Bradford West by-election - 29th March
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:59:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Bradford West by-election - 29th March
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9]
Author Topic: Bradford West by-election - 29th March  (Read 29054 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: April 01, 2012, 06:43:30 AM »

If he laid the groundwork for this campaign early - and it doesn't sound impossible - then Bradford Labour must be incredible incompetents to not have noticed.

Membership patterns in Bradford are certainly quite strange. Bradford South (which shows some of the signs of a well-organised CLP, at least in terms of electoral performance at various levels) has a very low membership, for example.

Or, rather...

Bradford Labour got burned really badly by biradari stuff from the mid 90s until the 2005-2010 parliament. It's possible that a decision was made that a decision was made that Asian members should look after things in Asian areas.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #201 on: April 01, 2012, 06:47:56 AM »

Some random conjecture based on reading some reports and rumours and making two plus two equal about thirty five: it's possible that Hussein lost votes to Galloway at both ends. He seems to have upset younger Muslims through not turning up to certain events and sounding like a tool at others and there are now quite a few rumours of the usual old guys switchings support in the last week; perhaps this happened precisely because he had already bled those other votes? A desire to maintain/create the appearance of communal cohesion?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #202 on: April 01, 2012, 07:00:53 AM »

Or even just a willingness to listen to their footsoldiers. Cause that's the thing about informal, clientelist voter organization - it can be a two-way street. A "leader" can't afford going against his followers' opinions beyond a certain point. And he also is a part of the community himself.

I would assume Galloway did get the vote of most of the Tory-voting Muslims of 97 and 01.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #203 on: April 01, 2012, 07:29:37 AM »

That would make sense as well.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #204 on: April 01, 2012, 07:41:19 AM »

It's not as if you can draw a clear line between the two, really.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #205 on: April 01, 2012, 08:15:38 AM »

All of which kind of brings us back to the question of "doesn't anybody vote in the suburban parts of the constituency", I suppose.

I demand immediate release of all UK general election results by ward. Angry
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #206 on: April 01, 2012, 08:42:09 AM »

Yes, it would be useful. It would also be nice to see what the actual patterns of the postal voters were (and that's part of the same demand, in the end).
Andrea
Italy
« Reply #207 on: April 01, 2012, 08:52:41 AM »
« Edited: April 01, 2012, 08:59:40 AM by Andrea »

In retrospect it would have been better to have stitched the shortlist in favour of Afzal Khan (who is, whatever else can be said of him, certainly a pro), but then there might have been other issues had that happened.

I guess one of the problems in not selecting Imran Hussain would have been a sort of civil war within the CLP by his cheerleaders. Going back to the hustings, I read that during the Q&A someone asked a question implying Hussain was a crap Cllr and was apparently literally shut down by his fans (the ones who gave him a standing ovation after his speech at the selection meeting).

However, they had an internal agitation in Ealing Southall when the national party ensured one of the local factions' leader didn't get the nomination and in the end it paid off.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #208 on: April 01, 2012, 09:01:46 AM »

I guess one of the problems in not selecting Imran Hussain would have been a sort of civil war within the CLP by his cheerleaders.

That's what I meant by 'other issues', yeah. Especially as there had been that sort of trouble in this very constituency before.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #209 on: April 01, 2012, 09:10:15 AM »

I guess one of the problems in not selecting Imran Hussain would have been a sort of civil war within the CLP by his cheerleaders.

That's what I meant by 'other issues', yeah. Especially as there had been that sort of trouble in this very constituency before.
Frying pan, meet fire.
Colbert
France

« Reply #210 on: April 01, 2012, 09:51:52 AM »

@comrade : dont despise blackburn : one day, the red rose of lancashire will rule the kingdom again Wink
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #211 on: April 01, 2012, 10:48:15 AM »

Frying pan, meet fire.

Well, quite.

Of course now that what's happened has happened... well... if I had my way I'd stick Bradford West CLP under Special Measures and start swinging around with a hammer... er... bad taste in the context of a constituency that includes both Manningham and the suburb in which Sutcliffe lived in, perhaps.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #212 on: April 02, 2012, 11:33:31 AM »
« Edited: April 02, 2012, 11:36:34 AM by I'm Mitt Romney and I like grits »

Respect have surged all the way to 1% with YouGov btw! Prime Minister Yaqoob and Foreign Secretary Galloway anyone?
dadge
Rookie
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -4.50

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #213 on: April 02, 2012, 02:14:29 PM »

Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but I noticed in an interview that Galloway described Yaqoob as a councillor, although she resigned last year. It wasn't clear (to me at least) why she resigned. Is she back being fully active in the party?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #214 on: April 02, 2012, 03:08:58 PM »

She resigned for health reasons, if I remember well.
dadge
Rookie
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -4.50

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #215 on: April 03, 2012, 02:00:27 AM »

I remember that too, but in politics that's a bit like "family reasons" - it might be something really serious, or it might just be an excuse. With my suspicious mind I wondered if she'd been "got at" in some way. I think she'd still leader of the party, so it would appear that she's locally ill and nationally well...
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #216 on: April 03, 2012, 04:13:59 AM »

A double role like that is stressful, and it's perfectly rational to lay down one and concentrate on the other. [/thinks of Matthias Platzeck]

Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #217 on: July 17, 2012, 02:54:52 PM »

Marsha Singh has died.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-18875343

RIP.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #218 on: July 17, 2012, 05:11:41 PM »

RIP

Not exactly a surprise, of course. Also, it seems as though the BBC no longer knows what 'majority' means in British political language.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies