Has this Republican primary season been entertaining, embarrassing, or both?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:24:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Has this Republican primary season been entertaining, embarrassing, or both?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Has this Republican primary season been entertaining, embarrassing, or both?
Entertaining (D)

Embarrassing (D)

Both (D)

Entertaining (R)

Embarrassing (R)

Both (R)

Entertaining (I)

Embarrassing (I)

Both (I)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 58

Author Topic: Has this Republican primary season been entertaining, embarrassing, or both?  (Read 1567 times)
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2012, 01:40:22 PM »

Embarassing (I).  In just one year, they've gone from newly-principled fiscal conservatives to an even more radicalized and bigoted version of the Bush era GOP.  I've never had such a negative visceral reaction to the word "conservative" in my life as I do today.  Forget the GOP brand, the entire conservative brand is in shambles with this endless culture war.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2012, 01:42:14 PM »

Did you feel the same way in 08 Glob?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2012, 03:09:53 PM »

why should any of us be embarrassed?  except perhaps for the bourgeois Republicans like Torie who fantasize they have a stake in the game.
I'm JewCon in name only.
Klecly
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.61, S: 6.52

« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2012, 03:22:41 PM »

Embarrassing.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2012, 03:51:25 PM »

why should any of us be embarrassed?  except perhaps for the bourgeois Republicans like Torie who fantasize they have a stake in the game.
This. Republican primary is not embarrassing, but the party is an embarrassment to US.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2012, 04:06:38 PM »

One word: uzbekibekibekistan.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2012, 04:08:29 PM »

Both is leading for all three categories of voter. This is just a sh**tty field, but what I had feared would be a coronation for Mitt was made exciting by Santorum's media-fueled surge in Iowa andthe subsequent momentum.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2012, 04:48:19 PM »

Obama's negatives never went through the roof like Romney's. Even Clinton's unfavorable spike was modest compared to Romney.

The Dem primary was civil compared to this charade.

What are Romney's negatives.

Please, this isn't any worse than 2008.

It isn't worse than 2008 if you're in denial, I suppose. It's on par with 1996.

Romney suffers a net -13 in his favorables.
http://polltracker.talkingpointsmemo.com/contest/us-favorability-romney

Compared to Obama of around the same time:
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/obama_favorableunfavorable-643.html#polls
+7

Tidewater_Wave
United States

« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2012, 04:57:37 PM »

It's been a great opportunity to become motivated as a conservative and think about what it means to be an American living in a free society. I've enjoyed listening to our candidates debate and discuss the issues facing us and look forward to exchanges to come.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2012, 05:04:45 PM »

No.  The Tea Party has emboldened some of the worst elements who reside under the GOP umbrella.  I've always had a problem with GOP nastiness, but it's at a whole new level unseen in recent decades.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2012, 05:06:47 PM »

It's been a great opportunity to become motivated as a conservative and think about what it means to be an American living in a free society. I've enjoyed listening to our candidates debate and discuss the issues facing us and look forward to exchanges to come.

I would agree, if they were even remotely talking about such things.  They're not talking about what it's like to be an American living in a free society, they're talking about what it's like to be a disaffected hillbilly living in a modern, global society.
Tidewater_Wave
United States

« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2012, 05:07:55 PM »

No.  The Tea Party has emboldened some of the worst elements who reside under the GOP umbrella.  I've always had a problem with GOP nastiness, but it's at a whole new level unseen in recent decades.

Can you please describe in depth detail which elements you're talking about and which level of unseen nastiness you refer to? What makes them so nasty? Is it because they prefer freedom over dependency on the government? Answers and not rhetoric please.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2012, 05:10:51 PM »

Obama's negatives never went through the roof like Romney's. Even Clinton's unfavorable spike was modest compared to Romney.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/obama_favorableunfavorable-643.html#polls
+7

You had McCain going up when the D race was going on in 2008. Right now, you are comparing Romney to President Obama, not candidate Obama in 2008.  

I doubt that this even close to what it was in 1976.
Tidewater_Wave
United States

« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2012, 05:12:51 PM »

I agree J.J. Obama's surroundings are much less favorable than in 2008. He's not a new kid running for president who has anything working in his favor due to a 25% approval rating for Bush. He's now the president and must answer for things like gas prices and unemployment.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2012, 06:01:58 PM »

+7

You had McCain going up when the D race was going on in 2008. Right now, you are comparing Romney to President Obama, not candidate Obama in 2008.  

I doubt that this even close to what it was in 1976.

Oops, my bad.

http://www.pollingreport.com/obama_fav.htm

Scroll down and you'll find those 2008 numbers. He was boosting +25~30 around this time; even better. Smiley

Obama kept his favorables up against a long and drawn out primary fight with Clinton. He wasn't positive 100% of the time, and he wasn't gaffe free either, but he was able to keep his favorables up. Romney's have tanked and have stayed down. This is not 2008. You evidently are hoping that this primary will produce a stronger candidate in Romney like the long primary did in Obama, but Romney is getting bruised.

Funny how you call Obama's approvals (which are in the MoE and are roughly tied on the whole), as pretty "grim." But Romney's bloody primary fight sinking his favorables? Obviously making him stronger. Wink
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2012, 06:12:25 PM »
« Edited: March 02, 2012, 06:14:53 PM by Nagas »

I agree J.J. Obama's surroundings are much less favorable than in 2008. He's not a new kid running for president who has anything working in his favor due to a 25% approval rating for Bush. He's now the president and must answer for things like gas prices and unemployment.

Gas prices are based on the price of a barrel of oil which is determined on the international market. Even if Obama significantly ramped up domestic production it wouldn't make a drop in the bucket. Unless you're proposing withdrawing from the international market and producing our own gasoline entirely priced on an internal market, which would make the supply shortages of 1973 seem like happy days.

UE is trending down, the job market has been producing in excess of 150k a month, and GDP growth for the last quarter was 3%, which is considered historically to be a strong average.

He'll answer for those all right.
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2012, 06:14:03 PM »

Can you please describe in depth detail which elements you're talking about and which level of unseen nastiness you refer to? What makes them so nasty? Is it because they prefer freedom over dependency on the government? Answers and not rhetoric please.

Rest assured citizen, the free market and corporations will provide everything you need at a fair price.
ajb
United States

« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2012, 06:16:41 PM »

Some historical perspective of favorability ratings for primary candidates after New Hampshire:

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/01/14/romney-obama-no-popularity-contest/

Romney was already strikingly unpopular then, compared to other candidates this century, and his ratings have declined since.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2012, 06:29:49 PM »

Oops, my bad.

Scroll down and you'll find those 2008 numbers. He was boosting +25~30 around this time; even better. Smiley

Obama kept his favorables up against a long and drawn out primary fight with Clinton. He wasn't positive 100% of the time, and he wasn't gaffe free either, but he was able to keep his favorables up. Romney's have tanked and have stayed down. This is not 2008. You evidently are hoping that this primary will produce a stronger candidate in Romney like the long primary did in Obama, but Romney is getting bruised.

Funny how you call Obama's approvals (which are in the MoE and are roughly tied on the whole), as pretty "grim." But Romney's bloody primary fight sinking his favorables? Obviously making him stronger. Wink

Obama's unfavorables went up.  The earlier increase in favorables was basically getting exposier.  And yes, for an incumbent president, Obama's numbers are starting to get grim.
ajb
United States

« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2012, 06:40:09 PM »

Has any challenger ever defeated an incumbent when the challenger had a 32% approval rating?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/07/28/fav-romney_n_725770.html
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2012, 06:56:09 PM »

Warfare on social issues.  Thinly veiled hatred of the "others" - gays, Muslims, women who use birth control, etc.  In the past, I've seen GOP positions as being adverse to certain groups of Americans, and perhaps a bit hostile to those same people.  This year, however, it's gone to a whole new level of aggrieved-white-person-centrism and hostility to anyone who isn't living in a working-class nuclear family with a cross hung over their bed and a Bible in their nightstand.

I know you're new here, but if you'd have read other of my posts, you'd know I'm one of the last people in the world to advocate against freedom or for dependency on the government.  I'm a long-time libertarian/minarchist/anarcho-capitalist.  I loathe Obama, his administration, and the acts he's taken to do what I consider to be great harm to this country.  But that doesn't mean that these GOP schlubs are the answer.  (Ron Paul probably is, and his lack of traction is just further evidence of the problem with the GOP base.)
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2012, 06:59:35 PM »

I've always had a problem with GOP nastiness, but it's at a whole new level unseen in recent decades.

Hilarious coming from someone who thinks people who "suck at life" should "drown".
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2012, 07:01:34 PM »

Oops, my bad.

Obama's unfavorables went up.  The earlier increase in favorables was basically getting exposier.  And yes, for an incumbent president, Obama's numbers are starting to get grim.

Yeah, they went up after he had been serving in the office. Take a close look at that chart. You want to look for the dates that end in 07/08. You'll notice that despite the long campaign, they stayed relatively stable and did not plummet like Romney's.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2012, 07:05:33 PM »

You're the one who's using rhetoric, idiot.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies