BREAKING: Snowe not running!!!!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:56:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  BREAKING: Snowe not running!!!!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7
Author Topic: BREAKING: Snowe not running!!!!  (Read 11964 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: March 04, 2012, 07:10:57 PM »

After her birth control mandate vote, good riddance.
I will say just opposite: "Thank you, Senator Snowe, for being true to your principles. Even after announcing retirement.."

What are her principles?

I too am wondering this, unless the Golden Mean Fallacy can be considered a principle.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #126 on: March 04, 2012, 07:48:56 PM »

After her birth control mandate vote, good riddance.
I will say just opposite: "Thank you, Senator Snowe, for being true to your principles. Even after announcing retirement.."

What are her principles?

They were to vote as right-wing as possible to help the national party as one can get away with in the 3rd least religious state until she finally had enough with this birth control vote and decided to quit.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #127 on: March 04, 2012, 08:22:14 PM »

There was an article about Snowe's retirement decision in the NYT.  This quote from a cousin of hers sounded revealing:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/01/us/after-many-tough-choices-the-choice-to-quit.html
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #128 on: March 04, 2012, 09:18:28 PM »

I feel bad for Snowe, but if she had actually carved out some coherent thought process or political praxis that was moderate rather than just trying to play balancing acts for her whole career she might not have ended up in this situation.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #129 on: March 04, 2012, 11:07:05 PM »

I feel bad for Snowe, but if she had actually carved out some coherent thought process or political praxis that was moderate rather than just trying to play balancing acts for her whole career she might not have ended up in this situation.

The Republican party doesn't welcome moderates.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #130 on: March 04, 2012, 11:40:18 PM »

The Republican party doesn't welcome moderates.

I meant if she had done so from the beginning. If she had a more forceful personality she might be able to just spend her time trolling the rest of the Senate Republican Conference the way Murkowski, who isn't even actually particularly moderate all things considered (or, at least, who didn't used to be), does.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #131 on: March 05, 2012, 12:05:38 AM »

This posts sums up Snowe perfectly, as well as the premise of Moderate Heroism which so many here still hold up as a virtue:

Well, obviously could be worse, but basically HP.
The thing is, they don't really have a coherent viewpoint, except they'll vote for anything if you cut around a couple of hundred million from what gets originally proposed. Bush's initial massive tax cuts after taking office? No good. Bush's still quite massive but a bit smaller tax cuts? Fine! Obama's massive amounts of stimulus in 2009? Terrible - deficit here we come, etc. Obama's still pretty massive amounts of stimulus with $100 chopped off by Snowe? Great! Really, though, there's no coherent ideology that says "the policies of the current president, except somewhat cheaper, are always good, even when one of them is a radical supply-sider and another is a liberal Democrat". If you're proposing legislation from the White House's end, you should be able to basically game this system by initially overbidding by $100 million.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #132 on: March 05, 2012, 12:12:49 AM »

This posts sums up Snowe perfectly, as well as the premise of Moderate Heroism which so many here still hold up as a virtue:

The thing is, they don't really have a coherent viewpoint, except they'll vote for anything if you cut around a couple of hundred million from what gets originally proposed. Bush's initial massive tax cuts after taking office? No good. Bush's still quite massive but a bit smaller tax cuts? Fine! Obama's massive amounts of stimulus in 2009? Terrible - deficit here we come, etc. Obama's still pretty massive amounts of stimulus with $100 chopped off by Snowe? Great! Really, though, there's no coherent ideology that says "the policies of the current president, except somewhat cheaper, are always good, even when one of them is a radical supply-sider and another is a liberal Democrat". If you're proposing legislation from the White House's end, you should be able to basically game this system by initially overbidding by $100 million.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that remembers and loves that quote. A perfect summary of Snowe.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #133 on: March 05, 2012, 02:49:33 AM »

Morderation and compromise. 2 principles i value most of all in politics, which, essentially, is "an art of compromise". And i really dislike (almost tio the level of hate)  boneheaded ideological "purists"
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #134 on: March 05, 2012, 02:50:29 AM »

I too am wondering this, unless the Golden Mean Fallacy can be considered a principle.

Look at my answer to redcommander))))
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #135 on: March 05, 2012, 02:54:24 AM »

Look at my answer to redcommander))))

Very admirable things, except in this situation it wasn't often that she was compromising constructively so much as, as somebody else pointed out, being willing to vote for pretty much anything as long as it was or seemed to be a cheaper version of something else. I have no doubt that she valued moderation and compromise and practiced them to the best of her ability but she just wasn't forceful enough to be a successful broker most of the time.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #136 on: March 05, 2012, 02:55:13 AM »

They were to vote as right-wing as possible to help the national party as one can get away with in the 3rd least religious state until she finally had enough with this birth control vote and decided to quit.

You are not opposed to Democrats voting "as left-wing as possible to help national party..." (and so on), don't you? Then why do you condemn her? IMHO - BOTH parties now (and, especially, their activists, who tend to hew to the most extreme politics of their parties) are huge hypocrites right now: they readly allow itself (and justify it) to do things, which they condemn in opposite party. Hence - my deep dislike of BOTH parties as they are now...
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #137 on: March 05, 2012, 02:55:29 AM »

I'm glad I'm not the only one that remembers and loves that quote. A perfect summary of Snowe.

haha, I also remembered it.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #138 on: March 05, 2012, 01:13:21 PM »

Cutler isn't running but he's encouraging Angus King.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #139 on: March 06, 2012, 07:19:48 AM »

Good riddance. I have more respect for outspoken conservatives than phony moderate heroes.

Why?  What's wrong with being a moderate?
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #140 on: March 07, 2012, 10:12:53 PM »

Snowe leaves office with a 69/26 approval rating. This ties Inouye and Barrasso for most popular.

Collins isn't far behind at 60/31.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #141 on: March 07, 2012, 10:51:10 PM »

Well Looks like Democrats will hold the Senate now.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #142 on: March 09, 2012, 03:07:48 AM »

Well Looks like Democrats will hold the Senate now.

No they're not.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #143 on: March 09, 2012, 02:20:00 PM »

Yes, King will caucus with them.
Reginald
« Reply #144 on: March 09, 2012, 04:38:04 PM »

Even if they pick up Maine, they would lose Nebraska,  North Dakota, Missouri, Wisconsin, and Montana if the election were today. Add in Florida and Virginia as toss ups,and there's the possibility of Republicans picking up 7 seats. Even if Democrats won Massachusetts, Arizona, and Snowe's seat that wouldn't be enough to prevent a Republican majority.

And Nevada? I'd like to hear your proclamation on that one as well, since you appear to be delivering absolute metaphysical certitude here.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #145 on: March 09, 2012, 04:47:04 PM »
« Edited: March 09, 2012, 04:59:03 PM by redcommander »

Even if they pick up Maine, they would lose Nebraska,  North Dakota, Missouri, Wisconsin, and Montana if the election were today. Add in Florida and Virginia as toss ups,and there's the possibility of Republicans picking up 7 seats. Even if Democrats won Massachusetts, Arizona, and Snowe's seat that wouldn't be enough to prevent a Republican majority.

And Nevada? I'd like to hear your proclamation on that one as well, since you appear to be delivering absolute metaphysical certitude here.

High Mormon turnout for Mittens should help Heller win. And do you expect Democrats to hold on to the senate especially with the lack of crazy Republicans running this year?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #146 on: March 09, 2012, 04:56:07 PM »

Yep. Steelman, Rehberg, Allen, Thompson, Mack, Mandel, Scott Brown... no Sharron Angles there.
Reginald
« Reply #147 on: March 09, 2012, 04:59:19 PM »

Even if they pick up Maine, they would lose Nebraska,  North Dakota, Missouri, Wisconsin, and Montana if the election were today. Add in Florida and Virginia as toss ups,and there's the possibility of Republicans picking up 7 seats. Even if Democrats won Massachusetts, Arizona, and Snowe's seat that wouldn't be enough to prevent a Republican majority.

High Mormon turnout for Mittens should help Heller win. And do you expect Democrats to hold on to the senate especially with the lack of crazy Republicans running this year?

I think conjecturing this far out (before we even know who the nominees are in some cases) is pretty much worthless. And the Democrats' potential success or failure certainly doesn't depend solely on how poor the Republican candidates are.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #148 on: March 09, 2012, 05:08:08 PM »

I think conjecturing this far out (before we even know who the nominees are in some cases) is pretty much worthless. And the Democrats' potential success or failure certainly doesn't depend solely on how poor the Republican candidates are.

True, but I'm going off the environment today, and if Democrats are at this much of a disadvantage in March, it doesn't look like it will get much better. Who knows, maybe some random economic or political news will actually help Democrats pick up seats, but my bets are on them losing control of the senate.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #149 on: March 09, 2012, 06:19:13 PM »

lol @ anyone claiming the Senate race isn't a tossup.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies