1976 and On
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:04:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  1976 and On
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: 1976 and On  (Read 22283 times)
NHI
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2012, 02:10:18 PM »
« edited: March 03, 2012, 02:13:00 PM by NHI »

Close to the map I was expecting, though I thought OK would go Dem.

It was a close one:

OK:
Brooke: 49.6%
Carter: 49.3%
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2012, 06:11:45 PM »

Mmm... I'd have prefered Carter to win this. But I recognize Brooke is far more interesting for a TL. Show us Brooke's Cabinet, please Wink
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2012, 08:10:43 PM »

Brooke Cabinet:

Pres. Edward Brooke
Vice Pres. Ronald Reagan
Chief of Staff: Dick Cheney
Sec. of State: Henry Kissinger
Sec. of Treasury: Nelson Rockefeller
Sec. of Defense: George H.W. Bush
Attorney General: Edward Levi
Sec. of Interior:  Don Regan
Sec. of Agriculture: Roy Ash
Sec. of Commerce: Elliot Richardson
Sec. of Labor: William Scranton
Sec. of Health, Education and Welfare: John Lindsay
Sec. of Housing and Urban Development: Carla Anderson Hills
Sec. of Transportation: William Thaddeus Coleman

Stay tuned for the Narrative: 1977-1981, Brooke's First Term:

"I Edward Brooke do solemnly swear, that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States. So help me God."
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2012, 08:22:18 PM »

Were there any significant career changes for H.W., Rumsfeld, or Cheney given that the post-Watergate cabinet shake-ups haven't occured?
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2012, 09:31:59 PM »
« Edited: March 16, 2012, 08:45:26 AM by NHI »

Were there any significant career changes for H.W., Rumsfeld, or Cheney given that the post-Watergate cabinet shake-ups haven't occured?

Cheney served as Deputy Chief of Staff under Nixon, during his second term, before becoming Brooke's Chief of Staff. George H.W. Bush served as Ambassador to the United Nations under Nixon from 1971-1973 and was then asked to head up the CIA from 1973-1976. Brooke then tapped him for Defense and he agreed.

Rumsfeld served as a member of Congress until 1969, before being tapped by Nixon to serve as the US ambassador to NATO, where he served until 1974, when he ran for the senate in Illinois and defeated incumbent Adlai Stevenson, III in his reelection bid by a narrow margin: 49.79%-49.77%.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2012, 09:36:15 PM »

Senator Rummy! I'd like to see him have a future of some sort.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2012, 09:52:16 PM »
« Edited: March 03, 2012, 10:18:34 PM by NHI »

Senator Rummy! I'd like to see him have a future of some sort.

We'll see. I have a plan to continue this and see where it goes.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2012, 10:49:31 AM »

The Presidency:
On January 20, 1977, Edward Brooke became the 38th President of the United States, and the first black man to occupy the Oval Office. Despite having narrowly lost the popular vote to Carter, excitement did build around the Brooke Presidency, for as well as his historic victory, America looked the future with confidence and pride.

The Vietnam War still lingered in the minds of the American people, and wanting to end the discussion once and for all, on his second day in office, via Executive Order, President Brooke granted amnesty to Vietnam, Draft-evaders. The move was controversial, but was done in part to close the book on Vietnam. "The past is the past," Brooke said upon signing it. "Let's move forward into the future."

Though he had broken racial barriers, once thought unbreakable, Brooke did receive an even more heightened sense of security, unlike any President before him. Multiple threats were made against his life, and while at a visit to Detroit for a speech, secret service had to intervene to and prevent a crowd from getting out of hand, when a heckler started screaming incendiary language at Brooke.

Continuing on where President Nixon left off, Brooke worked to normalize relations with China, and made his first trip to the nation six months into the Presidency. He continued the policy of detente, started by Nixon, but began to shift away from it near the end of his second year in office.

He did labor for the SALT II Treaty, while at the same time calling out the Soviet Union for their conditions of human rights, and the barbaric nature of communism. While never acknowledged most believed it was Vice President Reagan, who was pushing for Brooke to take a harder line against the Soviets.

On the Domestic front, Brooke, whose legislature was predominately Republican, though the Democrats had small edges in the House, he pushed for a balanced budget and a need to curb government spending, in light of the continuing recovery from the 1973-1975 recession.

"We cannot keep going in this vicious cycle and expect different results. It is time for Congress to get serious. Balance the budget. Balance the budget by January 1981."  -- Pres. Brooke, State of the Union. 1978.

When oil prices started to rise he issued an executive order ending price control on domestic oil, and the potential problem subsided. By the start of 1979 Brooke's approval rating stood at high of 56% percent, and with the Republican taking control of the House in the '78 midterms, things seemed to be going well for the President.

As the '70s drew to a close, with the economy recovered, and America generally at peace in the world, Brooked looked to be heading for an easy reelection. Against a likely challenger in Ted Kennedy, Brooke trounced Kennedy 54% - 40% in a hypothetical matchup.

But, then the bubble burst. In the spring of 1979, a news story started to unravel that posed dire consequences for the President and his reelection effort. A news story broke, arguing that Brooke and TV journalist Barbara Walter had an ongoing affair from 1971 up until 1976, right before Brooke was elected President. The White House remained mum on the charge, calling it tabloid junk, but the story did not go away, and the President was being put in a compromising situation.

Pingvin
Pingvin99
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2012, 10:57:14 AM »

Oops!
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2012, 02:20:34 PM »

Brooke Approval Rating:

Approve: 46%
Disapprove: 51
No Opinion: 3%

Kennedy v. Brooke:
Kennedy: 48%
Brooke: 42%

Carter v. Brooke:
Carter: 51%
Brooke: 40%

Pressure continued to build on the White House for Brooke to make a statement. While at the same time Barbara Walter was inundated with questions regarding the story and her response was always, "I have no comment.", which only prompted more speculation that she was guilty.

As spring turned to summer the story became an increasing distraction and being unable to focus on his domestic agenda Brooke finally broke his silence and spoke to the American people in a live address on July 9th.

"In the recent months an allegation came to light, and I largely, and wrongly ignored it. I should have addressed the claims promptly and swiftly, rather than leave the American people guessing. This has not been an easy time for me, for my family to have a matter played out on the national stage is nothing short of an embarrassment, and I deeply apologize for the pain I have needlessly caused them.

So what are the facts in this case? In order to put it to bed once and for all and to continue on with the business of the nation I will not be mincing words in this address. The charges are true. From the winter of 1971 to the fall of 1976 I engaged in an extramarital affair. My wife, only recently became aware of my indiscretion, as the affair ended following the Republican national convention in 1976. I was irresponsible in my actions and wish I could back and reverse them. But I can't and now I must live my decisions for the rest of my life. I apologize to my family, I apologize to my staff, to the members of Congress, and I apologize to the American people. I am not asking you to forget or even for your forgiveness in what I have done, but I am asking for your prayers.

Good night, God Bless and God Bless America.

Responses to Brooke's speech were mixed. Some applauded him for taking responsibility and apologizing, other called him unfit to lead and was a disgrace to the country.

"It is a very sad in America when the President must be looked at through a lens of mistrust. The same brought to that office will take a long time to remove." -- Jimmy Carter.

"In light of all that has happened I will be taking an extended hiatus from ABC and will not be taking any questions on the matter." -- Barbara Walters.

As the nation tried to settle down after the uproar, Brooke's popularity remained low. The people now saw him as a liar and already were calling on his defeat in in the 1980 Presidential election. Angered and humiliated Brooke retreated to Camp David in the Fall on 1979 for deep contemplation and solace. His reelection campaign was put on hold until he had a clear idea of what his next move would be.

Unfortunately, Brooke didn't have much time for contemplation. On November 4, 1979, 52 American were taken hostage by a group of Islamist Students and militants who overtook the US Embassy in Iran. The news shocked the nation and Brooke quickly responded,

"The actions of Iran will not be tolerated, but the United States will not be engaging in a game of blackmail with them or any other nation."

With the public crying out for action, Brooke began organizing a rescue mission to save the hostages. When asked by one of his advisors if it failed, he did not hesitate in responding, "You know what the next option will be."

In political news, Democratic candidates slowly began to emerge in forming their bids to challenge Brooke for the presidency. Among them included Ted Kennedy, who many believed would be damaged as a result of the Chapaquidick incident. Other candidates included, Jerry Brown, Mo Udall, and Birch Bayh. The one candidate the party still looked to was Jimmy Carter who has narrowly lost the Presidency to Brooke in '76, but still managed to win the popular vote.

Carter remained mum on the subject when asked, saying, "Politics is secondary now. We need to be focused on seeing the safe return of the hostages." In all polls either Carter led or tied with Kennedy as the frontrunner for the nomination.

Carter toys with running again in '80.

By the end of the November the field looked to be set, with Kennedy, Brown, Bayh and Udall as the prospective candidates. A late entry by Lloyd Bentsen occurred in early December, but most did not anticipate him to go far. As for Jimmy Carter he ultimately bowed out of the race and held off with endorsing Kennedy, citing, "Let's see what happens."

With Carter out of the race, Kennedy looked to wrap up the nomination quickly, and with large embrace by many in the Democratic Party he looked unstoppable. The first poll out of Iowa put him at the head of the pack. Yet, the Iowa Caucuses proved to be a thorn in Kennedy's side and in a surprising defeat he lost the contest to dark horse candidate Lloyd Bentsen.

Iowa:
Bentsen: 40%
Kennedy: 29%
Bayh: 21%
Udall: 7%
Brown: 2%

A triumphant Bentsen headed into New Hampshire.

The Bentsen campaign believed a knockout blow to Kennedy in neighboring Massachusetts state, New Hampshire, they could effectively drive him from the race. Kennedy campaigned heavily in New Hampshire, with Bayh and Udall nipping at his heels. On election night it looked as though Bentsen would sweep the first in the nation primary, but a surprise upset by Kennedy forced Bentsen to reorganize his campaign going forward.

New Hampshire:
Kennedy: 38.7%
Bentsen: 38.0%
Udall: 10.2%
Bayh: 8.8%
Brown: 3.3%

Kennedy, as expected swept Massachusetts, but Bentsen rebounded and carried Vermont. By this point all the candidates, save for Brown ended their bid and either endorsed Bentsen or Kennedy for the nomination. Heading into the south, Bentsen was poised for victory, while Kennedy planned to hold out until the Illinois Primary. By the time of South Carolina, Jimmy Carter broke his silence and endorsed Bentsen for the nomination, allowing him to sweep all the southern contests handily over Kennedy.

The focus shifted to Illinois where Kennedy hoped to rebound. As he began to gain traction in the state Bentsen's surrogates attacked Kennedy for the Chappaquidick incident and one supporter called him, only slightly different from President Brooke, "At least with Brooke no one died." The campaign turned ugly in the state and both men appeared to be dead even as voting day approached. In a close, but decisive victory, Bentsen defeated Kennedy.

Illinois:
Bentsen: 48%
Kennedy: 44%
Brown: 7%

Though Bentsen's won in Illinois, Kennedy did manage to eek out a narrow in Connecticut, but by this tim party elders were calling on the senator to concede to Bentsen who's delegate count outpaced Kennedy's. Kennedy persisted and remained through the month of April, losing every contest to Bentsen. Following a loss of 56%-41% in Pennsylvania, Kennedy decided against challenging Bentsen in the upcoming contest which was his home state of Texas.

Kennedy ended his bid on April 23rd and endorsed Bentsen for President.

Kennedy concedes to Bentsen. He carried only three states: New Hampshire, Massachusetts and Connecticut
Indy Prez
United Kingdom

« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2012, 02:56:34 PM »

Our first black president will be taken down by Waltergate* i'm guessing?

affair with Barbara Walters
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2012, 03:22:58 PM »

Our first black president will be taken down by Waltergate* i'm guessing?

affair with Barbara Walters
That is an absolutely awful pun.
You win, sir.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2012, 04:57:15 PM »

Ted, Ted, Ted. Ted, Ted, Ted, Ted!!
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2012, 06:41:04 PM »
« Edited: March 05, 2012, 07:55:49 PM by NHI »

Bentsen, considered the presumptive nominee still had to face Brown who had yet to concede.

Following Kennedy's withdrawal from the race Bentsen still needed to dispatch Brown who remained in the race. Brown vowed to stay in the race until the very end, but following a series of defeats, Brown conceded the election, but did not offer an endorsement of Bentsen. With Bentsen now the presumptive nominee the focus shifted to the Vice Presidential selection, which included Ted Kennedy, Michael Dukakis, Mo Udall and Walter Mondale.

The selection was finally announced to be Ted Kennedy, which was seen as a way of bridging the two wings of the party: The Conservative and liberal win. With the ticket set, the focus shifted to the general election against Brooke.

The Presidency of Edward Brooke:
The hostage situation in Iran had lingered on into the early months of 1980, as the rescue mission was planned. With Brooke dismissing the demands of Iran, he ordered a rescue mission in April of 1980, which Brooke saw as an opening to save the hostages. With the American people distraught over the hostage taking, they saw Brooke as failing to show leadership on the matter.

The mission Operation Eagle Claw took place in April of 1980 and after a near miss, all 52 of the hostages were rescued and returned home safely. The successful mission saw a huge uptick in Brooke's approval rating. Prior to the rescue his approval stood at 39%, but following it his approval jumped to an astounding 61%.  

The pundits declared this a major victory for the Brooke campaign going into his reelection.
"This doesn't erase his affair, because that will hurt him, but this shows real leadership, it shows him strong as a commander in chief, and that is something Bentsen can't run on. If the rescue mission failed he'd go down in defeat."

However, the rescue mission did not deter Bentsen who was seen as the Democrat's hope of taking back the White House after twelve years of Republican rule. Rather than attack Brooke on his infidelity, which many Democrats felt was the perfect mode of attack, Bentsen instead focused on the ideological difference between the two, mostly on the size and scope of government.

"He has served this nation well, and I am grateful he made the decision to order that mission, but that does not erase what is going in this country. The poor have suffered greatly under his leadership, the middle class has been weakened due to the shrinking of wages. It's time for a return of government that works." -- Bentsen

"The fact is this, Brooke is more liberal republican, but the Republican party has been taken over in a coup d' etat by those like his Vice President and the likes of Goldwater who have seen the need to push the Republican brand further and further into the right! Well in November, let's push them over the edge and get back to basics. Fairness, justice and economic opportunity and equality." -- Kennedy

Though the rescue of the hostages was seen as a win for Brooke, his infidelity continued to dog him as he campaigned for reelection. Tabloid papers surfaced, running the rumor mill wild; Brooke largely ignored the charges and focused on his campaign. As the election neared most pundits declared that while he had scored a major accomplishment with the hostage crisis, his infidelity hurt his credibility, and in the fall of 1980, after relative stability with the economy, cracks began to appear in the armor, as unemployment saw an uptick.

The recession of the late seventies had subsided, but many economist argued that the solutions were only bandaids and that it was only a matter of time before the economy crashed again. As the economy started to weaken, Bentsen seized the momentum and tried to frame his argument around Brooke. While Bentsen never attacked Brooke on his infidelity, Democratic surrogates sure did and he was felt the effect as Election day approached.

"This election is going to be a coin toss. It could go either way." -- Vice Pres. Ronald Reagan
"I think the momentum is with us, and I do believe we'll win on Tuesday." -- Ted Kennedy

By election day the polls showed a dead heat. Following the rescue of the hostage, Brooke led Bentsen by a range of four to five points depending on the poll, but when the Rescue Mission Bump wore off and Brooke's approval ratings came back down to Earth, Bentsen managed to close the gap.

Bentsen v. Brooke:
Bentsen: 48%
Brooke: 48%

"Good Evening and welcome to Election Night 1980, the campaign for the Presidency between Democrat Lloyd Bentsen and President Edward Brooke. We have our first projection make in the race and it is in the state of Kentucky and we project that Sen. Bentsen has carried the state."

Kentucky:
Bentsen: 56.6%
Brooke: 42.7%

Bentsen: 9
Brooke: 0

"We can also project that Pres. Brooke has carried Vermont. The state of Georgia is too close to call. at this time."

Vermont:
Brooke: 52.2%
Bentsen: 46.0%

Georgia:
Bentsen: 50.2%
Brooke: 49.2%

Bentsen: 9
Brooke: 3
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2012, 07:46:13 PM »

Bentsen!
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2012, 07:48:32 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Tongue

NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2012, 07:56:32 PM »

Oops. "Georgia is to close to call at this time." Thanks for catching it.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2012, 09:29:58 PM »

Bentsen: 31
Brooke: 19

"We do have a big projection to make in the state of Massachusetts. It will go for Senator Bentsen. No doubt Senator's Kennedy' presence on the ticket helped, and looking at the numbers it is no contest between Bentsen and Brooke.

Massachusetts:
Bentsen: 54.0%
Brooke: 44.9%

Bentsen: 45
Brooke: 19

"That brings Sen. Bentsen's total to 45 delegates, to the President's 19. An early lead for the senator, but there are many states undeclared at this time. It is a tight race in Tennessee, Georgia and North Carolina."

"It'll be interesting to see how Sen. Bentsen does in the south. Jimmy Carter swept it last time, including Texas. Bentsen has taken Kentucky and is doing well in Virginia, a relatively reliable Republican state, but it did vote for Carter in '76."

"We can now project that Connecticut has been won by Sen. Bentsen."

Connecticut:
Bentsen: 52.9%
Brooke: 46.3%

Bentsen: 125
Brooke: 39

"...We project that Sen. Bentsen has carried the state of New Hampshire. This marks the first time the Granite State has gone fora Democrat, since 1964."

"Lyndon Johnson's landslide. So far the President has carried two states that he lost badly in 1976, although he is not walking away with it. Tennessee is still undecided, as is Louisiana, Arkansas and Ohio."

"We are calling that Sen. Bentsen has won the state of Arkansas."

Arkansas:
Bentsen: 53.0%
Brooke: 45.9%

Bentsen: 131
Brooke: 39

Brooke is behind by over a hundred delegates. Now four years ago similar events happened and he still managed to win the presidency, though tonight there is a different feeling in the country."

"People, I think are tired of the Republican lock, certainly the infidelity has to be hurting, and largely that issue has not been addressed in the campaign, but it still was there and I think people haven't forgot it. Now couple that with a weakening economy and you've got a Bentsen surge."

"Tonight could very well where the polls are dead wrong. Four years ago it was a toss up race and then Sen. Brooke beat Governor Carter, this time the polls show the two men essentially tied, but the momentum seems to be on Bentsen's side. Now there are many more states left and certainly the west will be friendlier to him, but we cannot dismiss the fact that he lost his home state."

"Yes, now Sen. Kennedy is on the ticket, so that has helped with that, but it still is begs the questions, if he can't win his home state, can he win at all?"

"We do have some breaking news, we can now project that Pres. Brooke has carried the state of New Jersey. Certainly a needed win for the President tonight."

New Jersey:
Brooke: 50.7%
Bentsen: 47.9%

Bentsen: 131
Brooke: 56
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2012, 08:05:47 AM »

Bentsen: 183
Brooke: 75

"Here stands the electoral map at this hour. We just projected that Sen. Bentsen won the state of Florida and that President Brooke is the winner in North Carolina. That now brings the Senator's electoral vote to 183, and the President's to 75 electoral votes."

"The jury is still out on Mississippi, Alabama and Tennessee now. Virginia looks to be returning to the Republican column, as the President is holding onto a small lead there, but it is still too close to call. Now in contrast to four years ago Bentsen has lost three states that Carter won handily, but has picked up his picked up four states that Carter lost to Brooke."

"New Hampshire and Michigan are impressive wins for the Senator as this election night moves along. The only state that was close last time and this time is New Jersey and Pres. Brooke has held onto it again."

"We can now project that Pres. Brooke is the winner in Alabama.

Alabama:
Brooke: 49.8%
Bentsen: 48.2%

Bentsen: 183
Brooke:

"Nowhere near the margins of Carter last time, but it is impressive that Brooke is able to carry these southern states tonight."

"Perhaps we have spoken prematurely. We can now project that Sen. Bentsen is the winner in Louisiana."

Louisiana:
Bentsen: 50.5%
Brooke: 48.3%

Bentsen: 193
Brooke: 84

"Continuing with that trend we can now project that Sen. Bentsen is the winner in more states at this time. We project him the winner in Missouri, Wisconsin and Tennessee."

Bentsen: 226

"Bentsen is now well over the two-hundred mark and is quickly approaching the number needed to become President."

"I can't help but think about what happened four years, Carter was ahead of Brooke by a large margin, but with the help of states in the west managed to close the deal. I don't get that sense tonight."

"No and the reason is the because of the states Bentsen has already carried and ones he looks likely to carry, likely Ohio. No Republican has won the White House without Ohio, save for 1960, when Pres. Nixon, then Vice President lost to Kennedy, despite winning Ohio."

"The numbers in that state are close, but Bentsen's lead is holding and it looks at if Brooke's numbers have stalled."

Ohio:
Bentsen: 50.9%
Brooke: 47.7%

"Before we go to break we do have another projection to make. By our estimations we project that Sen. Bentsen has won the state of Ohio. Repeat, we project that Sen. Bentsen has won the state of Ohio."

Bentsen: 251
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2012, 10:52:48 AM »
« Edited: March 12, 2012, 01:18:14 PM by NHI »

"We project that Mississippi will return to its Republican roots and vote for Pres. Brooke tonight, bring the President' total now to ninety one electoral votes."

Mississippi:
Brooke: 49.7%
Bentsen: 49.2%

Bentsen: 251
Brooke: 91

"That is a sweep of the deep south, save for Florida that has gone for Sen. Bentsen."

"Interestingly though, Sen. Bentsen did not spend much time campaigning in those states. Jimmy Carter won them relatively easily in 1976, and most polls showed a stiff race between Bentsen, and he chose to concentrate on the key states, Michigan, Ohio, Wisconsin, all states lost by Carter last time. He even played in New Hampshire and won there."

"He also invested some time in the mid and southwest, particularly in New Mexico, Kansas and Oklahoma, so it will be interesting to see how he performs there."

"He is leading, narrowly over Brooke. Jimmy Carter nearly took this state four years ago, so it'll be interesting to see if he takes it tonight."

Oklahoma:
Bentsen: 49.8%
Brooke: 49.7%

Kansas:
Bentsen: 49.77%
Brooke: 49.70%

Illinois:
Bentsen: 50.4%
Brooke: 48.1%

"And it appears we have another projection to make, we project that Sen. Bentsen has carried his home state of Texas. Now by our calculations that puts Mr. Bentsen over the finished line and has been been elected President of the United States."

Texas:
Bentsen: 58.1%
Brooke: 40.6%

Bentsen Elected!

Bentsen: 277
Brooke: 91

"Adding to that projection we can now call that Sen. Bentsen in the winner in Illinois, New Mexico and Iowa."

New Mexico:
Bensten: 51.0%
Brooke: 47.6%

Illinois:
Bentsen: 51.6%
Brooke: 46.9%

Iowa:
Bentsen: 53.9%
Brooke: 45.0%

"What was thought and frankly expected to be a close race is turning into quite the victory for Sen. Bentsen tonight."

Bentsen: 315
Brooke: 94

"We can project that Pres. Brooke has won the state of Wyoming, which as expected, wasn't even contested."

"Back now with more projections. Virginia is still undecided, but is leaning towards Mr. Brooke at this hour. Though as we went to break we projected that Sen. Bentsen, now President-elect Bentsen is the winner in Oklahoma, Kansas, Montana, and Colorado."

Bentsen: 341
Brooke: 94

"Looking at the map, there is a lot more red than four years ago. Sen. Bentsen is doing well in the west, states typically favored for Republicans, but with wins in Montana, Colorado, Oklahoma and Kansas, it is clear that Bentsen is changing the scope of the electoral map."

"Now a state we projected earlier in the evening, New Jersey, for Pres. Brooke has now been moved back into the undecided column, as has North Carolina. There has been a great shift in the popular vote in those states and we now feel that those states are too close to call."

Bentsen: 341
Brooke: 64

New Jersey:
Brooke: 49.88%
Bentsen: 49.74%

North Carolina:
Bentsen: 49.67%
Brooke: 49.59%

"Here stands the electoral count at this hour. Sen. Bentsen has carried Nevada and Arizona, two old Republican strongholds. He is also the winner in North Dakota, a surprising victory for the Senator tonight as well."

Bentsen: 357
Brooke: 72

"I don't think anyone quite expected this victory."

"We can project Pres. Brooke the winner in California, a state that for a while we thought my go for Sen. Bentsen, but Mr. Reagan's home state remains Republican again.

California:
Brooke: 50.9%
Bentsen: 47.5%

Bentsen: 357
Brooke: 117

"We can now project that Sen. Bentsen has won the state of Washington."

Washington:
Bentsen: 51.0%
Brooke: 47.9%

Bentsen: 366

"Sen. Bentsen has gone wellover the needed number of delegates to become President and yet there are still some more states that may trend his way, Oregon, South Dakota, North Carolina and it looks like Virginia too."

"We project that that South Dakota has been won by Sen. Bentsen."

South Dakota:
Bentsen: 50.1%
Brooke: 49.1%

Bentsen: 370

November 5th, 1980

Bentsen Elected President; Defeats Brooke in a landside

Bentsen: 412 (54.9%)
Brooke: 126 44.0%
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2012, 11:54:06 AM »

"We can project Pres. Bentsen the winner in California, a state that for a while we thought my go for Sen. Bentsen, but Mr. Reagan's home state remains Republican again.
Pres. Brooke.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2012, 12:20:31 PM »

Awesome map. Let's see the cabinet!
Pingvin
Pingvin99
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2012, 12:32:05 PM »

NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2012, 01:01:50 PM »

The Cabinet:

Pres. Lloyd Bentsen
Vice Pres. Ted Kennedy

Sec. of State: Edmund Muskie
Sec. of Treasury: Birch Bayh
Sec. of Defense: Harold Brown
Attorney General: Walter Mondale
Sec. of Interior: Cecil D. Andrus
Sec. of Agriculture: Jimmy Carter
Sec. of Commerce: G. Edward Miller
Sec. of Labor: Ray Marshall
Sec. of Health, Education, Welfare: Shirley Chisholm
Sec. of Housing and Urban Development: Walter E. Fauntroy
Sec. of Transportation: Brock Adams

Forthcoming: The Presidency of Lloyd Bentsen
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2012, 01:29:45 PM »

what a beautiful map! And a wonderful cabinet, too!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies