Should an employer be able to deduct tips against the employee's minimum wage? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:49:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should an employer be able to deduct tips against the employee's minimum wage? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should an employer be able to deduct tips against the employee's minimum wage?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 48

Author Topic: Should an employer be able to deduct tips against the employee's minimum wage?  (Read 3414 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: February 26, 2012, 10:28:20 PM »

Yes.

Keep in mind that under current law, employers have to pay payroll taxes on the reported tip income that is deducted from the employee's minimum wage.  So do employees, and to a extent the reason for the $2.13/hr floor is intended not to ensure that there is a minimum amount the servers make, but so that tipped employees have something out of which automatic deductions for taxes can be made instead of leaving those employees liable to a huge end-of-year unexpected tax burden or having to pay their employers for the privilege of working someplace that offers the chance to earn tips.

In this country there are many service jobs for which tipping is expected even for ordinary service. To say that those expected tips should not be considered wages is ludicrous.

Note: I'm generally opposed to minimum wage laws in the first place.  An earned income floor is less disruptive to the price signals of what labor is worth if implemented via a government subsidy of the low-waged, not a flat floor on minimum hourly income. But even if I did support minimum wage laws I think I'll still support counting tips against that minimum.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 11:30:16 PM »

No, because there should be no minimum wage.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies