Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 27, 2014, 06:11:06 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Atlas Fantasy Elections
| |-+  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Gustaf, MasterJedi)
| | |-+  Should we reduce the number of regions to three?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Poll
Question: What do you think?
Yes   -17 (39.5%)
No   -22 (51.2%)
Unsure/Other   -4 (9.3%)
Show Pie Chart
Total Voters: 43

Author Topic: Should we reduce the number of regions to three?  (Read 873 times)
Yelnoc
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« on: February 26, 2012, 08:49:15 pm »
Ignore

This is not a new idea; I believe The People ran a poll about it sometime last year.  But I think it is  an idea that would make playing at the regional level much funner.  We simply do not have enough active participants for both federal and regional races to be competitive.  We've seen how uncompetitive the senate races have gotten, while in many regions we have to scramble to fill that last legislative seat.  By reducing the number of regions, the individual regions will have more people, and thus more competition.  I know that the main reason a lot of us play is for the exciting elections.  This should go a long way towards fixing that problem.

I also have to say I like the way the borders look, especially in this proposal.  I always thought the five region map was ugly.

Your Atlas experience will be 100x better if you turn signatures off. Trust me.
Napoleon
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 08:50:59 pm »
Ignore

NO

When I was in the third grade, I thought that I was Jewish
Because I could count, my nose was big, and I kept my bank account fullish
I told my mom, tears blurring my vision
He said, "Mort, you've loved God since before circumcision"
Scott
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 08:53:32 pm »
Ignore

For the love of God, not this again.

Haven't we given up enough for the sake of "competitiveness"?
bgwah
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 08:56:32 pm »
Ignore

Yes, though not with those borders. That Northern region would still have more than double the West's population.

A-Bob
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 1.13

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 08:58:20 pm »
Ignore

BOO *throws cabbage*

Marokai Besieged
Marokai Blue
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

P

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 09:39:55 pm »
Ignore

NO
For the love of God, not this again.
BOO *throws cabbage*

LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 10:48:30 pm »
Ignore

Yes, but different borders.
IDS Legislator Pingvin
Pingvin99
YaBB God
Estonia

Political Matrix
E: 8.71, S: 4.78

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 01:15:18 am »
Ignore

Yes, but give AZ & NM to IDS.

ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 03:28:43 am »
Ignore

Yes - if we keep the ME and the IDS as separate regions and merge the NE with the MW and the Pacific. Tongue
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
YaBB God
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 04:16:31 am »
Ignore

IDS Legislator Pingvin
Pingvin99
YaBB God
Estonia

Political Matrix
E: 8.71, S: 4.78

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 05:08:11 am »
Ignore

And annex Canada.
NE would recieve New Brunswick, Quebec, Newfoundland and Labrador and Southeast Ontario.
Pacific would recieve Northwest Ontario, Manitoba, Nunavut, Saskatchewan, Northwest Territories, Alberta, British Columbia and Yukon.

Sheriff Buford TX Justice
AndrewCT
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 07:50:22 am »
Ignore

Ugh, 6 years later and this debate is still around.

NO

My parents are pretty good about smelling a rat. 
Let me put this as clear as I can (saying this to myself, as well, so I can see it): I WILL get a job with CADD and I WILL keep the job.
Senator JCL and the geologist
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2012, 09:16:55 am »
Ignore

I'd have to say no. I dont want Indiana put with the New England states (Indiana would be a better fit wth the IDS). This dilutes conservative chances of gaining a stronger foothold in Atlasian politics.

Congressional Races
Jackie Walorski (R/IN-2)
Marlin Stutzman (R/IN-3)
Todd Rokita (R/IN-4)
Chard Reid (Lib/IN-5)
Luke Messer (R/IN-6)
Tom Massie (R/KY-4)
David Brat (R/VA-7)
oakvale
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of
View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2012, 09:52:35 am »
Ignore

Yes, though not with those borders. That Northern region would still have more than double the West's population.

oakvale
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of
View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2012, 10:03:12 am »
Ignore

Another idea might be the return of districts instead of at-large Senate seats, although I'm sure there's good reason we got rid of them in the first place. Tongue

Sbane
sbane
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2012, 10:47:41 am »
Ignore

Scott
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2012, 02:47:45 pm »
Ignore

LET'S JUST KEEP THE BORDERS THE WAY THEY ARE!!!
Хahar
Xahar
YaBB God
Bangladesh

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2012, 04:39:49 pm »
Ignore

Another idea might be the return of districts instead of at-large Senate seats, although I'm sure there's good reason we got rid of them in the first place. Tongue

Am I the only person here who remembers when we got rid of them? Bringing back districts would be an awful idea.

Update reading list

The idea of parodying the preceding Atlasian's postings is laughable, of course, but not for reasons one might expect.
Sheriff Buford TX Justice
AndrewCT
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2012, 08:34:54 pm »
Ignore

Am I the only person here who remembers when we got rid of them? Bringing back districts would be an awful idea.

I remember when we got rid of them. Personally, I always thought it was an awful idea getting rid of the district seats.. but that's me.

My parents are pretty good about smelling a rat. 
Let me put this as clear as I can (saying this to myself, as well, so I can see it): I WILL get a job with CADD and I WILL keep the job.
Yelnoc
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2012, 09:07:17 pm »
Ignore

Damn, I didn't expect it to be popular, but I also didn't expect such a visceral reaction.

Your Atlas experience will be 100x better if you turn signatures off. Trust me.
ilikeverin
YaBB God
Timor-Leste

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2012, 10:05:12 pm »
Ignore

It was driven largely by the fact that district seats almost always resembled regional seats, IIRC.  I have no idea how abolishing at-large seats would help this.  If district seats were brought back, it would make much more sense for them to replace regional seats than at-large seats.

Chief Judicial Officer of the Most Serene Republic of the Midwest, registered in the State of Joy, in Atlasia
Recognized National Treasure of Atlasia
Хahar
Xahar
YaBB God
Bangladesh

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2012, 01:07:47 am »
Ignore

Damn, I didn't expect it to be popular, but I also didn't expect such a visceral reaction.

There's always a vocal contingent of people who will vigorously oppose any change. Oddly, that group is generally composed of people who haven't been around very long.

Update reading list

The idea of parodying the preceding Atlasian's postings is laughable, of course, but not for reasons one might expect.
bgwah
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2012, 01:30:18 am »
Ignore

I'm not saying it's perfect, but the Northeast has obviously had more competitive elections than any of the other regions. This is quite clearly because it has double the population of the other regions.

It's not a huge deal to me, really. But I haven't heard any good arguments against my reasoning.

Marokai Besieged
Marokai Blue
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

P

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2012, 01:35:50 am »
Ignore

I'm not saying it's perfect, but the Northeast has obviously had more competitive elections than any of the other regions. This is quite clearly because it has double the population of the other regions.

It's not a huge deal to me, really. But I haven't heard any good arguments against my reasoning.

It's also fairly ideologically diverse. The proposals in reducing the regions have almost always just combined the Midwest with the Pacific and the Mideast with the South. This solves almost nothing, and even for the sake of argument you were proposing merging the Mideast and Midwest and South with the Pacific, people would hate the idea, because those in the Mideast, especially, love having complete control over the region.

It would also necessitate a return to districts to continue electing the same number of Senators, which I just plainly don't see the point of.

I'm not opposed to change, but I don't like proposals that make big changes like this in trying to force people to be more competitive, which is different than the proposals I bring forward, which are more focused on encouraging certain practices or are improvements related to the governing side of the game. You can't force general competition or activity like this. That sort of stuff comes and goes on its own.

Senator Polnut
polnut
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2012, 01:56:32 am »
Ignore

But if competitive elections are the issue, you'd just end up with a massive conservative bloc and a massive liberal bloc with the Northeast as the only really varied region.

Perhaps a re-jigging of the boundaries of the 4 other regions is in order?

Dogma is a comfortable thing, it saves you from thought - Sir Robert Menzies
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout