towards a spiritualist Mormonism/Mormon non-theism (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:04:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  towards a spiritualist Mormonism/Mormon non-theism (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: towards a spiritualist Mormonism/Mormon non-theism  (Read 3174 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« on: March 10, 2012, 12:07:39 PM »

Yeah it allows for pretty convenient flip-flopping akin to Harold Camping. At least the Catholic Church isn't as prone to extreme changes, even if this means that they're always about three centuries behind.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 10:41:08 PM »

I think you'd have to be at least baptized as a Mormon first to attempt to start something like this.

Have you even looked into that? It's usually not hard to get baptized, parents that want their baby baptized in a church that does that usually just need to ask the pastor and they'll schedule it in an upcoming service, and all I had to do to get baptized was sign up when they put that around and have like a 15 minute talk with one of the pastors. I don't know if the LDS are bigger on more requirements and whatnot, but in most cases it's not hard. And to answer your IRC question I didn't have to pay anything, I don't know if the LDS charge, but there's a huge stigma toward churches charging anything for it (I think some Catholic and Episcopalian ones do for a special baptism service for babies, but then the charge is for the special service, not the baptism itself, more comparable to a wedding.)
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 09:59:06 PM »

That's a pretty consistent and not uncommon position, the California Council of Churches endorsed Prop 19 despite none of of their member denominations actually supporting marijuana use obviously, they just considered the cost of marijuana criminalization and effects on families and the poor to be much worse. I'm sure many congregations in California full of olds overwhelmingly voted against anyway.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies