Should we reduce the number of regions to three?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:44:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Should we reduce the number of regions to three?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: What do you think?
Yes

No

Unsure/Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 44

Author Topic: Should we reduce the number of regions to three?  (Read 1859 times)
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2012, 03:13:53 AM »

Idk. The Pacific and Midwest are both leftist, but they've usually been different kinds of leftist.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2012, 08:34:23 PM »

I'm not saying it's perfect, but the Northeast has obviously had more competitive elections than any of the other regions. This is quite clearly because it has double the population of the other regions.

It's not a huge deal to me, really. But I haven't heard any good arguments against my reasoning.

It's also fairly ideologically diverse. The proposals in reducing the regions have almost always just combined the Midwest with the Pacific and the Mideast with the South. This solves almost nothing, and even for the sake of argument you were proposing merging the Mideast and Midwest and South with the Pacific, people would hate the idea, because those in the Mideast, especially, love having complete control over the region.

It would also necessitate a return to districts to continue electing the same number of Senators, which I just plainly don't see the point of.

I'm not opposed to change, but I don't like proposals that make big changes like this in trying to force people to be more competitive, which is different than the proposals I bring forward, which are more focused on encouraging certain practices or are improvements related to the governing side of the game. You can't force general competition or activity like this. That sort of stuff comes and goes on its own.
Why don't we combine the Pacific with the IDS and the ME with the Midwest.  A Heartland Region and an Outer Rim region.  Whaddaya think?
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2012, 08:48:55 PM »

I think you guys are also failing to see that it's because the regions are so small that they can become so dominated by one faction.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2012, 08:51:30 PM »

I think you guys are also failing to see that it's because the regions are so small that they can become so dominated by one faction.

The solution, then, is to encourage migration, like we did in 2005.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2012, 09:02:23 PM »

I kind of just wish people registered where they actually lived. And foreigners stayed in the same spot. That would probably fix a lot of things.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2012, 10:09:27 PM »

I kind of just wish people registered where they actually lived. And foreigners stayed in the same spot. That would probably fix a lot of things.

I seem to recall that a lot of the 2005 effort was to get foreigners to register in underpopulated regions; that's how the Midwest got its sizable German contingent, for example.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies