If the US hadn't intervened in Irak...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:01:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  If the US hadn't intervened in Irak...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ...what would have happened to Saddam Hussein during the Arab Spring ?
He would have been overthrown in a relatively peaceful way (see Tunisia)

Protests and riots would have degenerated into a civil war or close to a civil war - Saddam eventually bows out

Protests and riots would have degenerated into a civil war or close to a civil war - Western countries eventually intervene and help overthrowing it (see Libya)

Protests and riots would have degenerated into a civil war or close to a civil war - but the international community would fail to take any action and the fighting would continue for months (see Syria)

Protests and riots would have degenerated into a civil war or close to a civil war - but Saddam would eventually crush the opposition

Some protests would have erupted, but not enough to succeed (see Saudi Arabia)

Some protests would have erupted, but Saddam would manage to placate them through moderate reform (see Morocco)

No significant protest would have erupted

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 24

Author Topic: If the US hadn't intervened in Irak...  (Read 1357 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 27, 2012, 04:15:19 PM »

While thinking about the bloodbath in Syria and the Arab Spring, the though just crossed my mind. If Saddam hadn't been overthrown in 2003, Irak would likely have been affected by the Arab Spring too. That's why I'm interested in knowing your speculations on these issues. I've tried to include all the possible outcomes, even though some of them aren't much likely (I'd rule out options 1, 7 or Cool.

Personally, I think the situation of Irak had the possibility to become as bloody as Libya and Syria, considering the strong religious and ethnic divide, and the bitterness of those categories toward the regime. No idea what the international community would have done, but without the disaster that was the 2003 Irak intervention, it's easy to imagine the US being still in an interveintionist mood.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 04:28:07 PM »

If Iraq had not been invaded and we'd instead concentrated on doing the job right in Afghanistan, there would be sufficient butterflies that the Arab Spring happening on schedule would have been unlikely.  It may have happened earlier or later, but our presence in Iraq definitely affected when an Arab Spring could have taken place.  it certainly affected the outcomes elsewhere.  The intervention in Libya would have at a minimum taken place without the approval of the Security Council, as I suspect Gaddafi would have remained a useful semi-pariah for the Russians as he would not have taken the steps he did to avoid becoming the next dictator subjected to an Iraqi-style intervention.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 04:36:40 PM »

4 or 5...I went with 4.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 04:42:45 PM »

Why is it spelled Irak in French? It seems odd, seeing as that k isn't a French letter (if it were fully Gallicized, it would be Irac). Is the letter qaf transliterated as k in French?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 05:59:25 PM »

Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 07:42:08 PM »

Iraq really should have been split into 3 countries. Blame the British and French for drawing random borders.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 08:10:15 PM »

It still should be broken up into three countries, but it's neighbors and I think the non-Kurdish Sunnis in the middle have less oil than the other two regions and feel they'd get screwed in the split (not that they wouldn't deserve it since they've been the ones enjoying the oil money while sh**tting on the other two groups for the last half a century).  What's for the best doesn't always get done if people with a little bit of power feel like they might get slighted a little in the process.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 08:31:45 PM »

If there was a Libya type situation in Iraq I don't think the West would miss out on a golden opportunity to defeat one their primary adversaries in the region. So yeah, I voted that it would be like Libya.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 07:26:41 AM »

Why is it spelled Irak in French? It seems odd, seeing as that k isn't a French letter (if it were fully Gallicized, it would be Irac). Is the letter qaf transliterated as k in French?

I honestly have no idea. Iraq would make more sense, indeed.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 08:09:43 AM »

I don't know about French, but in Polish it's "Irak" too, although under a proper scholarly transliteration qaf would stay. But, heh, the same should go for Qaddafi, who was "Kadafi" in Polish.

More I'm studying Arabic, the more I'm annoyed with bastardisations.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2012, 02:06:03 PM »

If Iraq had not been invaded and we'd instead concentrated on doing the job right in Afghanistan, there would be sufficient butterflies that the Arab Spring happening on schedule would have been unlikely.  It may have happened earlier or later, but our presence in Iraq definitely affected when an Arab Spring could have taken place.  it certainly affected the outcomes elsewhere.  The intervention in Libya would have at a minimum taken place without the approval of the Security Council, as I suspect Gaddafi would have remained a useful semi-pariah for the Russians as he would not have taken the steps he did to avoid becoming the next dictator subjected to an Iraqi-style intervention.

I agree - many of the states were the Arab Spring took place were propped up by the US and if it hadn't been for Iraq, the US would have been more popular.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2012, 08:43:05 PM »

Like Libya, but Gaddafi stays in power; the economic crash was the main force behind the Democratic victory, and I think it's reasonable to suggest a Democrat in 2011, in probably-still-not-too-dissimilar circumstances, would only have the political capital for one war, and Saddam is more of a bad guy than Gaddafi under pretty much any reasonable definition.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2012, 08:51:07 PM »

and Saddam is more of a bad guy than Gaddafi under pretty much any reasonable definition.

Really ? I'm not saying Saddam was significantly better, but the two seem at least comparable in terms of hideousness. Hasn't Gaddafi has done his fair deal of atrocities too ?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2012, 12:18:54 AM »

and Saddam is more of a bad guy than Gaddafi under pretty much any reasonable definition.

Really ? I'm not saying Saddam was significantly better, but the two seem at least comparable in terms of hideousness. Hasn't Gaddafi has done his fair deal of atrocities too ?
Saddam's got a much higher "kill" total.  They both were giant douches and the world is better off without them, but Saddam was at least an order of magnitude (pop POP!) more deadly than Gaddafi.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2012, 12:38:04 AM »

I don't know about French, but in Polish it's "Irak" too, although under a proper scholarly transliteration qaf would stay. But, heh, the same should go for Qaddafi, who was "Kadafi" in Polish.

More I'm studying Arabic, the more I'm annoyed with bastardisations.

Of course, Polish uses the letter k, so that makes sense. French doesn't.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2012, 10:39:21 PM »

Saddam's got a much higher "kill" total.  They both were giant douches and the world is better off without them, but Saddam was at least an order of magnitude (pop POP!) more deadly than Gaddafi.
And Gaddafi has some actual positive achievements to his name - literacy, or the Great Manmade River. Of course, everything averaged out he was pretty bad, but he was better than plenty of people the US has not intervened against yet (Assad and Hamas come to mind first as some targets the US could get rid of with a wrist-flick; bigger baddies like Iran are more difficult).
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2012, 04:38:41 AM »

And Gaddafi has some actual positive achievements to his name - literacy, or the Great Manmade River. Of course, everything averaged out he was pretty bad, but he was better than plenty of people the US has not intervened against yet (Assad and Hamas come to mind first as some targets the US could get rid of with a wrist-flick; bigger baddies like Iran are more difficult).

It would be harder to get rid of Assad than Gaddafi - better military for a start.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2012, 05:21:30 AM »

OK, I stand corrected.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2012, 10:43:18 AM »
« Edited: March 04, 2012, 10:45:56 AM by Hank4Senate »

Saddam's got a much higher "kill" total.  They both were giant douches and the world is better off without them, but Saddam was at least an order of magnitude (pop POP!) more deadly than Gaddafi.

Iraq is much bigger than Libya in terms of population. Gaddafi didn't have Kurds and was not involved in a lenghty war with Iran. If you placed Muammar in helm of Iraq, things would be either the same or even worse, considering that Gaddafi was far more deluded than Saddam.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2012, 10:45:41 AM »

and?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2012, 01:57:10 PM »

if the US hadn't pushed for sanctions in the 90s and 00s then he very possibly would have faced serious trouble.  but God knows, counterfactuals are largely useless.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2012, 02:17:24 PM »

if the US hadn't pushed for sanctions in the 90s and 00s then he very possibly would have faced serious trouble.  but God knows, counterfactuals are largely useless.

But they're fun.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies