King is in! Angus King (I-ME) to run for Snowe's seat.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:18:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  King is in! Angus King (I-ME) to run for Snowe's seat.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: King is in! Angus King (I-ME) to run for Snowe's seat.  (Read 7061 times)
Is Totally Not Feeblepizza.
Crackers
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2012, 06:58:11 PM »

Yes! Cheesy
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2012, 08:48:13 PM »

He can borrow all my King for Senate banners from AFE if he wants.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2012, 10:52:50 PM »

How is he another Lieberman?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2012, 11:03:55 PM »

I guess because he's not a real Democrat, which still makes it a stretch to assume that he's a troll whose primary focus is to go out of his way to damage the Democratic Party.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2012, 11:04:55 PM »

I guess because he's not a real Democrat, which still makes it a stretch to assume that he's a troll whose primary focus is to go out of his way to damage the Democratic Party.

King didn't endorse McCain/Palin either.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2012, 03:01:04 AM »

He endorsed Bush. That's even worse.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2012, 03:07:49 AM »

What? No it's not. He endorsed Bush in 2000. A lot of the following political alignment and discourse have been products of Bush's first term. Bush's 2000 run among other things trumpeted a 'humble' foreign policy, for instance...
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2012, 03:15:14 AM »

What? No it's not. He endorsed Bush in 2000. A lot of the following political alignment and discourse have been products of Bush's first term. Bush's 2000 run among other things trumpeted a 'humble' foreign policy, for instance...

His foreign policy was only one aspect of his platform though. Bush was still very much a social conservative in 2000.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2012, 02:12:19 AM »

The only important thing now - King will, probably, win. Right now i don't see neither Democrtic nor Republican candidate able to beat him. As Senator he will likely vote as moderate-liberal Democrat (Herb Kohl-type). That's fine enough with me.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #59 on: March 11, 2012, 03:38:03 AM »

His foreign policy was only one aspect of his platform though. Bush was still very much a social conservative in 2000.

I might be misremembering 2000 (I was very young), but were social issues particularly trenchant at that point?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2012, 03:44:19 AM »

I might be misremembering 2000 (I was very young), but were social issues particularly trenchant at that point?

Despite Clinton's lingering popularity, both parties wanted to clean the slate after the Lewinsky debacle.  Republicans tried to play the moral high ground as best they could, with 'compassionate conservatism' as GWB's buzzword throughout the campaign.  Meanwhile, the Democrats gave us Joe Lieberman and Tipper Gore.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2012, 03:47:20 AM »

Despite Clinton's lingering popularity, both parties wanted to clean the slate after the Lewinsky debacle.  Republicans tried to play the moral high ground as best they could, with 'compassionate conservatism' as GWB's buzzword throughout the campaign.  Meanwhile, the Democrats gave us Joe Lieberman and Tipper Gore.

That's what I thought. I meant it didn't seem like there was a stark division on such matters going on between the campaigns the way there was in 2004.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2012, 04:09:08 AM »

Indeed, the VP debate between Lieberman and Cheney was seen as more of a luncheon between old friends than a knockout deathmatch.  But then that's pretty much why Lieberman was put on the ticket in the first place.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #63 on: March 11, 2012, 03:31:55 PM »

King just endorsed Obama for reelection so I guess he won't be caucusing with the Republicans anytime soon.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #64 on: March 11, 2012, 03:35:00 PM »

They were. Though the main "social issue" was gun control.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #65 on: March 11, 2012, 03:37:15 PM »

Bush in 2000 ran on a fairly sane platform, actually, and if he'd governed halfway competently as the candidate he ran as he might have been an okay President.

Bush even criticised some Republicans for wanting to "balance the budget on the backs of the poor". Can you imagine one of the current candidates saying something like that without getting booted out of the party for being a Marxist RINO?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #66 on: March 11, 2012, 05:32:33 PM »

I prefer a real independent over a "moderate Republican".
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #67 on: March 12, 2012, 01:39:25 AM »

"Independent" is not ideological category, "moderate" - is. It's absolutely impossible to compatre them - that would be something like comparing scissors and apples.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #68 on: March 12, 2012, 01:06:39 PM »

"Independent" is not ideological category, "moderate" - is. It's absolutely impossible to compatre them - that would be something like comparing scissors and apples.
Ever tried trimming your toe nails with an apple?
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies