Should an employer be able to deduct tips against the employee's minimum wage? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:45:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should an employer be able to deduct tips against the employee's minimum wage? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should an employer be able to deduct tips against the employee's minimum wage?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 48

Author Topic: Should an employer be able to deduct tips against the employee's minimum wage?  (Read 3396 times)
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« on: February 26, 2012, 06:44:26 AM »

Tipping is very very annoying in the States, but I still do it because I know how poorly compensated they are.

Oppose credits strongly. Adequate wages should be paid and tips, if given, should have a rewarding nature for above average service.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 02:13:04 PM »

I certianly do not think that employers should be allowedto deduct 'expected tips' as imo tips should only be given for exceptional service if the customer wants to (rather than being guilt tripped or having it automatically added to the bill, no matter how poor the service actually is). Besides even if the US tipping culture continues then seeing as the US minimum wage is abysmal (once converted its approximately a third or a quarter of the NZ minimum wage as far as I know) then it actually isn't a big deal. Also the federal government should stop taxing on expected tips and come up with a system to work out the exact amount of tips earned and then tax that amount as they would any other source of income.

NZ has a $20-30 minimum wage?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 10:59:35 AM »

This is why I always tip 15-20%, regardless of the quality of service.

It's still annoying as hell when in the U.S.

First the prices don't include tax...then they want 15-20% on top of that? Just tell me the damn price up front.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies