Common Law, Civil Law or Shariah Law? Or an alternative system?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:45:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Common Law, Civil Law or Shariah Law? Or an alternative system?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which?
Common law

Civil law

Shariah law

Alternative system

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 29

Author Topic: Common Law, Civil Law or Shariah Law? Or an alternative system?  (Read 1128 times)
So rightwing that I broke the Political Compass!
Rockingham

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 02, 2012, 11:49:12 AM »

These are the three dominant judicial systems of the modern world. Which do you prefer? Or do you find an alternative judicial system preferable?

Personally I'm leaning towards civil law for two reasons:
1)Some states(Egypt and Iraq) have abandoned common law for civil law, whereas no countries have abandoned civil law for common law.
2)Non-Western countries that escaped European colonialism(Japan, China, Korea and Thailand) all chose to adopt civil law rather then common law(despite Britain+America having been the most prominent Westerners to these countries). The exception being those Islamic countries which sustained Sharia law.
I'm JewCon in name only.
Klecly
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.61, S: 6.52

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 07:23:28 PM »

Common Law.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 07:39:20 PM »

Who voted for Shariah law?!
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 10:22:15 PM »

Of the three, common law (since it's the only one to acknowledge the concept of individual rights), but an "alternative system" obviously.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 02:54:02 AM »

As you can tell from my avatar, I prefer Shariah Law. Roll Eyes
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 04:00:10 AM »

Alternative system. Start with a civil code and then let common law principles of flow and case law and precedent take over from there. I'm also interested in certain types of customary law, but only in the societies in which they are, well, customary.

The idea that Obama supports Sharia law or anything resembling it is patently ridiculous.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 08:15:20 AM »

These are the three dominant judicial systems of the modern world. Which do you prefer? Or do you find an alternative judicial system preferable?

Personally I'm leaning towards civil law for two reasons:
1)Some states(Egypt and Iraq) have abandoned common law for civil law, whereas no countries have abandoned civil law for common law.
2)Non-Western countries that escaped European colonialism(Japan, China, Korea and Thailand) all chose to adopt civil law rather then common law(despite Britain+America having been the most prominent Westerners to these countries). The exception being those Islamic countries which sustained Sharia law.

Are Egypt and Iraq models to follow? And might not this move have to do with anti-British sentiment following liberalization rather than anything else?

As for the second point, I think there are specific reasons here. East Asia was generally quite influenced by Germany when it comes to legal systems, as I recall.

There is a fair bit of empirical research indicating that common law countries perform better economically and democratically, but of course such research always carries with it a lot of potential biases that might be hard to disentangle.
So rightwing that I broke the Political Compass!
Rockingham

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 10:43:10 PM »

Are Egypt and Iraq models to follow? And might not this move have to do with anti-British sentiment following liberalization rather than anything else?
Then why didn't countries that escaped French/Portuguese/Dutch control abandon common law out of anti-French/Portuguese/Dutch sentiment?
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 06:30:59 PM »

Then why didn't countries that escaped French/Portuguese/Dutch control abandon common law out of anti-French/Portuguese/Dutch sentiment?

Maybe the momentum for it wasn't there? You have 2 data points, there are obviously a myriad of reasons going in to it.

Also, it seems like it must be harder to just chuck in common law, since it's typically developed organically.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 09:22:14 PM »

Napoleonic Code Tongue
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies