Demographic breakdown of kids in Minneapolis neighborhoods
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:01:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  Demographic breakdown of kids in Minneapolis neighborhoods
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Demographic breakdown of kids in Minneapolis neighborhoods  (Read 1600 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 06, 2012, 03:29:18 AM »

Let's check out a few:

Whittier
Overall population:
White 51.3%
Black 19.8%
Hispanic 20.0%
Asian 3.9%
Native 1.8%
Other 3.2%

Under 18 population:
White 13.6%
Black 37.5%
Hispanic 37.9%
Asian 2.9%
Native 2.4%
Other 5.7%

Stevens Square
Overall population:
White 64.3%
Black 21.4%
Hispanic 5.8%
Asian 3.4%
Native 1.2%
Other 3.9%

Under 18 population:
White 34.2%
Black 33.8%
Hispanic 14.6%
Asian 3.8%
Native 3.1%
Other 10.4%

Phillips
Overall population:
White 20.3%
Black 32.6%
Hispanic 32.5%
Asian 2.7%
Native 8.0%
Other 3.8%

Under 18 population:
White 5.9%
Black 36.8%
Hispanic 39.0%
Asian 2.0%
Native 10.1%
Other 6.3%

Near North Community (roughly)
Overall population:
White 17.5%
Black 52.3%
Hispanic 8.6%
Asian 14.6%
Native 1.5%
Other 5.5%

Under 18 population:
White 5.5%
Black 55.5%
Hispanic 10.6%
Asian 18.9%
Native 1.3%
Other 8.1%

Yeah some of those are simply jaw-dropping. Some time I should do this for certain areas in San Francisco.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 04:05:56 AM »

It's interesting stuff actually as it gives an indication of what these places will start to look like in a generation from now. Have you got links to the data? Maps might be good...
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 11:49:50 AM »
« Edited: March 06, 2012, 12:09:15 PM by The Old World Is Behind Us »

I got the info off off Dave's Redistricting App, and I doubt it shows much for the future since many of these places weren't much different 10 years ago, Whittier actually got more white since the last Census when it was only plurality white. What's happening is the minorities who grew up there move out, and whites without kids move in. Phillips is known for house shows, probably because the houses are so cheap it's the best place to go if you want to host them.

This also might reveal why Phillips contains Lewis Trondheim's favorite part of Minneapolis.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 10:58:26 PM »

I got the info off off Dave's Redistricting App, and I doubt it shows much for the future since many of these places weren't much different 10 years ago, Whittier actually got more white since the last Census when it was only plurality white. What's happening is the minorities who grew up there move out, and whites without kids move in. Phillips is known for house shows, probably because the houses are so cheap it's the best place to go if you want to host them.

This also might reveal why Phillips contains Lewis Trondheim's favorite part of Minneapolis.

I would also hazard a guess that many of the whites in the 18+ crowd are not in the personal situation to raise a family and simply move to the suburbs when they do. Young college graduates tend to congregate in urban cores, making the city whiter by 18+ % than by % of families living there.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 11:08:37 PM »

I always imagined Minnesota as the land of annoyingly nice Scandinavians. Guess I was wrong.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 11:32:41 PM »

I always imagined Minnesota as the land of annoyingly nice Scandinavians. Guess I was wrong.

Minority neighborhoods in Minneapolis aren't exactly representative of the state as a whole. Tongue

I once looked for the blackest precinct in the state outside of the Twin Cities and inner ring suburbs, and the most I could find was one in Rochester that was 7% black.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 08:22:48 PM »

Gwinnett County, GA

total population: 44% White, 23% Black, 20% Hispanic, 11% Asian, 2% other
<18 population: 35% White, 26% Black, 25% Hispanic, 9% Asian, 4% other

Rockdale County, GA

total population: 46% Black, 41% White, 10% Hispanic, 2% Asian, 2% other
<18 population: 55% Black, 27% White, 13% Hispanic, 4% other, 2% Asian

Douglas County, GA

total population: 49% White, 39% Black, 8% Hispanic, 2% Asian, 2% other
<18 population: 45% Black, 37% White, 12% Hispanic, 5% other, 1% Asian

Hall County, GA

total population: 64% White, 26% Hispanic, 7% Black, 2% Asian, 1% other
<18 population: 49% White, 39% Hispanic, 7% Black, 2% other, 2% Asian
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 12:01:14 PM »

What you have is a mix of young minority families and then large white college/young adult (25-34 year olds) groups that overwhelm everything else.  But these people don't tend to have kids (yet).  When they do have kids, they will move out of the neighborhood. 

With college enrollment likely at a peak in the region with stagnant enrollments at best for the next decade, the white adult proportion will shrink as the current 20/early 30 somethings living there will move on and the replacement generation is smaller.

But the under 18 white population might not shrink as much, relatively speaking, as the population as a whole because of another echo of the baby boom (1950s/1980s/2010s).

memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 02:38:26 PM »

So there are no black neighborhoods in the entire state? Are there any states as populous where that's the case? Arizona, perhaps?
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 03:25:23 PM »
« Edited: March 15, 2012, 03:29:39 PM by The Great Pumpkin »

So there are no black neighborhoods in the entire state? Are there any states as populous where that's the case? Arizona, perhaps?

If you're talking about Minnesota you must be misreading something, since the Near North of Minneapolis is listed as 52% black in BRTD's post. (Edit: unless, I suppose, by "black neighborhood" you mean basically all black, in which case, you're right).

Among states that are more populous than Minnesota, both Washington and Arizona have no black-majority census tracts, though they each have at least one where blacks are the largest single racial group. The most populous state without even a black-plurality census tract is Oregon. (All three of these state claims might be false if there are random black areas outside Seattle, Tacoma, Spokane, Portland, Phoenix or Tucson that I've forgotten to check).
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2012, 06:34:46 PM »

If you're talking about Minnesota you must be misreading something, since the Near North of Minneapolis is listed as 52% black in BRTD's post. (Edit: unless, I suppose, by "black neighborhood" you mean basically all black, in which case, you're right).

Among states that are more populous than Minnesota, both Washington and Arizona have no black-majority census tracts, though they each have at least one where blacks are the largest single racial group. The most populous state without even a black-plurality census tract is Oregon. (All three of these state claims might be false if there are random black areas outside Seattle, Tacoma, Spokane, Portland, Phoenix or Tucson that I've forgotten to check).

The only black-plurality census tract in Arizona has 17 people total; I wouldn't really call that a neighborhood.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2012, 09:45:44 PM »

Near North is a community, not a neighborhood (in Minneapolis communities are groupings of neighborhoods, which tend to be quite small and usually only about 4-5k in population). But the blackest precinct in it is about 63%, this is slightly beat by the blackest precinct in St. Paul at about 65%. The blackest precinct in Minneapolis and the entire state of Minnesota is nowhere near it and is a bunch of mostly Somali-populated public housing projects that sits between downtown and Augsburg College which is right across the river from the U of M that's over 83% black and doesn't contain a single white child per DRA data. It's also home to the primary punk/hardcore/indie venue in the city so I'm there quite often.

BTW I was actually quite off for the blackest precinct in outstate Minnesota, the blackest one in Rochester is actually 25.8% black (I think I was thinking of one of the Dakotas there, the blackest precinct in Fargo or Sioux Fall is 7% black). Rochester is actually up to 6% black population now, which is a doubling since the last census.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2012, 09:51:41 PM »

If you're curious about the Dakotas:

The blackest precinct in North Dakota unsurprisingly is the one containing the Minot Air Force base, which is over 10% black. The next highest one is one in Grand Forks that's around 7.5% black. In South Dakota it's an 10.1% black one in Sioux Falls. Sioux Falls does have some notably high minorities in general precincts though, the over 10% black one is also barely over 60% white and another falls just under 60%, but with few blacks and the minorities being mostly Hispanic and Native.)
Nichlemn

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2012, 08:22:23 PM »

I'm intrigued as to how many areas have no blacks at all. For instance, I went through a list of the smallest counties in the US and I think there are zero blacks in any of the top ten or so.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies