Moslems (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:00:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Moslems (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Moslems  (Read 3206 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: March 04, 2012, 04:15:21 AM »

I agree with the consensus...Muslims tend to come from inferior cultures and their religion is a bit more juvenile than the ones we are accustomed to.....wait, then why aren't newer religion even more violent...and for that matter, why aren't non-Muslims from the same places just as violent?
First let me say that this is one of the most spectacularly paternalistic-racist things I've ever read on the Atlas Forum.
SWEET!  What do I win?
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Can you give some examples?
Well lets look at that...from the list of terrorist acts in Thailand:
1972  Israeli Bangkok Embassy hostage crisis-A bunch of Palestinians attack the Israeli embassy
2005 Songkhla bombings-while no one ever claimed it, most clues point to the Patani United Liberation Organization (PULO)...guess what they fight for?
2006 Bangkok bombings-probably not Muslim related
2006 Hat Yai bombings-probably is Muslim related, but hard to say
2007 Songkhla bombings-same as above
2007 South Thailand bombings-same as above ( Buddhists or ethnic Chinese were the targets)
2009 Narathiwat bombing-not much info...but it was in the south
2012 Iranian blows up own self trying to kill Jews

2 out of the 8 was probably non-Muslim
I started doing the same for India, but holy crap they've got serious issues.  I know there are a lot of people there, but man, that's a lot of terrorism by a lot of different groups of people...Sikhs, commies, random regional groups, Muslims, Buddhists, Furries, Purple People Eaters and Flat Earthers.  I'll concede that Muslims aren't the champions of Terrorism in India (but they are certainly competitive!).

As for Indonesia, I haven't clicked on ALL the links, but after 8 or so I haven't seen one that wasn't done by Muslims.

In the future, when defending Muslims, you might not want to bring numbers into it.  It NEVER works out well.

..and no Xahar, we don't need yet another picture of the OKC bombing.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 04:55:25 AM »

I didn't bring numbers into it. You did. You're also only looking at acts of immediate and proximate violence rather than uses of structural or symbolic violence, which in the case of Thailand are mostly directed against the Muslims. I will grant you Indonesia for the most part, because Indonesia among other things has a lot of friction between hardline and more syncretic Muslims, who aren't necessarily always as distinguishable from the 'Hindus' as you'd think.
So there is some "structural or symbolic violence" against Muslims by non-Muslims in a couple of places.  I agree.  It's wrong and should be stopped.  But it pales when compared to the "structural or symbolic violence" against non-Muslims by Muslims all over the Muslim world.

There are very few long running conflicts on this planet that don't have a strong Muslim component to them.  Odd that.
I would say that our cultures, that celebrate promiscuity and inebriation, while treating women as sex objects, can't exactly claim superiority.
Seriously?  You're going to bring how we treat women into this?  And then say it's a negative to OUR culture?  Dude, if I wanted to play softball I'd join a league.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 05:36:12 AM »

There are also relatively few poor countries without large Muslim populations (compared to the proportion of rich countries without them, not necessarily in absolute terms), although the Muslim world tends to be somewhat more well-off than some non-Muslim parts of these same continents. Everybody sh**ts on everybody else. The Muslim countries where they are indeed so structurally violent to non-Muslims collectively get sh**t on by another set of countries, which they (and a bunch of other countries) in turn collectively spew sh**t back at.

When this was explained to me as a principle of anthropology, I think there was a less scatological metaphor employed.

Treatment of women is honestly pretty awful in most places, in different ways. Very conservative Muslim beliefs (or many other kinds of very conservative beliefs) certainly don't help, of course.

Indeed, economics and a history of victimhood/revenge play an important role in this, just as they do in almost all conflicts.

And in no way do we treat women awful in the west.  Maybe 40 years ago one could make that argument, but not now.  Yes, SOME women are treated poorly, but so are SOME men.  Women can do anything they want in the west.  There is a list of things they haven't done yet, yes, but the great majority of those things are pretty freaking elite and it's only a matter of time before even those barriers are broken (I'm thinking US President, athlete competing against men professionally in sport...huh...others I'm sure).  Yes, there is some residual sexism, especially it certain places, but normally when it's brought to light the guilty take a lot of sh**t.  Like when men have the balls to take care of their children, women stand up and say "this will not do!".  Like recently in New Zealand when the government edited out a scene of a dad feeding his baby because of complaints from a breastfeeding organization.  As far as the west goes, women have almost as much power as the Jews or Skull and Bones.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 05:48:35 AM »

Indeed.  And I can understand still holding "radical" feminists views as you can still see a lot of sexism in our culture (and a lot more if your definition of sexism is fairly broad....oops, I said broad Smiley ).

What I don't understand is where the two posters previous to you are coming from.  (unless Sibb wasn't being sarcastic, but I'm thinking he was)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 06:01:28 AM »

The great majority of the gap is due to hours worked and to the types of jobs men tend to do compared to the types of jobs women tend to do.  The actual gap (if there still is one) is fairly small and ever shrinking.  And with women making up a majority of college degrees consistently for the last decade (or whatever), that will hopefully only accelerate.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 08:07:56 AM »

Why would somebody that wants to make money hire somebody that costs 20% more if everything else is equal except what hangs (or not) between their legs?  Yes, a gender wage gap probably still exists, but it's nowhere near 20%.  I'll eat my hat if the actual number in the US is more than 5%. (though, as stated, getting a "good" number is very hard)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 08:31:39 AM »

link
and from this link inside the above..
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 12:45:08 PM »

How many terrorists come out of Bangladesh, Dead0man?
At least a 100,000.

(obviously not every one of them was a "terrorist", but then again, they ain't the only group.)

And then there was this other time when many in the govt of Bangladesh allowed this to happen.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies