Santorum could be ineligible for 18 Ohio delegates
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 01:22:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Santorum could be ineligible for 18 Ohio delegates
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Santorum could be ineligible for 18 Ohio delegates  (Read 1937 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 03, 2012, 11:15:56 AM »
« edited: March 03, 2012, 11:21:27 AM by Torie »

First it was 3 CD's in Ohio that Santorum failed to file a list of delegates, and now it is apparently 9 CD's (out of a total of 16 CD's), which if true means Rick is potentially out of the hunt for 18 delegates in Ohio.

Of further interest, per the article, it is unclear what will happen if Rick wins a CD where he has filed no slate of delegates. The 2 delegates assigned to that CD are apparently awarded to no one in that case, yet Ohio is still entitled to send the same number of delegates to the convention, so they will need to be chosen somehow, by some unspecified mechanism. So there will be a contretemps about that. One Rick will certainly win OH-06 where he has no delegates filed, so one can expect this issue to actual become in play.

The article does not list the 9 CD's Rick failed to file a slate in, so we don't know the identity of the additional 6 CD's where Rick dropped the ball.

Addendum: Green Papers says 3 delegates are awarded per Ohio CD rather than 2, by the way. So it may be 27 delegates in play here, rather than 18.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 11:26:54 AM »

So what happens if Santorum wins a district where he doesn't have a slate of delegates filed? Do they send uncommitted delegates to the convention? Does the OH-GOP pack the uncommitted slates with Romney supporters? Do they just send no delegates? Does whoever comes in 2nd get the delegates?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 11:29:57 AM »
« Edited: March 03, 2012, 11:36:49 AM by Torie »

Here is a much better explanation. In six CD's, Rick filed only a partial slate, so that explains the number discrepancy.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Rick failed to file any delegates per previous reports in OH-06, 09, and 13.  OH-06 should be Rick's strongest CD, and OH-04 may be his second strongest CD. He should do better in OH-10 than in the state as a whole.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 11:38:11 AM »

So what happens if Santorum wins a district where he doesn't have a slate of delegates filed? Do they send uncommitted delegates to the convention? Does the OH-GOP pack the uncommitted slates with Romney supporters? Do they just send no delegates? Does whoever comes in 2nd get the delegates?

Click the link in my post above, and it explains the process. The short answer is that nobody knows. There will be a committee vote on the matter, presumably wired by Mittens, but who knows?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 11:47:09 AM »

I believe the campaign, through the state committee, could appoint under Article X, Section 5.  http://www.scribd.com/doc/30460103/Ohio-Republican-Party-State-Central-Committee-Bylaws
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 11:52:13 AM »

This is not the only state where this problem exists for Rick - Illinois is another.  So is Tennessee, but you can appoint later there, so not as big of a problem.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 12:06:49 PM »

Yes, because Americans want a President who is so incompetent and disorganized that he can't even handle filing delegate slates for a primary election, let alone dealing with the weighty matters of the Presidency.
Earthling
Netherlands

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 12:10:24 PM »

No, they really want someone who knows the right height of the trees in Michigan.

Both Romney and Santorum are jokes at this point. Romney was the most serious candidate in the field. Now it is Ron Paul. And that is not because Paul changed.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2012, 12:10:42 PM »

Yes, because Americans want a President who is so incompetent and disorganized that he can't even handle filing delegate slates for a primary election, let alone dealing with the weighty matters of the Presidency.

I'm sure they prefer a president who is unable to shake off a challenge by such an incompetent candidate.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2012, 12:13:39 PM »

This is not the only state where this problem exists for Rick - Illinois is another.  So is Tennessee, but you can appoint later there, so not as big of a problem.

IL will depend solely on the state GOP rules or applicable statutes.  Paging Muon for the latter.  Smiley
cavalcade

Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -3.13

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2012, 12:14:47 PM »

I would imagine that if Romney secures the nomination before the convention he will decide whether he wants the delegates or he'd rather let Santorum have them out of party unity.  It's only an issue if the nomination drags on.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2012, 12:16:29 PM »

I believe the campaign, through the state committee, could appoint under Article X, Section 5.  http://www.scribd.com/doc/30460103/Ohio-Republican-Party-State-Central-Committee-Bylaws

That deals with replacing an existing delegate who falls by the wayside.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2012, 12:29:04 PM »

Normally I'd say the state committee would probably just appoint Santorum delegates in districts he won, but with the complete lack of respect for democracy and their members' own votes the GOP always shows I wouldn't put it past them at all to just appoint a slate of Romney supporters (though probably officially "uncommitted")
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2012, 12:32:38 PM »

That deals with replacing an existing delegate who falls by the wayside.

Vacancies are included.  If Santorum should be intitled to a delegate, he can fill the vacance.  So, the only question is, will he be entitled to it?  Are delegates elected separately?  If so, he has no chance at them.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2012, 03:38:48 PM »

Normally I'd say the state committee would probably just appoint Santorum delegates in districts he won, but with the complete lack of respect for democracy and their members' own votes the GOP always shows I wouldn't put it past them at all to just appoint a slate of Romney supporters (though probably officially "uncommitted")

Romney would never accept delegates that he did not win legitimately.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2012, 03:43:39 PM »

rofl
mondale84
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -3.30

P P P
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2012, 03:51:13 PM »

LOL....

*cough*...Michigan at-large...*cough*....
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2012, 03:57:33 PM »

LOL....

Those were okay, under the party rules.

This is a bit different.  I'm not sure if the candidate that wins the district wins the delegate; in PA, they do not.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2012, 03:59:35 PM »

LOL....

Why do you say the Romney Michigan at large delegates are not legitimate Romney delegates?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2012, 06:04:29 PM »

LOL....

Why do you say the Romney Michigan at large delegates are not legitimate Romney delegates?

Because one of them wasn't Tongue
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies