Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 30, 2014, 08:44:03 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Atlas Hardware Upgrade complete October 13, 2013.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  Individual Politics (Moderators: Grad Students are the Worst, Torie, Sheriff Buford TX Justice)
| | |-+  Common Law, Civil Law or Shariah Law? Or an alternative system?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Poll
Question: Which?
Common law   -13 (44.8%)
Civil law   -7 (24.1%)
Shariah law   -4 (13.8%)
Alternative system   -5 (17.2%)
Show Pie Chart
Total Voters: 29

Author Topic: Common Law, Civil Law or Shariah Law? Or an alternative system?  (Read 582 times)
So rightwing that I broke the Political Compass!
Rockingham
YaBB God

View Profile
« on: March 02, 2012, 11:49:12 am »
Ignore

These are the three dominant judicial systems of the modern world. Which do you prefer? Or do you find an alternative judicial system preferable?

Personally I'm leaning towards civil law for two reasons:
1)Some states(Egypt and Iraq) have abandoned common law for civil law, whereas no countries have abandoned civil law for common law.
2)Non-Western countries that escaped European colonialism(Japan, China, Korea and Thailand) all chose to adopt civil law rather then common law(despite Britain+America having been the most prominent Westerners to these countries). The exception being those Islamic countries which sustained Sharia law.
I'm JewCon in name only.
Klecly
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.61, S: 6.52

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 07:23:28 pm »
Ignore

Common Law.

Goldwater
Republitarian
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 07:39:20 pm »
Ignore

Who voted for Shariah law?!

wormyguy
YaBB God
Liechtenstein

Political Matrix
E: 4.52, S: -1.57

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 10:22:15 pm »
Ignore

Of the three, common law (since it's the only one to acknowledge the concept of individual rights), but an "alternative system" obviously.
Napoleon
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 02:54:02 am »
Ignore

As you can tell from my avatar, I prefer Shariah Law. Roll Eyes

When I was in the third grade, I thought that I was Jewish
Because I could count, my nose was big, and I kept my bank account fullish
I told my mom, tears blurring my vision
He said, "Mort, you've loved God since before circumcision"
asexual trans victimologist
Nathan
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 04:00:10 am »
Ignore

Alternative system. Start with a civil code and then let common law principles of flow and case law and precedent take over from there. I'm also interested in certain types of customary law, but only in the societies in which they are, well, customary.

The idea that Obama supports Sharia law or anything resembling it is patently ridiculous.

A shameless agrarian collectivist with no respect for private property or individual rights.

His idea of freedom is - it is a bad thing and should be stopped at all costs.

Nathan-land.  As much fun as watching paint dry... literally.
Gustaf
Moderators
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 08:15:20 am »
Ignore

These are the three dominant judicial systems of the modern world. Which do you prefer? Or do you find an alternative judicial system preferable?

Personally I'm leaning towards civil law for two reasons:
1)Some states(Egypt and Iraq) have abandoned common law for civil law, whereas no countries have abandoned civil law for common law.
2)Non-Western countries that escaped European colonialism(Japan, China, Korea and Thailand) all chose to adopt civil law rather then common law(despite Britain+America having been the most prominent Westerners to these countries). The exception being those Islamic countries which sustained Sharia law.

Are Egypt and Iraq models to follow? And might not this move have to do with anti-British sentiment following liberalization rather than anything else?

As for the second point, I think there are specific reasons here. East Asia was generally quite influenced by Germany when it comes to legal systems, as I recall.

There is a fair bit of empirical research indicating that common law countries perform better economically and democratically, but of course such research always carries with it a lot of potential biases that might be hard to disentangle.

This place really has become a cesspool of degenerate whores...

Economic score: +0.9
Social score: -2.61

In MN for fantasy stuff, member of the most recently dissolved centrist party.
So rightwing that I broke the Political Compass!
Rockingham
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 10:43:10 pm »
Ignore

Are Egypt and Iraq models to follow? And might not this move have to do with anti-British sentiment following liberalization rather than anything else?
Then why didn't countries that escaped French/Portuguese/Dutch control abandon common law out of anti-French/Portuguese/Dutch sentiment?
Gustaf
Moderators
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 06:30:59 pm »
Ignore

Then why didn't countries that escaped French/Portuguese/Dutch control abandon common law out of anti-French/Portuguese/Dutch sentiment?

Maybe the momentum for it wasn't there? You have 2 data points, there are obviously a myriad of reasons going in to it.

Also, it seems like it must be harder to just chuck in common law, since it's typically developed organically.

This place really has become a cesspool of degenerate whores...

Economic score: +0.9
Social score: -2.61

In MN for fantasy stuff, member of the most recently dissolved centrist party.
The Mikado
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 09:22:14 pm »
Ignore

Napoleonic Code Tongue

Einzige is a poltroon who cowardly turns down duel challenges he should be honor-bound to accept. The Code Duello authorizes you to mock and belittle such a pathetic honorless scoundrel.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout