BREAKING: Snowe not running!!!! (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:46:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  BREAKING: Snowe not running!!!! (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: BREAKING: Snowe not running!!!!  (Read 12012 times)
redcommander
YaBB God
« on: February 28, 2012, 06:19:21 PM »

What are you talking about? They control the state legislature. Of course they have a bench of electable candidates to run. And Democrats shouldn't be counting their chickens when Maine did after all elect Paul LePage.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 06:21:46 PM »

And Democrats shouldn't be counting their chickens when Maine did after all elect Paul LePage.

With <40% of the vote...

It's Maine. The last gubernatorial candidate to win over 50% was an Independent.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 07:36:53 PM »

Wow. I wish her the best.

This could cancel out Nebraska.

I sure hope Collins doesn't follow suit in 2014...

That wouldn't be good news either, especially since Collins is slightly more conservative than Snowe.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 06:18:25 AM »

Well, I may be in the minority for saying this, but it's disappointing to see one of the few non-hyperpartisan members of Congress retiring. She served Maine well.

+101! I stated many times that after 35 years of studying US politics in details i began to lose interest in that exactly because of hyperpartisanship of last years. What sense it would make to analyze 435 races in which 435 Pelosi-clones will run against 435 Boehner-clones? Absolutely  no sense. And we are close to that already. Snowe was one of my favorite Senators exactly because she was a genuine moderate almost all time (it seems ti me she moved somewhat to the right after 2010 election). Sad. And BOTH parties are to blame for abandoning "big tent" policy of the past. Honestly - i don't know which one - more, and don't like to know that.

The race is somewhere between leans and likely Democratiс right now. The best Democratic candidate (IMHO, of course) would be Michaud, but then Democrats may lose his district in House. Pingree is way too liberal and too shrill for my tastes...

Republicans need very moderate candidate here, and moderates have at least some difficulties in republican primaries as of late (not only in 2010, when tea-party crowd carried LePage over finish line and then he was a biggest "lucky person of the year" by winning over atrocious Democrat and reasonable Independent, who would win if elections would be held 3-4 days later), but in  2006 as well, when they nominated an idiot Woodcock and thus immediately lost a chance to defeat unpopular Baldacci. And they need such candidate QUICK... We shall see whether they will be able to find one. Raye, Otten, Abbot, Summers? All are not that bad, but not especially great either.

Peter Mills seems like the best candidate, but I'm not sure he wants to run again after losing to LePage in 2010's primary.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 07:43:58 AM »

Peter Mills seems like the best candidate, but I'm not sure he wants to run again after losing to LePage in 2010's primary.

I thought about him. But he is almost 70 if i remember correctly

Sad. Perhaps Steve Abbott then? He is close with Collins, so they would probably work well together if he were elected.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 08:33:14 AM »
« Edited: February 29, 2012, 08:35:36 AM by redcommander »

I thought about him. But he is almost 70 if i remember correctly

Sad. Perhaps Steve Abbott then? He is close with Collins, so they would probably work well together if he were elected.

May be. But he ran 4th in 2010 Gubernatorial primary. Obviously not so bad, taking into consideration that LePage was (as i said earlier) "carried by very strong (then, not now) tea-party movement") and Otten, Mills and Abbott were only 2-3% apart... (All 3 were moderates BTW... Moderates and conservatives split vote almost equally, but moderate vote was much more split)). Serious candidate (especially if Democrats nominate Pingree), but we shall see whether he can quickly raise neccessary campaign funds

Hmmm... Peter Cianchette seems like a stronger candidate in that case. He has an edge on is that he has statewide recognition from running for Governor in 2002, and actually did better than Baldacci in Portland, where any Republican running is going to need to do well (especially against Pingree).
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 06:55:44 PM »

It would be hilarious if both Michaud and Pingree's seats went for the GOP, and Republicans held the senate seat with someone more right-wing.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 11:50:21 PM »

While the partisan in me is extremely glad to see Snowe retire, she was a Republican whose first instinct was to modulate rather than throw red meat to the base and on cultural issues she frequently parted company with the party line.  I've read that she felt isolated and unwanted in the Republican caucus and really, who wants to stay where they are not wanted?  I wish her well in her retirement.
And yet she voted with all the other members of the GOP nearly every time. She was only a moderate in style.

She was actually quite moderate compared to everyone else in her caucus. I would even argue that Scott Brown is to the right of Snowe.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 02:18:52 AM »
« Edited: March 01, 2012, 02:24:35 AM by redcommander »

So, she is 2012's Evan Bayh. My personal view is that ideology is simply one piece of the puzzle concerning an individual's decision making abilities. Obviously, I am no fan of Snowe (nor Bayh), due to my own ideology, but I don't see having a strict ideology as some sort of prerequisite for elected office. It isn't as if someone's actual ideology shines through in one's votes anyway, and to ask for consistency of a normal politician is absolutely absurd.

For whatever reason Mainers kept reelecting her too. I don't know. I guess the politics of sticking your finger in the air of which ever way the wind is blowing is popular among the electorate there. I personally would have respected her more as an individual if she had as a Senator been more firm and explicit on why she chose to vote the way she did. Instead she just came of as qualifying her political positions all the time. 
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 02:50:52 AM »

I wouldn't like Michaud, but whatever.

I don't think it's that Pingree is "too liberal" for Maine, but it's just something about her that rubs people the wrong way. I'd be behind her daughter Hannah if she went for it, though.

IMHO Pingree would be very good for Vermont, not especially good for not so liberal Maine and awful for new Hampshire)))). Something like that))

She almost lost her district in 2008, and again in 2010. It's not as if she's that strong of a candidate to put up.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2012, 03:46:11 AM »

I wouldn't like Michaud, but whatever.

I don't think it's that Pingree is "too liberal" for Maine, but it's just something about her that rubs people the wrong way. I'd be behind her daughter Hannah if she went for it, though.

She's pretty crunchy/granola and represents a stereotype of Portland-residents that isn't favorable in the rest of Maine. She also comes off as fairly aloof and elitist. That's my take on it, at least.

Didn't she also have a controversy over a private airplane she owns?
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2012, 12:34:26 AM »

Come one Cutler. Run again and ruin the Dems chances of winning another race.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2012, 06:45:18 PM »

After her birth control mandate vote, good riddance.
I will say just opposite: "Thank you, Senator Snowe, for being true to your principles. Even after announcing retirement.."

What are her principles?
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2012, 03:07:48 AM »

Well Looks like Democrats will hold the Senate now.

No they're not.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2012, 04:47:04 PM »
« Edited: March 09, 2012, 04:59:03 PM by redcommander »

Even if they pick up Maine, they would lose Nebraska,  North Dakota, Missouri, Wisconsin, and Montana if the election were today. Add in Florida and Virginia as toss ups,and there's the possibility of Republicans picking up 7 seats. Even if Democrats won Massachusetts, Arizona, and Snowe's seat that wouldn't be enough to prevent a Republican majority.

And Nevada? I'd like to hear your proclamation on that one as well, since you appear to be delivering absolute metaphysical certitude here.

High Mormon turnout for Mittens should help Heller win. And do you expect Democrats to hold on to the senate especially with the lack of crazy Republicans running this year?
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2012, 05:08:08 PM »

Even if they pick up Maine, they would lose Nebraska,  North Dakota, Missouri, Wisconsin, and Montana if the election were today. Add in Florida and Virginia as toss ups,and there's the possibility of Republicans picking up 7 seats. Even if Democrats won Massachusetts, Arizona, and Snowe's seat that wouldn't be enough to prevent a Republican majority.

And Nevada? I'd like to hear your proclamation on that one as well, since you appear to be delivering absolute metaphysical certitude here.

High Mormon turnout for Mittens should help Heller win. And do you expect Democrats to hold on to the senate especially with the lack of crazy Republicans running this year?

I think conjecturing this far out (before we even know who the nominees are in some cases) is pretty much worthless. And the Democrats' potential success or failure certainly doesn't depend solely on how poor the Republican candidates are.

True, but I'm going off the environment today, and if Democrats are at this much of a disadvantage in March, it doesn't look like it will get much better. Who knows, maybe some random economic or political news will actually help Democrats pick up seats, but my bets are on them losing control of the senate.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies