2012 Non-Presidential Primaries Thread (6/12 - AR runoff, ME, ND, NV, SC, VA) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:18:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2012 Non-Presidential Primaries Thread (6/12 - AR runoff, ME, ND, NV, SC, VA) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2012 Non-Presidential Primaries Thread (6/12 - AR runoff, ME, ND, NV, SC, VA)  (Read 84109 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« on: March 20, 2012, 11:46:04 PM »
« edited: March 20, 2012, 11:54:54 PM by The needle and the damage done »

Kinzinger was one of the few Republicans to be more anti-Gaddafi than anti-Obama, so I supported him. Good.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 10:33:57 PM »

As someone who likes the Maryland map and thinks Edwards is being pretty whiny over still having a safe D seat and isn't too fond of some rich guy buying the primary, I'm a little mixed here. But if he can hold the seat, great, we have it, plus that Garagiola attack ad sounds inane beyond words so...

I'm actually rather shocked Bartlett is even running again, he's so old as it is that no one would be surprised if he retired even without the redistricting situation.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 02:34:08 PM »

Mia Love won the UT-04 GOP nomination tonight; no primary will be held.

A black Mormon? Well I suppose she's young enough to not remember when they taught black skin was the mark of Cain, if she was even alive then (what year did they abandon that belief?)

Although did she convert? If not then that means her parents were Mormons during that time...
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 02:40:04 PM »

Upon a little research, I see that Gladys Knight also has converted to Mormonism. That equals three black Mormons I know of (the third being that guy in Mali.)
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 12:21:06 AM »

Isn't it like a 61% Obama district? The only seat comparable to that the GOP holds is that one in Illinois where the guy barely won by about 3 points against a terrible three time loser candidate in 2010 in Obama's home state with his inflated numbers. So a Tea Party candidate even Phil thinks is terrible is clearly not winning districts like that, but this is J. J. we are talking about...
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 12:27:38 AM »
« Edited: April 25, 2012, 12:30:46 AM by blood red X's for every 24 hours ive suffered through »

WOW@the geographic polarization. Holden won only two counties, Carbon and Schuylkill. But he got 85.4% in Schuylkill. In Lackawanna he only got 225 and in Luzerne only about 28%.

Schuylkill obviously probably won't vote for Cartwright in the general election, but the Democrats usually don't win it anyway. Better question is if this woman is going to appeal to Scranton.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 08:52:31 AM »

WOW@the geographic polarization. Holden won only two counties, Carbon and Schuylkill. But he got 85.4% in Schuylkill. In Lackawanna he only got 225 and in Luzerne only about 28%.

Schuylkill obviously probably won't vote for Cartwright in the general election, but the Democrats usually don't win it anyway. Better question is if this woman is going to appeal to Scranton.

I don't know; something strange is happening.  Kane defeated the favorite, Murphy.  The "establishment" GOP candidate went down to Smith.  Is it still R +6?
The new PA-17 is Obama 57-42

Here's proof J. J. is trolling by deliberately being dense. Everyone who followed this in the slightest knows that the new PA-17 picked up Scranton and is far more Dem and thus pretty far from R+6, basically the inverse in fact.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 10:22:27 PM »

Both Altmire and Critz are on the right wing of the Dmeocratic party, so I don't see ideology as a factor there. Obviously was in PA-17.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 08:55:02 AM »

The fact that smoking rates in California are so low are exactly why I'm shocked they voted it down and fell for the Big Tobacco propaganda. Raising cigarette taxes has been pretty easy in far more conservative states with higher rates of smoking.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2012, 09:37:57 PM »

From the Wikipedia article on Barron:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

HP big time. Good thing the whole state establishment is lining up against him (even if the outgoing incumbent isn't.)
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2012, 11:06:54 PM »

Well Gabbard is easily going to be the most attractive person in Congress when she gets in.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2012, 07:59:11 PM »

So our primaries are tomorrow and as usual, there's nothing particularly interesting. The only race worth watching is the MN-08 DFL primary, and I haven't followed that as closely as I should've. I do want to see what slate of candidates we get for the state leg though.

But the candidates in MN-08:

Tarryl Clark - Carpetbagger but probably not a big issue (Cravaack's from the wrong part of the district too), former State Senator who ran against Bachmann, endorsees unsurprisingly come from the western part of the district, has some Washington establishment support but the Iron Range machines matter more.
Rick Nolan - Former Congressman from over 30 years ago that probably no one remembers. Apparently the only person outside of Connecticut besides WalterMitty to endorse Chris Dodd in 2008 for President, also endorsed Kennedy in 1980. Personally I wouldn't support him as he's too old to be starting what's essentially a new Congressional career but he does seem to have a bit of a following and won the DFL endorsement.
Jeff Anderson - Duluth City Council President, lots of other endorsements from Duluth and the mining towns.

I'd have to call Nolan the favorite just because of the endorsement and machine politics, though I'd likely support Clark. Of course I'd support any over Cravaack, and any of them most likely will beat him. Regional patterns will be quite interesting...

BTW I need to look up who's best for the School Board seats and competitive judgeships now...
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2012, 10:31:28 PM »

MN-08 is less than 30% in, but Nolan has an almost 10 point lead on Clark, and based on what's in I think he has it.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2012, 10:52:24 AM »

Nolan takes it in MN-8.

TARRYL L. CLARK    17540    32.27%    
JEFF ANDERSON    15977    29.39%    
RICHARD NOLAN    20838    38.34%    

Also in MN-01 the presumed GOP candidate, a crazy right wing state senator lost to another far right candidate, a former state rep from over 20 years ago that's become a bit of a perennial candidate. Walz was never in any danger, but finally nominating this guy shows where the GOP has gone.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2012, 11:26:07 AM »

One thing of note about Nolan, he's from and appears to be quite strong in the normally Republican Brainerd area.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2012, 12:40:42 AM »

He's probably referring to that the GOP theoretically can repeal the mandate through reconciliation now (because it's now considered a tax), except repealing the mandate and leaving the rest of the bill intact is not what they and especially not the insurance companies want.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2012, 01:27:38 AM »

Wouldn't Sinema serve as a replacement for Pete Stark as atheist representation in Congress if he goes down?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies