Opinion of the Kony 2012 Movement
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 06:01:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Opinion of the Kony 2012 Movement
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Well?
Freedom Movement

Horrible Movement

Indifferent/Unsure/Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 27

Author Topic: Opinion of the Kony 2012 Movement  (Read 2006 times)
Modernity has failed us
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 07, 2012, 04:09:29 PM »

Obviously a freedom movement.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 04:37:59 PM »

Useless "movement" designed primarily to make people on Facebook feel good by reposting a film.

A devil's advocate look - http://visiblechildren.tumblr.com

EDIT: To clarify, obviously Kony's insanely awful and should be stopped, but internet bandwagons rub me up the wrong way.
Modernity has failed us
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 04:44:06 PM »

Useless "movement" designed primarily to make people on Facebook feel good by reposting a film.

A devil's advocate look - http://visiblechildren.tumblr.com

EDIT: To clarify, obviously Kony's insanely awful and should be stopped, but internet bandwagons rub me up the wrong way.

I actually just came across this link several minutes ago. My opinion of the movement has changed as it turns out.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 05:31:55 PM »

Freedom movement. (Not a trollin' fascist.)
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 03:11:28 AM »

Horrible Movement.
http://i.imgur.com/K3mgn.jpg
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 03:24:12 AM »
« Edited: March 08, 2012, 03:26:24 AM by The Old World Is Behind Us »

Saying that a hundred military advisors is expected to singlehandedly stave off Chinese influence in Africa is almost as inane as ChairmanSanchez's insistence that this is a full fledged invasion that'll require a draft.

And no I'm not going to buy "But a large scale military operation is INEVITABLE!!111!! This is starting JUST LIKE VIETNAM!!!11!!!" considering those claims are from the same people claiming there would be ground troops in Libya.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 03:42:39 AM »

Saying that a hundred military advisors is expected to singlehandedly stave off Chinese influence in Africa is almost as inane as ChairmanSanchez's insistence that this is a full fledged invasion that'll require a draft.

And no I'm not going to buy "But a large scale military operation is INEVITABLE!!111!! This is starting JUST LIKE VIETNAM!!!11!!!" considering those claims are from the same people claiming there would be ground troops in Libya.
I was too lazy to write actual reasons, so I gave a reddit soundbite. Basically, it's a campaign appealing to the least-common denominator that is run by a an organization that is not good for anything but viral marketing. IS spent 32% of their donations on actual useful stuff http://visiblechildren.tumblr.com/post/18890947431/we-got-trouble. Also Kony is not the root problem, it's the symptoms, neoliberalists abusing Africa after it decolonized is the real problem. I suspect LRA is somewhat like Taliban, but their half-lifes/pervasiveness might be different.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 12:22:26 PM »

Well that's true yes, the organization running it is a bit of a scam, and there are root problems in Africa beyond Kony. But that doesn't make the comic anymore silly or mean that getting rid of Kony wouldn't help matters, Sierra Leone and Liberia for example are pretty well off now by the standards of Africa but previously had similar situations. I do hope that not too many donate to Invisible Children because of it though.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 05:09:55 PM »

I'd say film production was also useful.

Not entirely sure about this organisation, but they've certainly raised the profile of a very forgotten conflict.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 05:36:26 PM »

If you look at Invisible Children more as a PAC (which is their main focus) and less as a charity, they are just fine.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2012, 01:24:24 AM »

Seems to me like I might have influenced the vote, more likely explanation would that more people said the same thing today.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2012, 01:49:37 AM »

It's a net good, but the criticism and critiques are well deserved.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2012, 03:19:02 AM »

Joseph Kony is a horrible man, but its apparent support for more US involvement in another country makes me reluctant to support it.  I voted 'indifferent'.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2012, 03:36:09 AM »

The fact that the organization behind it basically being a scam and all is a perfectly valid criticism which makes bringing up the wild conspiracy theories about Chinese influence like in that comic all the more inane, not to mention the nonsense ChairmanSanchez is spewing...
Pingvin
Pingvin99
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2012, 06:53:16 AM »

Joseph Kony is a horrible man, but its apparent support for more US involvement in another country makes me reluctant to support it.  I voted 'indifferent'.
Paleobrazilian
Brazil

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2012, 08:44:06 AM »

You don't need the military to resolve this: strengthen the International Criminal Court and criminals like Kony will get what they deserve without the need of armed forces.
danny
Israel

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2012, 10:07:24 AM »

You don't need the military to resolve this: strengthen the International Criminal Court and criminals like Kony will get what they deserve without the need of armed forces.
The ICC can't do anything without armed forces.
Paleobrazilian
Brazil

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2012, 11:01:22 AM »

The ICC can't do anything without armed forces.

It can, if Uganda and the DNC find a way to get their hands at Kony - while he probably has a good hideout, I don't think he's untouchable. Plus, some countries in the area, like Sudan, are not ICC members (in fact, al-Bashir was actually helping the LRA), and some others, like Kenya, have already their legal obligation to surrender wanted people before.
danny
Israel

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2012, 11:27:22 AM »

It can, if Uganda and the DNC find a way to get their hands at Kony - while he probably has a good hideout, I don't think he's untouchable.
If Kony were to be captured than he obviously would no longer be a problem, but the existence of the ICC doesn't change that. At most it will change the place he will spend his jail sentence.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2012, 04:35:21 AM »

Joseph Kony is a horrible man, but its apparent support for more US involvement in another country makes me reluctant to support it.  I voted 'indifferent'.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2012, 01:21:02 PM »

Mixed: while it's clearly well-intentioned, it's indicative of a lot of the problems with slacktivism: namely the idea that you can chance the world by doing nothing but liking a video on Facebook. Worse, the video carries a lot of unfortunate implications, and the name "Invisible Children" implies that Ugandan children are invisible unless American hipsters care about them.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies