BREAKING: Snowe not running!!!!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:20:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  BREAKING: Snowe not running!!!!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Author Topic: BREAKING: Snowe not running!!!!  (Read 11979 times)
memphis
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: February 29, 2012, 09:22:49 PM »

While the partisan in me is extremely glad to see Snowe retire, she was a Republican whose first instinct was to modulate rather than throw red meat to the base and on cultural issues she frequently parted company with the party line.  I've read that she felt isolated and unwanted in the Republican caucus and really, who wants to stay where they are not wanted?  I wish her well in her retirement.
And yet she voted with all the other members of the GOP nearly every time. She was only a moderate in style.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #76 on: February 29, 2012, 11:50:21 PM »

While the partisan in me is extremely glad to see Snowe retire, she was a Republican whose first instinct was to modulate rather than throw red meat to the base and on cultural issues she frequently parted company with the party line.  I've read that she felt isolated and unwanted in the Republican caucus and really, who wants to stay where they are not wanted?  I wish her well in her retirement.
And yet she voted with all the other members of the GOP nearly every time. She was only a moderate in style.

She was actually quite moderate compared to everyone else in her caucus. I would even argue that Scott Brown is to the right of Snowe.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #77 on: March 01, 2012, 12:22:19 AM »
« Edited: March 01, 2012, 12:26:06 AM by Ogre Mage »

I would argue that Snowe's independent streak mostly stopped in the last two years.  The New York Times notes:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/26/us/politics/republicans-stampede-to-the-right-ahead-of-2012-election.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all

She's been catering to the Tea Party of late and her statement suggests that she didn't like it.  It's worth noting that this is not a Ben Nelson style exit where Snowe is quitting because she probably would have been defeated.  She's leaving because she no longer wants to be in the Senate.

tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #78 on: March 01, 2012, 12:29:23 AM »

All Snowe ever did was vote with the Republicans on three-line whips and literally flip a coin (I have no more coherent ideological explanation) on everything else.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #79 on: March 01, 2012, 01:14:56 AM »

The constant emphasis on ideology is tiring. There is more to politics, at least in the real world.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #80 on: March 01, 2012, 01:22:27 AM »

The constant emphasis on ideology is tiring. There is more to politics, at least in the real world.

I have more respect for a bad ideology than to just not have one at all. Hell, wormyguy is giving her too much credit by saying he just decides her votes on coinflip. Some of her votes and pronouncements in the last few years have made absolutely no sense and actively contradict each other. No one with a coherent ideology can do and say some of the things she's done since Obama was elected.

I have little sympathy for her remarks about the evils of partisanship and violence in political rhetoric. That's her party's fault. If she wanted to do something about it, she should've stood up and fought back against it; instead she played right into it. How can I respect that?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #81 on: March 01, 2012, 01:42:39 AM »

So, she is 2012's Evan Bayh. My personal view is that ideology is simply one piece of the puzzle concerning an individual's decision making abilities. Obviously, I am no fan of Snowe (nor Bayh), due to my own ideology, but I don't see having a strict ideology as some sort of prerequisite for elected office. It isn't as if someone's actual ideology shines through in one's votes anyway, and to ask for consistency of a normal politician is absolutely absurd.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #82 on: March 01, 2012, 02:18:52 AM »
« Edited: March 01, 2012, 02:24:35 AM by redcommander »

So, she is 2012's Evan Bayh. My personal view is that ideology is simply one piece of the puzzle concerning an individual's decision making abilities. Obviously, I am no fan of Snowe (nor Bayh), due to my own ideology, but I don't see having a strict ideology as some sort of prerequisite for elected office. It isn't as if someone's actual ideology shines through in one's votes anyway, and to ask for consistency of a normal politician is absolutely absurd.

For whatever reason Mainers kept reelecting her too. I don't know. I guess the politics of sticking your finger in the air of which ever way the wind is blowing is popular among the electorate there. I personally would have respected her more as an individual if she had as a Senator been more firm and explicit on why she chose to vote the way she did. Instead she just came of as qualifying her political positions all the time. 
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #83 on: March 01, 2012, 02:21:24 AM »

Replacing Snowe with Michaud is hardly going to shift that seat any more than an inch to the left.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #84 on: March 01, 2012, 02:27:28 AM »

Snowe's pretty much the Joe Lieberman of the Republican Party, it's safe to say.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #85 on: March 01, 2012, 02:49:40 AM »

I wouldn't like Michaud, but whatever.

I don't think it's that Pingree is "too liberal" for Maine, but it's just something about her that rubs people the wrong way. I'd be behind her daughter Hannah if she went for it, though.

IMHO Pingree would be very good for Vermont, not especially good for not so liberal Maine and awful for new Hampshire)))). Something like that))
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #86 on: March 01, 2012, 02:50:52 AM »

I don't think it's that Pingree is "too liberal" for Maine, but it's just something about her that rubs people the wrong way. I'd be behind her daughter Hannah if she went for it, though.

IMHO Pingree would be very good for Vermont, not especially good for not so liberal Maine and awful for new Hampshire)))). Something like that))

She almost lost her district in 2008, and again in 2010. It's not as if she's that strong of a candidate to put up.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #87 on: March 01, 2012, 02:55:51 AM »

She almost lost her district in 2008, and again in 2010. It's not as if she's that strong of a candidate to put up.

Not so, if i remember correctly. She beat moderate Republican by 55-45 in very good Democratic year 2008 and then - his conservative primary opponent by 57-43 in 2010. So technically she even improved. But, again, the quality (or the lack of one) of a candidate was a key factor here: it's an idiocy to run a strongly conservative candidate in ME-01 even in such year as 2010... The same as to run "a progressive" Democrat in AL-02 or MS-04
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #88 on: March 01, 2012, 03:00:45 AM »

Not so, if i remember correctly. She beat moderate Republican by 55-45 in very good Democratic year 2008 and then - his conservative primary opponent by 57-43 in 2010. So technically she even improved.

I was about to post this as well. I agree that Michaud would obviously be a stronger candidate from an electoral perspective, but let's not all act like Pingree has held onto her seat by a thread or something. And besides, who exactly do the Republicans have on offer, anyway?
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #89 on: March 01, 2012, 03:24:57 AM »

This. I like the idea of the younger generation moving up to take this seat instead -- much easier to keep in the column, and if her quick political ascent in the state legislature is any indication, Hannah is a chip off the old block.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #90 on: March 01, 2012, 03:34:51 AM »

She's pretty crunchy/granola and represents a stereotype of Portland-residents that isn't favorable in the rest of Maine. She also comes off as fairly aloof and elitist. That's my take on it, at least.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #91 on: March 01, 2012, 03:46:11 AM »

She's pretty crunchy/granola and represents a stereotype of Portland-residents that isn't favorable in the rest of Maine. She also comes off as fairly aloof and elitist. That's my take on it, at least.

Didn't she also have a controversy over a private airplane she owns?
Vermin Supreme
Henry Clay

« Reply #92 on: March 01, 2012, 07:23:36 AM »

And great for Massachusetts and Rhode Island, alright for Connecticut
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #93 on: March 01, 2012, 07:46:43 AM »

And great for Massachusetts and Rhode Island, alright for Connecticut

Yes! We can mention all states this way. Very good to great for some, bad fo awful - for other..)))
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #94 on: March 01, 2012, 08:22:30 AM »

Get your mind out of the gutter.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #95 on: March 01, 2012, 08:48:45 AM »

I think you misinterpreted Holmes, because it is quite sure he wasn't meaning what you interpreted.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #96 on: March 01, 2012, 02:58:56 PM »

It would be hilarious if both Michaud and Pingree's seats went for the GOP, and Republicans held the senate seat with someone more right-wing.

No way Republicans win Pingree's seat.  Obama won that seat by 63%-36% and even Kerry won it 56%-43%. 
Svensson
NVTownsend

« Reply #97 on: March 01, 2012, 03:12:10 PM »

I question whose mind is in the gutter when you were the one who leapt to the presumption that he was being filthy. Wink
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #98 on: March 01, 2012, 10:14:28 PM »

Michaud is out, so I guess it'll be Pingree.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #99 on: March 01, 2012, 10:22:31 PM »

The idea of Pingree being "too liberal" for Maine is downright silly. She represents 50% of the state already, has strong name recognition that likely beats out any current Republican challenger.

Maine is a state that in the span of 15 years, has elected Angus King, Susan Collins/Olympia Snowe, Chellie Pingree, John Baldacci, and Paul LePage. Pingree obviously is aware that she needs to run a statewide campaign, and will need to attract independent Maine voters. At best for the GOP, this will be a close race. Worst case scenario for the GOP, Pingree gets a major advantage by riding Obama's coattails and they end up with a candidate with little name recognition.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies