towards a spiritualist Mormonism/Mormon non-theism (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:52:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  towards a spiritualist Mormonism/Mormon non-theism (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: towards a spiritualist Mormonism/Mormon non-theism  (Read 3176 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« on: March 09, 2012, 02:11:41 AM »

What is it specifically about Mormonism that appeals to you, Tweed?

Not trying to be disputatious; I'm genuinely curious.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 04:42:33 PM »

Sorry, let me clarify. What I'm wondering is what precisely makes this Mormon? Is it like postmodern religion that happens to be 'Mormon-flavored' culturally rather than Christian?
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 05:27:30 PM »

First of all, I'd like to warn you that it is very difficult in this day and age to attempt to put together a canonical religious text without seeming cultish. I know that's not what you're about but others may not. Putting this forth at first as a theologically agitatory text within Mormonism as it currently exists may be a more prudent way to do things if you intend to attract a movement of any significance.

From your thread on your missionization in the Forum Community board, it seemed like the things that appealed to you about Mormonism were (or at least included) its culture, its sense of solidarity-as-outsiders as Mikado mentioned, those elements of Mormon practice and belief and living standards that are not explicitly bound up in some of the more unsavory elements of its history or outlandish elements of its scripture, and possibly its uniquely American character and provenance? Is this a fair assessment of the areas in which you intend to maintain more or less unbroken continuity with previous Mormon movements?
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 11:31:11 AM »

just glanced over the last couple of days posts of this thread....I am understanding it correctly that Tweed is attempting to create his own religion?!

More like his own theological school within an existing religion. I still wonder if he might not be a little young, but it's less crazy than it sounds.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies