Pennsylvania: An analysis.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:11:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Pennsylvania: An analysis.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Pennsylvania: An analysis.  (Read 11578 times)
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2012, 10:24:40 PM »

J.J., what exactly are you saying? "Some others have not done well." What? No one is expecting Santorum to do exceptionally well in the SE but I don't even know to whom you're referring at this point. And of course Santorum will do better in the SW. Stop stating the obvious.

It might not be obvious to some people reading this thread.

There are a whole bunch of factors, including the probability of Santorum winning the state and coming in behind Romney with the delegate count (which has been noted).

You know things, and I know these things, but not everyone reading this knows these things.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2012, 12:18:49 AM »

Rumor: Corbett to endorse Santorum just before the PA primary - http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/03/republican_presidential_nomina.html

Really not much of a story since they're old allies. Word is that he's been neutral out of respect for Rick but would join Romney's campaign once Santorum left the race. Then the race changed and now the word is that he'll endorse shortly before the primary. This would only be newsworthy if he wasn't going for Santorum (not that that would matter too much but it certainly isn't a headline you'd want to see from Santorum's perspective). 

If you scroll down past the story, there are some interesting blubs about each candidate, where they should run strongest (mostly accurate) and their strategies.
defe07

« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2012, 12:50:27 PM »

I've got an honest question to ask here about the Loophole Primary in Pennsylvania and Illinois. OK, so each voter in each district gets to vote for x number of delegates and the top x vote-getters are chosen?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2012, 01:03:05 PM »

I've got an honest question to ask here about the Loophole Primary in Pennsylvania and Illinois. OK, so each voter in each district gets to vote for x number of delegates and the top x vote-getters are chosen?

Correct

The Presidential vote is meaningless aside from getting bragging rights.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2012, 09:16:34 AM »

Establishment rallying for Romney in Harrisburg today - http://www.politicspa.com/pa-gop-establishment-to-rally-for-romney/32623/

The only new names appearing are Congressmen Dent and Shuster. Hardly surprising as they are hardly favorites with the base.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2012, 09:19:42 AM »

Establishment rallying for Romney in Harrisburg today - http://www.politicspa.com/pa-gop-establishment-to-rally-for-romney/32623/

The only new names appearing are Congressmen Dent and Shuster. Hardly surprising as they are hardly favorites with the base.

Shuster has a following though in the center of the T.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2012, 09:21:49 AM »

Not enough that they'd vote for Romney.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2012, 10:32:34 AM »

Not enough that they'd vote for Romney.

It could weaken the ABR, and Shuster has a good ground organization.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2012, 04:22:36 PM »

Proof that Santorum is receiving Corbett/some establishment support? Corbett's 2010 campaign manager is now running Rick's state operation.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #59 on: March 14, 2012, 09:53:29 AM »

Ridge endorses Romney. In other news...
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #60 on: March 14, 2012, 10:06:26 AM »

Proof that Santorum is receiving Corbett/some establishment support? Corbett's 2010 campaign manager is now running Rick's state operation.

Maybe not.  As you are aware, there are friendships and personal alliances that come into play.

I wouldn't be too surprised if the delegates sit on their hands until a winner emerges.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #61 on: March 14, 2012, 10:55:32 AM »

PA will be interesting. It should theoretically be a good state for Romney, since the Republicans there are often (though not always Tongue ) rather moderate by national standards.

Of course, Santorum being his opponent changes things, as well as Romney's rather weak showings in a lot of the primaries he was expected to win (or at least come close to winning).
Still, I imagine it will be close. Tongue
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #62 on: March 15, 2012, 09:16:07 AM »

It will only be close if Santorum totally collapses nationally and the media deem the race to be over. Romney can't rely on big margins outside of Montco, Bucks, Delaware, Chester, Allegheny and a few others (and even those counties should be closer than you'd think). I still contend that Romney loses Philly because of the types of Republicans we have here and how they vastly outnumber Romney types in the more affluent areas of the city. Plus, Paul will take a lot of those affluent area votes, too.
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #63 on: March 15, 2012, 10:55:33 AM »

I could see Santorum doing reasonably well in Allegeney county as well; he did represent the Eastern chunk of it a while back as a congressman, which could help him now (maybe?)  Tongue  
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #64 on: March 15, 2012, 11:00:54 AM »

I could see Santorum doing reasonably well in Allegeney county as well; he did represent the Eastern chunk of it a while back as a congressman, which could help him now (maybe?)  Tongue  

Yeah, he'll do well and might even win but outside of the city, you have wealthy areas where Romney should have a good showing. Same with some bordering counties.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #65 on: March 15, 2012, 11:08:15 AM »

Yes, his district was part of Allegheny County.  Following up on Phil, the district didn't include Pittsburgh, and included some moderately Republican areas west of Pittsburgh.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #66 on: March 15, 2012, 11:27:14 AM »

Yes, his district was part of Allegheny County.  Following up on Phil, the district didn't include Pittsburgh, and included some moderately Republican areas west of Pittsburgh.

For the record, I wasn't saying he represented Pittsburgh. I was just saying that outside of the city, the county has wealthy areas that would lean towards Mitt.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #67 on: March 15, 2012, 11:53:31 AM »

For the record, I wasn't saying he represented Pittsburgh. I was just saying that outside of the city, the county has wealthy areas that would lean towards Mitt.

That was the point I was trying to make.  Smiley  Santorum represented some reasonable GOP areas, where there will be primary voters.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #68 on: March 20, 2012, 02:58:26 PM »

Newt's slate of delegates in PA 15 are set to endorse Rick.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #69 on: March 21, 2012, 06:58:55 PM »

Heard some good numbers tonight in a Republican area of Philly. Confirms some previous comments. Wink
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #70 on: March 21, 2012, 07:14:19 PM »

CD 15, or 16?  If the former, I need to figure out who they are... Wink
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #71 on: March 21, 2012, 07:41:48 PM »

CD 15, or 16?  If the former, I need to figure out who they are... Wink

15 means...15. Tongue
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #72 on: March 21, 2012, 09:49:10 PM »

Who wins Centre?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #73 on: March 21, 2012, 10:16:12 PM »

I'd bet Santorum.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #74 on: March 22, 2012, 06:41:04 AM »

Paul will do "well" because of Penn State, Romney will win the affluent voters around State College but there's no reason why Santorum shouldn't run up big numbers there. He'll get delegates out of the area, too, since popular and powerful State Senator Corman is on Rick's side and running for delegate (Santorum got his start in politics by interning for Corman's Dad).
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies