MI Dems for Rick? Bad! 53% of non-Republicans in NH though...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:03:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  MI Dems for Rick? Bad! 53% of non-Republicans in NH though...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: MI Dems for Rick? Bad! 53% of non-Republicans in NH though...  (Read 1237 times)
Politico
YaBB God
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2012, 05:49:57 PM »

Apparently, Romney is fine with Republicans tampering with Democratic primaries, just not the other way around:

http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2012/02/romney-outraged-at-democratic-mischief.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.

No, Republicans cannot vote in the Massachusetts Democratic Primary. Only Independents and Democrats can. That at least makes some sense. Allowing Republicans to vote in Democratic contest, and vice-versa, is madness.

So, you are saying in 1992 Romney wasn't merely a registered independent, but,  rather really wasn't a self-considered "Republican" at all!

This is the man real Republicans should treat as one of their own?

As a DINO myself, I can appreciate the reasons why Romney remained registered as an Independent for years. Plus, Reagan was a Democrat at the age Romney was an Independent, so I don't get this type of attack on Mitt...
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2012, 05:51:57 PM »

Apparently, Romney is fine with Republicans tampering with Democratic primaries, just not the other way around:

http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2012/02/romney-outraged-at-democratic-mischief.html

No, Republicans cannot vote in the Massachusetts Democratic Primary. Only Independents and Democrats can. That at least makes some sense. Allowing Republicans to vote in Democratic contest, and vice-versa, is madness.

Right, but my point is that Romney apparently has no problem with voters supporting a candidate in the primary who they think will offer the weakest opposition to the candidate they really support.  Romney is basically saying that when he was an Independent in MA, he was an Independent in name only (IINO?), and was actually supporting Republicans, but would sometimes vote for the weakest Dem possible in the primaries to help the Republican.

That's essentially what's happening in Michigan.  Except you say that it's different because of the voter's party registration?  (Actually, does Michigan even have party registration?)  The voter motivation is identical either way.

Nobody is robocalling independents or organizing independents...
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2012, 06:34:38 PM »

New Hampshire's primary was only open to Republicans and Independents. Therefore your argument in favor of RINO Santorum Phil is falling flat.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2012, 06:38:26 PM »

New Hampshire's primary was only open to Republicans and Independents. Therefore your argument in favor of RINO Santorum Phil is falling flat.

Uh...my argument is about non-Republicans. Try...you know...reading the title and Santorum's quote.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2012, 06:40:21 PM »

Uh...my argument is about non-Republicans. Try...you know...reading the title and Santorum's quote.

You're defending his tactics, when it clearly isn't a mirror reflection of the electorate voting in New Hampshire. Independents and Democrats are two different groups.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2012, 06:45:26 PM »

Surely no one believes those voting for Rick in the primary will support him in the general. Neither candidate win Michigan in 2012. Conservative democrats will vote for Obama just like they did in 2008 in the Midwest. Count on it.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2012, 06:47:05 PM »

You're defending his tactics, when it clearly isn't a mirror reflection of the electorate voting in New Hampshire. Independents and Democrats are two different groups.

Correct, I'm defending him going after voters that are eligible to vote (not that I like open primaries). I'm sorry that the incompetent campaign that you support didn't make an effort with these voters.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2012, 07:44:40 PM »

Correct, I'm defending him going after voters that are eligible to vote (not that I like open primaries). I'm sorry that the incompetent campaign that you support didn't make an effort with these voters.

I hope Santorum's campaign doubles-down on this like you have. If they do so, they cannot come out of tonight as winners even if Santorum wins Michigan. If that happens, I can almost guarantee Mitt will spend tonight thanking Arizona and Michigan Republicans, and congratulating Santorum on winning the support of Michigan Democrats. Ouch! And if Mitt wins Michigan...well, hopefully there will still be a way to work in a playful joke about Santorum's support from Michael Moore and Co.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2012, 08:30:46 PM »

And the weakest candidate just so happened to be a moderate from his state who had never lost a general election.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies