to promote competitive races.  Though I do have certain reservations about potential "gerrymandering," or abuse of the redistricting process, I find this new system worthwhile, and I hope I have the opportunity to work with the Legislature on this issue if I am elected this month.

The program should be as flexible as possible, and we should always be mindful of ensuring competitive elections.  While I do not think the district maps should be constantly 'tweaked' to force competitive races, I believe there ought to be full transparency in how Representatives draw the maps.  I would also like to explore implementing a requirement that the Legislature be in unanimous consent on the maps before they go into effect.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #503 on: January 06, 2014, 05:00:18 PM »

I'm happy to see my proposal continuing to generate interest. This is the sort of thing that I was hoping for when I put it forth running for Emperor.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #504 on: January 07, 2014, 02:17:03 PM »

Recently the Legislature passed a law that drastically reforms our election laws.  To summarize, the bill sets regionwide elections for three out of five Representatives, and assigns the other two seats to be elected in districts.  After much consideration, I have decided to endorse this measure as a way to promote competitive races.  Though I do have certain reservations about potential "gerrymandering," or abuse of the redistricting process, I find this new system worthwhile, and I hope I have the opportunity to work with the Legislature on this issue if I am elected this month.

The program should be as flexible as possible, and we should always be mindful of ensuring competitive elections.  While I do not think the district maps should be constantly 'tweaked' to force competitive races, I believe there ought to be full transparency in how Representatives draw the maps.  I would also like to explore implementing a requirement that the Legislature be in unanimous consent on the maps before they go into effect.

It's an intriguing idea. Given the nature of Atlasia though, the main problem will be people moving districts rather than the maps themselves.

Will the districts be elected by IRV or FPTP?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #505 on: January 07, 2014, 03:00:52 PM »

It's an intriguing idea. Given the nature of Atlasia though, the main problem will be people moving districts rather than the maps themselves.

That could be an issue.  If a bunch of people decide they don't like the guy representing the other district, they can easily register in another state and vote him out.  However, until we run into that problem, I am okay with trying the new system.

As to how they're elected, I assume we will still go by IRV.  The bill doesn't mandate any changes to how the votes are tallied.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #506 on: January 07, 2014, 03:15:59 PM »

That could be an issue.  If a bunch of people decide they don't like the guy representing the other district, they can easily register in another state and vote him out.  However, until we run into that problem, I am okay with trying the new system.

As to how they're elected, I assume we will still go by IRV.  The bill doesn't mandate any changes to how the votes are tallied.

Ok fair enough. It's an interesting idea. I'm looking forward to seeing how it works out.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #507 on: January 07, 2014, 03:25:30 PM »

Enthusiastically endorsed!
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #508 on: January 07, 2014, 03:27:45 PM »

Thank you, Gov'nah!
Enderman
Jack Enderman
United States

« Reply #509 on: January 07, 2014, 03:31:31 PM »

endorsed, of course Smiley
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #510 on: January 07, 2014, 03:37:30 PM »
« Edited: January 07, 2014, 07:06:49 PM by Scott »

For the purposes of the redistricting committee which I have been nominated to, I have taken the liberty of creating a map for us to work with.

Population (TOTAL: 31)

Details can be discussed when the committee is in session.  With that, I have drafted one map.  I did not spend too much time considering the demographics of each district, but here is a very rough outline.

EDIT: Puerto Rico and our Canadian provinces will be incorporated, but they are not of concern as no one is currently occupying them.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #511 on: January 07, 2014, 03:38:27 PM »

Thank you!
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #512 on: January 07, 2014, 03:40:04 PM »

Good luck, Scotty. We need more people at the regional level like you.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #513 on: January 07, 2014, 03:49:30 PM »

I just realised I haven't endorsed you yet Tongue Endorsed.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #514 on: January 07, 2014, 03:50:26 PM »

EDIT: Puerto Rico and our Canadian provinces will be incorporated, but they are not of concern as no one is currently occupying them.

Canadian provinces have never been annexed by Atlasia, so their inclusion would be irrelevant.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #515 on: January 07, 2014, 03:55:29 PM »

Good luck, Scotty. We need more people at the regional level like you.
I just realised I haven't endorsed you yet Tongue Endorsed.

Thank you both. Smiley

Canadian provinces have never been annexed by Atlasia, so their inclusion would be irrelevant.

They weren't?  So the map on the front page of the Wiki is wrong? Tongue
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #516 on: January 07, 2014, 03:58:20 PM »

As far as I am aware, the map on the Wiki was nothing more than a proposal.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #517 on: January 08, 2014, 09:50:14 AM »

I like this map, although splitting Alabama from Mississippi really stood out for me.

*not to discuss official business here. Tongue

Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #518 on: January 14, 2014, 12:05:47 PM »
« Edited: January 14, 2014, 12:12:29 PM by Scott »

Raleigh, NC

Thank you for being here today.

My fellow Southerners, few things are a bigger abomination to the human race than homelessness.  Homelessness in our region is an issue we hardly ever talk about.  It is also frequently misunderstood.  For many, it is the fault of the homeless themselves for being in their present condition, yet this is not the case.  For many of those same people, homelessness is no worse than having to sleep on your friend's couch for a few nights while go out and look for a job.  This is also, in the vast majority of homeless cases, simply not the truth.

For 130,000 people living in our region today, life is a constant struggle.  Many of these people go three months at a time without a home of their own.  Others are forced to survive longer and sometimes go weeks without a decent meal.  In the United States, politicians constantly turn a blind eye to these people and because of that, it has been literally decades since a comprehensive plan for the homeless has been passed.

But in America, one state has been able to turn things around.  That state is Utah, and Utah is expected to virtually eliminate its homelessness problem by 2015.  How, you may ask?  Simple.  Utah has a policy to give people homes now, and ask questions later.

When I first read Utah's success story, I was inspired.  I was inspired by how this growing state was able to provide all people with a basic right to a household while keeping costs down and growing employment.  Today I am happy to officially unveil my plan to address homelessness as a member of the IDS Legislature.

How the program works is simple: all homeless people in our region will be guaranteed an apartment room with a bedroom, a bathroom, a refrigerator, Wifi, and best of all, a caseworker to assist them in their search for employment.  Families and individuals will get to keep their apartment regardless of how long it takes for them to find a job and become financially independent.  No longer will our region punish those who fall short.  And, at the same time, we will cut costs and balance our budget.

While the details have yet to be worked out, this is will be my first priority if I am elected to serve you in the Legislature this month.  Right now, most of our government is controlled by those who prefer a fiscally conservative approach to addressing our region's problems.  Though we may differ on a number of issues, I am confident that we can work together and solve the defining problem of our time.

I am prepared to take any questions.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #519 on: January 20, 2014, 03:23:55 PM »

I'd like to thank the voters for choosing to elect me back into the Legislature.  I recently received a PM from our Emperor concerning the budget shortfall.  This is one of the many problems I am confident my housing program will fix, and I will, to the best of my ability, lobby for it as a solution.
Enderman
Jack Enderman
United States

« Reply #520 on: January 20, 2014, 03:30:45 PM »

Legislator Scott is BACK IN BUSINESS!
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #521 on: January 20, 2014, 04:19:37 PM »

Congratulations Smiley
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #522 on: March 03, 2014, 06:00:31 PM »

On my recent party change

Good evening.

I wanted to bump this thread to make a brief announcement.  After much contemplation, discussion with party members, and reflection, I have decided to join the membership of the Federalist Party.  This discussion does not come lightly, as it is a move I have been considering for a long time.  Still, my decision to join the party came down to three factors:

One, the decline of influence in smaller "third" parties.
Two, the growing ideological divide between the left and the right.
And three, the way both the two major parties in Atlasia have shaped the environment.

While I respect and admire Labor for many of the policies they have pursued over the years, ultimately I would be very out of place if I were to apply for membership there.  Unlike many in Labor, for example, nationalization of all our economic resources is not a priority of mine, nor is it something I think would work if it were pursued on a grand scale.

With that said, though my party identification has changed, my policies certainly will not.  I will continue to pursue legislation that will alleviate homelessness in our region, I will continue to pursue legislation that will create a fair regulatory framework for our energy economy, and I will continue to pursue legislation that will curb illegal spying activities by any government body.  On that, I will also continue to support candidates who I think have the best ideas and are most qualified for elected office in this game.

While I cannot promise my friends in the Federalist Party that I will always support their candidates, I would like to create a healthy dialogue within my new party and bring my ideas to the table.  I hope that in spite of this change, I will still maintain a healthy, working relationship with members of all parties.

Thank you, and Dave bless.
Enderman
Jack Enderman
United States

« Reply #523 on: March 03, 2014, 09:37:14 PM »

Welcome to the Party! Cheesy
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #524 on: April 07, 2014, 06:17:31 PM »

PRESS RELEASE

My dear constituents,

Moments ago, the Legislature approved the nomination of our Emperor, PiT, to the position of Attorney General.  I trust that he will serve the office well and I will work closely with him to promote activity and reform for our great region.

That said, his ascension to the office of Emperor calls for an immediate special election.  As Speaker, I will become the acting Emperor until the election is called, which I will order for next week.  Upon the conclusion of the special election, the winner will swear in to fill the remainder of PiT's term.  Our regular April election will be held the week after.

Now, I would like to use the opportunity to officially announce my intention to seek the office of Emperor for the special election and, if successful, the general election.  The South has been fortunate to have a line of dedicated Emperors who have been for this region in good times and bad.  At the moment, we are experiencing an activity crisis, and there are many issues our region has yet to address.  If elected in my own right, I promise to use this office to promote the kind of reform this region needs.

So with that, I would like to ask for your support.  Feel free to ask me questions about policy, game reform, or what ever comes to mind!

Your Speaker and Emperor-designate, Scott
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies