My generation is f**ked
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:31:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  My generation is f**ked
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: My generation is f**ked  (Read 5017 times)
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 27, 2012, 09:05:46 AM »

So I'm currently sitting in my High School Journalism class, and we began the class by watching CNN Student News. Naturally, there was coverage of the crisis in Syria. This, of course, drew little discussion other than scattered kids saying "who cares, it's not America, so who cares?" to which I scoffed. Then, when we began to discuss the presidential elections, a girl said "I am so sick of hearing about politics, who cares? I do not care who the President of the country is." But then, when we began to discuss Chris Brown and Rihanna collaborating, an uproar arose, with plenty of screaming and yelling and fighting over whether or not this was justified.

I am seriously concerned for the future of this country. This is a normal thing.

Your thoughts?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 09:32:28 AM »

Chris Brown and Rihanna are collaborating ?

Didn't he punch her in her face once ? That's probably not a good thing if they are together again. Personalities usually don't change in a few years, so what happens if they are together again and times are not as good as they are now, they are having fights again and he punches her again ? I'd say Rihanna should think twice about that ...
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 09:44:24 AM »
« Edited: February 27, 2012, 09:48:24 AM by General Buck Turgidson »

So I'm currently sitting in my High School Journalism class, and we began the class by watching CNN Student News. Naturally, there was coverage of the crisis in Syria. This, of course, drew little discussion other than scattered kids saying "who cares, it's not America, so who cares?" to which I scoffed. Then, when we began to discuss the presidential elections, a girl said "I am so sick of hearing about politics, who cares? I do not care who the President of the country is." But then, when we began to discuss Chris Brown and Rihanna collaborating, an uproar arose, with plenty of screaming and yelling and fighting over whether or not this was justified.

I am seriously concerned for the future of this country. This is a normal thing.

Your thoughts?

Well, sounds almost like the (majority of the) youth in my country. Tongue

As far as the question of generations is concerned, maybe young people have been significantly more political between 1965 and 1975. But earlier/later generations probably didn't give a sh!t either.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 09:46:42 AM »

Not everybody is into politics. This is particularly true among young people. Same as it ever was.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 09:55:54 AM »

Chris Brown and Rihanna are collaborating ?

Didn't he punch her in her face once ? That's probably not a good thing if they are together again. Personalities usually don't change in a few years, so what happens if they are together again and times are not as good as they are now, they are having fights again and he punches her again ? I'd say Rihanna should think twice about that ...

I hope this is an ironic reply. Tongue

It's sad but hardly new. Young people have always tended to be a bit daft.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 11:18:54 AM »

An entire class of young people who think they can become journalists? Yes, they truly are f**ked.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The appropriate, non-interventionist response. "Beware of foreign entanglements", et cetera. Glad to see they know their George Washington. Smiley

Appropriate world-weariness and cynicism. Politicians do not care about you or your classmates, so there is no reason why any of you should give a whit about the old, rich and corrupt bastards. Smiley

Glad to see your classmates are passionate about domestic violence issues! This is something that will be very relevant to their lives, either currently or in the near future. Chances are, someone in your class is or will be in an abusive relationship. Probably more than one. Yet others will know someone who is in an abusive relationship. The stakes of this discussion are very high. It's important that abuse is ostracized as much as possible, and not become something that is seen as 'normal'. Due to this, the idea of Rihanna and Chris Brown collaborating disturbs me greatly. Tongue

Overall, I would agree with you that I am seriously concerned about your classmates... poor things, most of them will never make it as journalists, and the few that do will be getting paid dirt. Tongue
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 12:05:51 PM »

I wouldn't be too concerned - the young in general are not all that interested in political affairs. Most don't work or pay taxes, so policy doesn't really affect them much, at least not in ways they notice anyways.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 02:47:28 PM »

I agree. My generation wasn't able to post sh**t on a forum while in school. We had to wait till we got home, and go on our dial up internet to post it while on AOL.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 03:15:40 PM »

People have always been shallow and stupid and always will be. Deal with them, since in 20 years they'll be unhappy middle-class divorcees.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 04:15:58 PM »
« Edited: February 27, 2012, 04:35:01 PM by Χahar »

No doubt, youngs today are stupider than ever before.

If you don't want to do any thinking at all, why even post here? I get that lamenting the inevitable moral decay of society from some invented past is your thing, but that statement was unusually vapid and sophomoric even by those standards.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 04:18:38 PM »

People have always been shallow and stupid and always will be. Deal with them, since in 20 years they'll be unhappy middle-class divorcees.

Yes.
I'm JewCon in name only.
Klecly
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.61, S: 6.52

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 04:26:24 PM »

Dude, we are in high school, it's natural that most of teens don't care about politics. Yea, people are getting dumber, but since when did teenagers, as a whole, really care about politics?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2012, 04:56:22 PM »

Dude, we are in high school, it's natural that most of teens don't care about politics. Yea, people are getting dumber, but since when did teenagers, as a whole, really care about politics?
I agree for the most part; I get annoyed how much people talk about Chris Brown and what not, but I never expect politics to come up. I hate when people spend hours talking about sports. If the class will waste its time talking about sports, then they should accept politics as well.

What REALLY pisses me off? The kids who wear rasta colors and smoke pot only because Bob Marley did it. Especially since I go to a private school, and most of these kids are rich and white.

Exactly.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2012, 04:59:20 PM »

Meh, let them live in ignorance. They're inconsequential.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2012, 05:10:08 PM »

Meh, let them live in ignorance. They're inconsequential.

That's the whole point - it doesn't matter whether the common folk know anything - it doesn't matter what they do.  They're powerless serfs.  In fact the embracement of ignorance and disinterest by your classmates is in fact very reasonable and sensible.
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2012, 06:06:21 PM »

I mean, I knew that my generation doesn't care about politics, but really? Like, Syria's a different story. People are actually getting killed for Christ's sake. Good people, people who want freedom. But Chris Brown smacks Rihanna and that's worth discussing?
I'm JewCon in name only.
Klecly
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.61, S: 6.52

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2012, 06:08:27 PM »

I don't think talking about sports is a "waste." I prefer to talk sports over politics, I piss less people off Tongue
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2012, 06:09:12 PM »

No doubt, youngs today are stupider than ever before. Thus is the work of the unstoppable march of "progress" and "technology".

No doubt, youngs today are stupider than ever before - a typical statement during the Victorian era.

No doubt, youngs today are stupider than ever before  - a typical statement in the year of 3000.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2012, 06:34:20 PM »

No doubt, youngs today are stupider than ever before. Thus is the work of the unstoppable march of "progress" and "technology".

No doubt, youngs today are stupider than ever before - a typical statement during the Victorian era.

No doubt, youngs today are stupider than ever before  - a typical statement in the year of 3000.

QFT
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2012, 06:44:00 PM »

No doubt, youngs today are stupider than ever before.

If you don't want to do any thinking at all, why even post here? I get that lamenting the inevitable moral decay of society from some invented past is your thing, but that statement was unusually vapid and sophomoric even by those standards.

dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2012, 06:58:30 PM »

What REALLY pisses me off? The kids who wear rasta colors and smoke pot only because Bob Marley did it. Especially since I go to a private school, and most of these kids are rich and white.
I think you have that backwards.  People listen to Bob Marley and wear the rasta stuff because Bob Marley and rastas smoke(d) pot, not the other way around.  Pot is what brings them together.  Rarely will you find someone that got into pot because they started listening to Marley.

Or maybe I'm wrong, I don't know.  All the stoners I've ever know were stoners first, then moved onto the stoner sub-community of choice...whether that be neo-hippie, rasta, 420er, punker, rapper, whateverer.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2012, 08:12:24 PM »

“You think about this. When you get old, these kids — when I get old — they’re gonna be running the country. Now this is the thought that wakes me up in the middle of the night: that when I get older, these kids are gonna take care of me.”

“I wouldn’t count on it.”
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2012, 08:21:46 PM »

Teenagers have always been gormless idiots.

To actually give a crap about the rest of the world, let alone the world around you makes you a considerable minority.

The funny thing is, my generation and the *gulp* one after mine ie, yours, are noted for actually being more supportive of 'causes' but less interested in politics.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2012, 08:25:36 PM »

I as well often lament about the future. However, I console myself with the fact that the stupidity of the general public will make it easier for the eventual restoration of power into the hands of the elites, of which I, God-willingly, will be a member of. Manipulation of the stupid will become more popular than ever among the rich & intelligent.
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2012, 06:21:56 AM »

“You think about this. When you get old, these kids — when I get old — they’re gonna be running the country. Now this is the thought that wakes me up in the middle of the night: that when I get older, these kids are gonna take care of me.”

“I wouldn’t count on it.”

Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies