Local Office of IDS Emperor Scott - Salisbury, NC (Back in Business) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:19:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Local Office of IDS Emperor Scott - Salisbury, NC (Back in Business) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Local Office of IDS Emperor Scott - Salisbury, NC (Back in Business)  (Read 56232 times)
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« on: June 08, 2013, 12:16:35 PM »

Governor Scott, you have my endorsement for Senate! Smiley
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 12:20:30 AM »

Governor, what is your opinion on the second paragraph of this excerpt from the debate?
An updated post due to Secretary Polnut's recent announcement:

As many of you may have read, the Atlasian-Canadian talks about the ACCMA are dead, and reasons are unknown at this point. We should not be forcing anything on Canada that they do not want, but if the Canadian government has an issue with a specific part of the agreement, we should have a willingness to compromise to get the job done, as it would benefit both nations immensely once the ACCMA is put into law.

Referring to Governor Scott's response, if we are further opening ship travel within the St. Lawrence and Great Lakes area, a primary concern would be the spread of invasive species. Take for example, the Zebra Mussel, which lives in the Atlantic Ocean. This mussel attaches itself to ships, and used this method to introduce itself to the Great Lakes. Once in the Great Lakes, the mussels attach themselves to anything, including water intake pipes, and nearly stop the drinking water systems in many cities on the Great Lakes. These mussels would harm the drinking water in Chicago, Detroit, Buffalo, Cleveland, Erie, Green Bay, Duluth, and many other cities. And they already do. And all this is an addition to the ecological damage that they cause.  If we are to increase the shipping industry in this area, we must work with the scientific community to figure out how to remove zebra mussels from this area and prevent their reintroduction, while allowing the area to have a successful economy. If elected to the Senate, I would be willing to work on how this bill would affect the ecology of this area.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 07:41:40 PM »

Politics Junkie - while, indeed, the concerns you've raised are serious ones, I do not believe that expanding the St. Lawrence Seaway would increase the level of risk involved.  The Zebra Mussel has already spread to all five of the Great Lakes, so I think this objection would only make sense if we were proposing building the Seaway.

With that in mind, I believe it is important that we pass regulations on the discharge of ballast water and work with government agencies, as well as those who use the seaway, to address the situation when it arises.  Water recreationists should be expected to know how to control invasive species through prevention, inspection, and removal.  While the government can and should have a role in preventing their spread, ultimately I am confident that the boaters will manage these problems the same way they have for half a century.
Ok, Great!
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 05:50:53 PM »

PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 08:52:22 PM »

ENDORSED!