Rep. Altmire (D-PA) may be thrown off ballot because of where a staffer lives.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:27:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Rep. Altmire (D-PA) may be thrown off ballot because of where a staffer lives.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Rep. Altmire (D-PA) may be thrown off ballot because of where a staffer lives.  (Read 1533 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 04, 2012, 07:33:27 PM »

Actually, he might be thrown off the ballot because the signatures the staffer collected might not be valid (because she might not be allowed to circulate for Altmire due to residency requirements) but the title I chose grabs your attention.  Wink

http://www.timesonline.com/news/local_news/challenge-to-altmire-s-petition-hinges-on-staffer-s-home/article_a8330c1a-eb0c-587a-a139-8a4f3b234309.html

Congressman Critz has challenged 942 of Altmire's 1,651 signatures. Altmire's camp withdrew over 300 suspect signatures. The aide in question submitted 385 signatures. If a judge rules that she does not actually reside in the district and, therefore, cannot circulate for her boss, the signatures she obtained would be thrown out and Altmire would be off the ballot pending an appeal.

A ruling is expected tomorrow - Monday, March 5th. Oh, the drama... Smiley
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 07:50:36 PM »

So who is Santorum going to be voting for on Tuesday?
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 09:23:15 PM »

Even if the judge rules against Altmire, he can appeal to federal court, because residency requirements for petition circulators are unconstitutional. They've been struck down in a bunch of states.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 10:34:44 PM »

This is probably the stupidest thing I've heard all year.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 10:41:54 PM »

Neither. He lives in Virginia.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 11:06:30 PM »

I know that. My point is that Santorum won't be able to vote for himself, because he's not on the ballot there.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 12:39:29 AM »

No idea what the joke is here. Enlighten me.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 02:32:08 AM »

This is probably the stupidest thing I've heard all year.

Yeah the law is utterly inane if as written. So this doesn't surprise me:

Even if the judge rules against Altmire, he can appeal to federal court, because residency requirements for petition circulators are unconstitutional. They've been struck down in a bunch of states.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 08:40:15 AM »

I know that. My point is that Santorum won't be able to vote for himself, because he's not on the ballot there.

Weak reach at a residency joke.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 02:08:48 PM »

Lolpennsylvanians.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 02:43:52 PM »

Yes, but signatories to a petition must live in the district, so it may not be unconstitutional for the circulator of that petition to also be a resident. I'm curious if there's a federal case on this question.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2012, 05:25:43 PM »

Judge rules in Altmire's favor.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012, 07:24:26 AM »

The law for residency requirements are dumb, but it's even dumber that the campaign didn't catch this before.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2012, 12:20:58 AM »

Yes, but signatories to a petition must live in the district, so it may not be unconstitutional for the circulator of that petition to also be a resident. I'm curious if there's a federal case on this question.

http://www.opednews.com/articles/genera_michael__070105_pennsylvania_has_mor.htm

Morrill v Weaver is almost exactly on target, other than it applied to a minor party.  In Pennsylvania, minor parties do not qualify directly, but rather their nominated candidates  petition to get on the general election ballot in a way parallel to independent candidates.  The party qualifies based on the success of the party candidates (it might just be governor).

In the case of Morrill v Weaver, the Green Party was trying to get on the ballot, and the gubernatorial was gathering signatures for his run, but couldn't witness signatures for district candidates unless they happened to be in his county.

In collecting signatures to get on a primary ballot it is somewhat different in that potential candidates are competitors.  It makes sense to require signatures to be collected by someone who is affiliated with the party.  Otherwise, an opposition party could run a primary candidate.  Whether someone who resides in another district could be considered an outsider, is another question.

In Pennsylvania, they determined that the person who collected the signatures lived with her parents (in the district) even though she had rented an apartment.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies