Romney has money woes
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:17:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Romney has money woes
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Romney has money woes  (Read 572 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 02, 2012, 07:09:53 AM »

Reporting from Washington

After locking up much of the Republican establishment's heavyweight fundraisers, Mitt Romney is going after the little guy.

"Donate $3 today to be automatically entered to be Mitt's special guest for Election Night on Super Tuesday," reads an email appeal from the Romney campaign to supporters. A dramatic new Web video asks for $20 contributions to fight the "Obama Attack Machine."

The GOP presidential candidate made a similar solicitation after clinching the Michigan primary Tuesday, with a rare personal plea for people to visit his website and "pledge your support — in every way possible."

The pitch reflects a challenge for Romney, one of the wealthiest candidates ever to run for president: He so far has been unable to build a broad base of small donors who can inject fresh cash into his campaign. The need to do so has grown more acute as he heads into next week's Super Tuesday, with contests in 10 states, and subsequent battles in the fight for the GOP nomination.

Though he has outstripped his Republican rivals in fundraising, he also is burning through cash. Romney spent money nearly three times faster than he raised it in January, leaving him with $7.7 million. Since then, his campaign has shelled out at least $2.7 million for television advertising alone, according to sources familiar with the ad buys.

Romney, who put more than $40 million of his own money into his 2008 White House bid, has not yet pulled out his checkbook this year. Campaign officials declined to say whether he was considering doing so.

So far, the former Massachusetts governor has relied on a network of wealthy contributors to finance his run. Just 9% of the nearly $63 million Romney raised through the end of January came from supporters who gave $200 or less, according to an analysis by the nonpartisan Campaign Finance Institute. In contrast, almost half the money given to his GOP rivals Rick Santorum and Newt Gingrich, as well as President Obama, came from small donors.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-romney-fundraising-20120302,0,718668.story

Great picture, btw ... Tongue
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 08:25:37 AM »

They've been doing that type of thing for a month.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 10:40:30 AM »
« Edited: March 02, 2012, 11:08:58 AM by Stranger in a strange land »

Didn't the Koch brothers pledge $60 million to defeat Obama? Why can't they just dump it into Romney's SuperPAC? While he's clearly not their ideal candidate, it seems like they'd prefer him to Santorum.
Volrath50
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: -5.57

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 01:08:15 PM »

I guess blowing all his money to nuke Gringrich from orbit in Florida is beginning to cost him.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 01:17:58 PM »

That picture is incredible.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 03:04:40 PM »

I'd like to have Mitt Romney's money woes.  I think I would commission some artwork, buy a car and a cutting-edge desktop computer, maybe even one of those evil smartphones.  then work on the trophy wife and LDS conversion.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 03:09:33 PM »

I'd like to have Mitt Romney's money woes.  I think I would commission some artwork, buy a car and a cutting-edge desktop computer, maybe even one of those evil smartphones.  then work on the trophy wife and LDS conversion.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies