Upper Classes more likely to break the law, lie, and cheat.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:00:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Upper Classes more likely to break the law, lie, and cheat.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Upper Classes more likely to break the law, lie, and cheat.  (Read 1274 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2012, 08:18:02 PM »

lmao.  I'm just trying to get you to lighten up dude, you're mad serious all of the time.  the thought of the Paulie Piff from high school having ascended to PhD level clinical psych or whatever at the age of 20 is hilarious.

I actually do have a sense of humor, but it doesn't always translate well to text, especially when I'm not talking about myself, since I have a formal writing style and my sense of humor is extremely self-effacing and at times kind of sick.

I assure you, that is hilarious, and 'I highly doubt it's the same guy' was supposed to be tongue-in-cheek.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2012, 09:25:56 PM »

It would be interesting to compare the distribution of traffic law offenders by income in jurisdictions that have flat fines and those where fines are based on one's income.

A straightforward case can be made that a $100 fine is far less punishing for a millionaire than a thousandaire, and hence would have less deterrent value,
Jacobtm

« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2012, 11:11:29 PM »
« Edited: February 29, 2012, 11:15:09 PM by Jacobtm »

Republicans are impervious to Facts, contemptuous of Experts, and much better at dog-piling on something they don't like to tear it down.

And yet you can't deny the basic fact that the wealth and immorality go hand in hand. The rich  over more people than the poor could ever dream to. Whether wealth makes you immoral or immorality lets you get wealthy (probably a combo of both) is unimportant.

Cheaters prosper. It's not a secret.

Yet Republicans' uncanny ability to ignore the truth threatens to blind the poor to how royally they're regularly getting screwed over by the rich.

South Park summed it up well

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/165712/how-do-i-reach-these-kids
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2012, 05:29:36 AM »

I understand that the Pope may well be a Catholic.

Al, what seems obvious to us is still doubted by the duped proles:

...said psychologist Paul Piff of the University of California, Berkeley...

nuf said
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2012, 07:58:12 AM »

Just at a glance several of the studies seem dubious. I mean, as far as I know there are many actual hard statistics on the link between SES and crime rates and typically crime rates are much higher in the lower group.

On anecdotal experience I'm not sure I buy a strong correlation either way. Both rich and poor people can feel entitled for different reasons and it tends to be because they're assholes rather than due to having or not having money.

Of course, some crimes will be more likely for some groups than others. Rich people are more likely to do tax evasion, poor people more likely to do petty theft.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2012, 08:32:35 AM »

I think in this debate it is important to distinguish between "pseudo-science" (like Homeopathy), "non-science" (like the study of history - but which can still be empirical) and "science-without-accepted-paradigms" (to which would fit psychology and some branches of Anthropology) and also "incorrect science". And then we must also distinguish between Science and Empiricism, which is a philosophical theory and thus the view that all sciences can be approached by the same method (the "it-worked-for-physics-so-therefore-it-must-work-for-X" approach).

Yes, I'm very aware of the problems of my distinctions. But they are a better than what this debate usually consists of. But hell, much better minds than I have spent the last 150+ years trying to find a fully coherent definition of "science" so I don't think I'm going to succeed here.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2012, 10:08:57 AM »

Surprise!

Upper Classes are more likely to be able to pay a very good lawyer or just buy peace, which explains much things.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2012, 11:46:26 AM »

Both rich and poor people can feel entitled for different reasons and it tends to be because they're assholes rather than due to having or not having money.

Poor people - not to a man, but nearly all of them - feel one overriding emotion every waking moment - fear.
Tidewater_Wave
United States

« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2012, 03:03:38 AM »

Yes I live in an upscale suburb where everyone has a perfect life. Everyone is a doctor, lawyer, engineer, professional, or has enough money to retire or not have to work. Very few women work at all. Parents are notorious here for buying cars on 16th birthdays and their kids not working a day in their lives until after college or graduate school. Customers at restaurants are picky about what color tooth picks they get, they'll walk to the kitchen to ask something, and complain about no window seats being available while their kids run around like it's Chucky Cheese. I have yet to meet a person in town whom I can really say that I've clicked with or become friends with. Lying and cheating are everywhere. As far as breaking the law, the biggest crimes we probably have are not using turn signals or underage smoking of cigarettes. In fact, just a year and a half ago after I moved back here, a woman and her 6 year old son were arrested for playing in a waterfall built into the side of a hill at our local township plaza after asking the cop about it being a big deal. I appreciate people who are successful, but many times their heads go so far up their asses that they can't see how they are towads others. Take San Francisco for example and how they turn people into outcasts who don't recycle. It would be alot better in our country if people could get along without such pettiness. I'm guilty even somewhat. To a certain extent I haven't seen much of the real world, but then again there seems to be so much trouble out there that I don't see what I'm missing on the other side of our gated communities sometimes.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies