Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 25, 2014, 05:15:16 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: True Federalist, Former Moderate, Badger)
| | |-+  Why do people defend bullying?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Why do people defend bullying?  (Read 742 times)
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
YaBB God
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

View Profile
« on: March 07, 2012, 03:18:59 pm »
Ignore

Seriously.

Free Bradley Manning
Rooney
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 03:42:23 pm »
Ignore

I have found among my own fellow teachers that many adults view bullying as, "Something every one has to go through." An English teacher once told me that it was okay to have bullying in a school because it was, "Natural" and "life is hard." There was a history teacher at my school who actually aided in the torment of a student, thus becoming a bully himself. When the principal and I confronted him on this he explained, "Bullying is good for boys because it makes them stronger." Needless to say he was transferred from the school district but he is still teaching, which is a scary thought. I know most teachers are not like this and report bullying, but it certainly plays into the question well.

A lot of the kids I have seen picked on are more "effeminate" or "nerdy" males and shy girls and these are people who simply are the "forgotten" students at schools. I teach students with behavior issues so you might think that they are all big, tough and angry dudes with leather jackets and bad attitudes. I have found the opposite. They are mostly misunderstood kids who don't "play school" well and are picked on by everyone. They are bullied non-stop and I see that everyday. The reason few people care is because they are special education students and can easily be forgotten by general education.

So why do people defend bullying, Twilight, the reason is because the students effected are not visible. The teachers who defend them are not powerful and the administrators are overwhelmed by other work. Thus, people can defend bullying and no one will care because no one "important" is being harmed. This is sad and sick, but it is what happens. That is why it is the duty of people with empathy to report bullying and to fight against all those who defend it.     

Political Matrix:
Economic score: +8.65
Social score: -8.00
memphis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.10, S: -3.83

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 03:53:58 pm »
Ignore

Because it's what Jesus would do.

I cannot do anything good under my own power. 
I will get up and move around every now and then so I reduce the chances to get hit with another Grade 8 headache in the morning.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 04:42:35 pm »
Ignore

Seriously.

Because they're authoritarians.

Quote from: Alice Goodman
To those who come prepared to see and hear only what they want to see and hear, nothing one can say is of any use.

Economic: -4.45
Social: -6.52
tweed
Miamiu1027
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.52, S: -8.00

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 05:23:36 pm »
Ignore

I don't think we do, we just oppose its criminalization.

in a mirror, dimly lit
Torie
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 07:03:23 pm »
Ignore

Is there some conflation here between being a bully (which sucks of course), and learning skills as to how to cope with a bully, which may entail some sort of cross intimidation, if deflection or whatever fails? 

rwoy
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 12:04:51 pm »
Ignore

Because a large # of people have been bullies at some point in their life.  It is very hard to admit you were ever wrong.  So they argue that bullying "just happens" ... it is "part of life" ... it "builds character".
Frodo
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 12:27:45 pm »
Ignore

Presumably because they think kids need to be 'toughened up' to deal with the real world. 

realisticidealist
YaBB God
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: 4.52

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 12:47:12 pm »
Ignore

While bullying is reprehensible and evil, I do think that being bullied myself has made me a better, more humble, more empathetic person. I'm sure there are better ways to instill these things, but it is possible to make good things out of bad situations. That's about the only positive thing I can say for it though.

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return."
#Ready4Nixon
Cathcon
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2012, 12:51:08 pm »
Ignore

I wasn't the most popular guy at a point in my life. But I never killed myself and I never sunk into a bottomless pit of depression either. Nor did I ever run and tell someone and ask for the intervention of authrotiy (I prefer to bitch to my peers while getting little done). So for me, I understand that this horrible sh**t happens but there's a part of me that just goes "Inks it, I had to go through this sh**t too and I survived. Deal with it." probably not the kindest attitude and morally probably wrong, but there's the explanation.

I'm JewCon in name only.
Klecly
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.61, S: 6.52

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2012, 03:40:05 pm »
Ignore

I don't defend bullying. Yea, there's an age where a lot of it occurs (Middle school), but people have to start realizing that what they are doing is wrong.

It can't always be blamed on youthful mistakes...

Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
YaBB God
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2012, 02:39:24 pm »
Ignore

I've heard the excuse that bullying enforces social norms or whatever, by getting kids to stop doing socially unacceptable things.  Which is totally bull[inks].

Free Bradley Manning
ChairmanSanchez
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

P P P

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2012, 03:24:09 pm »
Ignore

I wasn't the most popular guy at a point in my life. But I never killed myself and I never sunk into a bottomless pit of depression either. Nor did I ever run and tell someone and ask for the intervention of authrotiy (I prefer to bitch to my peers while getting little done). So for me, I understand that this horrible sh**t happens but there's a part of me that just goes "Inks it, I had to go through this sh**t too and I survived. Deal with it." probably not the kindest attitude and morally probably wrong, but there's the explanation.
This. From 1st to 6th grade, I was bullied and I became depressed. I cried, b*tched, moaned, and got parents involved.  That did not change anything. So, I became a hermit. I stuck to my selected group of friends, and that was that. I just entered a new school for 9th grade, and did not know a soul. I picked out the people who I thought I would get along with, and hung out with them. And I slowly expanded my circle of friends using this "strategy". I have never been happier. Im either liked or unknown. And as far as I am concerned, thats how it should be.

If a burial strikes my family as too practical, I'd go for either a viking funeral on one of the Great Lakes or to be sealed up in a tomb with my closest servants and bang-maids so they may wait on my every need in the afterlife.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -1.22

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2012, 05:02:51 pm »
Ignore

People are mean to one another.  From beginning to end.

Former Moderate
Mr. Moderate
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2012, 08:31:27 pm »

Because teachers and administrators are too effing stupid to understand that it leads to people killing themselves.

fezzyfestoon
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2012, 02:46:09 pm »
Ignore

I don't personally know about defending the act of bullying, but I would defend bullies in a lot of senses. They need just as much help from bullying as those being bullied. They're certainly not doing it out of happiness or satisfaction with themselves. Deriving positive feelings from physically or emotionally abusing another human being is not a healthy behavior on any level.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout