Bradford West by-election - 29th March
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:36:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Bradford West by-election - 29th March
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9
Author Topic: Bradford West by-election - 29th March  (Read 29150 times)
Pete Whitehead
Rookie
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2012, 06:47:00 AM »

Meriden definitely did have BNP and Green councillors from 2008 to 2010 - BNP in Chelmsley Wood, Green in Smith's Wood.

Chelmsley Wood ward voted BNP in 2006 and Green in 2011.

ah yes, knew about Chelmsley wood but wasn't sure if they overlapped

The current Dewsbury seat contains wards which had both BNP and Green councillors concurrently - BNP in Dewsbury East and Green in Kirkburton. At the time however they were not in the same seat, Kirkburton at that time being in Wakefield. 
If the boundary proposals are adopted in Watford, that seat would be unique in having county council seats (as well as district council seats) that have elected BNP and Green councillors (South Oxhey and Callowland-Leggatts respectively), but the BNP councillor is no longer BNP and will no longer be a councillor either by the time that seat comes into existence (if it does)
joevsimp

Political Matrix
E: -5.95, S: -4.00

« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2012, 12:59:33 PM »

Meriden definitely did have BNP and Green councillors from 2008 to 2010 - BNP in Chelmsley Wood, Green in Smith's Wood.

The current Dewsbury seat contains wards which had both BNP and Green councillors concurrently - BNP in Dewsbury East and Green in Kirkburton. At the time however they were not in the same seat, Kirkburton at that time being in Wakefield. 
If the boundary proposals are adopted in Watford, that seat would be unique in having county council seats (as well as district council seats) that have elected BNP and Green councillors (South Oxhey and Callowland-Leggatts respectively), but the BNP councillor is no longer BNP and will no longer be a councillor either by the time that seat comes into existence (if it does)

gah, how could I forget Oxhey, I nearly ended up moving there a year ago
Andrea
Italy
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2012, 04:48:47 PM »

Tory candidate is Jackie Whiteley. She stood in Rotherham in 2010 GE and last year she was appointed "Conservative Parliamentary Spokesman for Rotherham" (I suppose waiting for a by-election there that didn't happen)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2012, 09:43:39 PM »

Interesting; the first white Tory candidate in the constituency since 1992. Yeah, they aren't trying this time.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2012, 04:25:39 AM »

Or they just looked at what happened to the LD vote when they went from a White to a Muslim and the Greens had the only White candidate in the race. Tongue
Pete Whitehead
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2012, 08:04:01 AM »

gah, how could I forget Oxhey, I nearly ended up moving there a year ago

Oxhey or South Oxhey? major difference

When is Labour selecting? I'm sure Andrea mentioned it somewhere but can't find a reference
Andrea
Italy
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2012, 11:54:39 AM »

I think it's on Sunday. So I suppose we should get a shortlist by tonight
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2012, 04:02:33 AM »

Via Andrea on UKPollingReport:
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Alan Hope is also supposedly going to stand for the Raving Loonies (he's listed on the Wikipedia page, and mentioned on UKPR).  So at the moment we have Green, UKIP, Respect and Loony in addition to the big three.
Andrea
Italy
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2012, 12:28:51 PM »

Labour List reports that the Labour shortlist (not particularly short) for Bradford West is

Shaukat Ali (there’s more than 1 Shaukat Ali in the Labour Party. I suppose he can be the one who is a Rotherham Cllr)

Ralph Berry (Bradford Cllr for Wibsey ward which is in Bradford West constituency)

Rupa Huq www.rupahuq.wordpress.com/about/

Imran Hussain (Bradford Council’s Deputy Leader; Cllr for Toller ward)

Afzal Khan (Manchester Councillor)

Fadel Takrouri (someone from Arabs for Labour. Should be based in the Midlands. Or at least he was in 2010 when he applied for Stoke Central)

Simon Young www.simonyoung.info/cms2/
Chancellor of the Duchy of Little Lever and Darcy Lever
andrewteale
Romania

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2012, 04:41:29 PM »

Labour List reports that Imran Hussain won the nomination.

http://labourlist.org/2012/03/bradford-west-candidate-selected/
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2012, 04:58:30 PM »

Shocker.
Andrea
Italy
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2012, 05:52:40 PM »
« Edited: March 12, 2012, 04:35:14 AM by Andrea »

A Labour activist was tweeting (is the verb, right?) from the selection meeting and wrote that Hussain got a standing ovation after his speech. And then during the Q&A someone from the floor implied that he was a rubbish councillor before being shouted down.

With a 7 people shortlisted, I wonder if one of them got 0 votes...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2012, 08:04:52 PM »

'Tweeting' would indeed be the right verb, as horrific as that (probably) is.

But, yeah, possible. Especially as many were outsiders.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2012, 07:48:09 AM »

Anyways, what chance of another lost deposit for the LibDems? Worse, what chance of finishing below the Incredible Human Cat?
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2012, 12:10:05 PM »

Wouldn't be shocked if they finished behind Galloway and UKIP, to be fair.

Have nominations closed or are the BNP just not bothering? Such a sign of how much in dire straights they are that they can't find someone (or can't afford to run someone?) in Bradford.
doktorb
United Kingdom

« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2012, 12:20:01 PM »

I have looked at forums where BNP members talk and cannot find any suggestion that a candidate has been selected by them

(In contrast, Enis Dalton who was selected for, I think. Barnsley, was paraded around for weeks before hand)

Nominations close on Wednesday
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2012, 01:26:44 PM »

Anyways, what chance of another lost deposit for the LibDems? Worse, what chance of finishing below the Incredible Human Cat?

How well is Galloway actually likely to do?  His candidacy seems thoroughly opportunistic (when has he previously shown any interest in Bradford?) but he obviously still has high name recognition and might (I don't know) have some appeal in some parts of the community in the inner city areas.  (If he doesn't, his opportunism looks misjudged, as he could end up with an embarrassingly bad result.)  Third place wouldn't surprise me.

As for the Lib Dems, they ought do do better than in Barnsley -- they have some history here, even if they did do awfully in 2011, and have chosen a Bradford councillor who apparently has some profile in the area -- so I'm minded to think they will keep their deposit, but not by that much.

If there's no BNP or similar candidate, UKIP could do quite well with some of the more racist voters in the west of the constituency.  Third wouldn't surprise me for them either.
doktorb
United Kingdom

« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2012, 05:52:55 PM »

According to the website of the England First Party, Neil Craig is to stand as a candidate under the label "Democratic Nationalist Party"
doktorb
United Kingdom

« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2012, 04:17:28 AM »

Nominations close this afternoon.
doktorb
United Kingdom

« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2012, 04:25:02 AM »

4pm, to be exact.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2012, 03:00:06 AM »

It looks like the candidates so far mentioned in this thread are the only ones, so there are eight: Hussain (Lab)
Whiteley (Con)
Sunderland (LD)
Galloway (Respect)
Islam (Green)
McNally (UKIP)
Hope (Raving Loony)
Craig (Democratic Nationalists)

(The BBC Yorkshire political reporter, Len Tingle, has a Twitter feed which implies he's seen the official list and mentions the Democratic Nationalist as the 8th.)

We should get confirmation later today.
doktorb
United Kingdom

« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2012, 03:57:11 AM »

Bradford Council's Twitter feed is a nonsense and their website.....Jeebus =/

I think you're right, YL, that does seem to be it. Usually anonymous IP addresses are adding numerous candidates to Wikipedia but it seems to be nothing of the sort at the moment.
doktorb
United Kingdom

« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2012, 06:35:18 AM »

http://www.bradford.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/A57E2517-0DF3-45A0-88A8-190A85006530/0/StatementofPersonsNominated.pdf

As expected

Interesting points of fact:

Neil Craig is a democratic nationalist who doesn't mind Mr and Mrs Hajdysz singing his nomination papers

George Galloway has an address in the constituency. Who knew?

Imran Hussain has asked 30 people to nominate him, and in so doing as made it easy for any aspiring author stuck for an authentic south Asian name to pick from a wide selection

If you're particularly geeky, the SOPN has a list of polling stations attached
Pete Whitehead
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2012, 08:22:41 AM »

Neil Craig is a democratic nationalist who doesn't mind Mr and Mrs Hajdysz singing his nomination papers

Its a Polish name I assume?  still his list of nominees is a bit more ethnically diverse than that of the Labour and Respect candidates
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2012, 11:51:44 AM »

If anyone's interested, here's the data for all the by-elections so far in this parliament. Of course, freakish results like the massive Lab-Lib tactical vote in Oldham East & Saddleworth mess this up quite a bit.

An election projection, just for fun, if these results were to happen at a general election (on the proposed boundaries, with notional gains):
Labour - 344 (+113)
Conservatives - 193 (-104)
Liberal Democrats - 40 (-8)
Plaid - 1 (-1)
SNP - 6 (nc)

And, of course:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies