How likely will the US be under a military draft within the next five years?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:43:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  How likely will the US be under a military draft within the next five years?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ...
Very likely

Likely

Not sure

Unlikely

Very unlikely

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 43

Author Topic: How likely will the US be under a military draft within the next five years?  (Read 1458 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 09, 2012, 03:14:20 AM »

I had a conversation with my mom earlier about this.  If Israel wants to attack Iran and asks the US to intervene, what happens then?  Do enough people enlist so that it isn't necessary for there to be a draft?  Does the government decide not to start one in fear of an uproar?  The anti-war sentiment seems to be at its strongest since Vietnam, but I don't see much stopping Congress from instigating one if it really wants to.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 03:38:17 AM »

Very unlikely.

I don't see much stopping Congress from instigating one if it really wants to.

How about the fact that all Congressmen care about is getting re-elected?
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 03:42:15 AM »

Very unlikely.

I don't see much stopping Congress from instigating one if it really wants to.

How about the fact that all Congressmen care about is getting re-elected?

Still, you've got people manipulated by that "for the good of the country" crap that the government shoves down peoples' throats.  It happened with Iraq, and since so many American voters are total idiots, it can happen with Iran.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 06:56:15 AM »

I strongly doubt it. The general (correct) opinion in the US is that voluntary soldiers are good soldiers.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 07:00:21 AM »

A.NOBODY WANTS IT!
2.We aren't invading Iran
III.NOBODY WANTS IT!

Seriously.  This is not going to happen.  Unless WWIII breaks out in the mean time.  I don't understand who you think would be calling for it even if we did want to boots on the ground in Iran (which we won't do).  Is this a fear only draft aged lefties have?
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 01:13:14 PM »

I strongly doubt it. The general (correct) opinion in the US is that voluntary soldiers are good soldiers.

So do I. A war with Iran is not going to need a draft anyway.
Redalgo
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 04:14:38 PM »

I strongly agree with BRTD and Franzl on this one.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 05:27:37 PM »

If Israel attacks Iran and, as a result, needs US protection so badly, the main effect will be to make Israel a lot less popular in the US - it will be seen as a reckless ally, who got itself into a sticky spot all by itself, asking to be bailed out. That would be true even if it doesn't get out of hand.

In any case, I simply can't imagine US sending actual ground troops to Iran - I could see some bombing, sure, but a land invasion? That would be nuts. But even in the unlikely case it were to happen, a draft won't be even seriously discussed, for many reasons. It would be opposed by the following groups: the administration, the House, the Seante, the media, military, the Republican party, the Democratic party and pretty much everybody else. This is something that is pretty much off the table in any scenario that's short of WWIII.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 11:51:23 AM »

Really we've been through this already with those people who were screaming about a draft coming for Iraq.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2012, 11:53:27 AM »

5ish%
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2012, 11:55:41 AM »

No way it is even close to that high.  What conflict would cause it?  Even a worst case scenario would just push us to use more and more war robots.  You won't have to draft dudes to do that, they will be standing in line.
RedPrometheus

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2012, 05:28:16 AM »

If Israel attacks Iran and, as a result, needs US protection so badly, the main effect will be to make Israel a lot less popular in the US - it will be seen as a reckless ally, who got itself into a sticky spot all by itself, asking to be bailed out. That would be true even if it doesn't get out of hand.

In any case, I simply can't imagine US sending actual ground troops to Iran - I could see some bombing, sure, but a land invasion? That would be nuts. But even in the unlikely case it were to happen, a draft won't be even seriously discussed, for many reasons. It would be opposed by the following groups: the administration, the House, the Seante, the media, military, the Republican party, the Democratic party and pretty much everybody else. This is something that is pretty much off the table in any scenario that's short of WWIII.

I completly agree. A war with Iran would be fought in the air and in the Persian gulf. The only way for ground troops to be involved is if Iran decided to retaliate by attacking US bases in Iraq, KSA, Afghanistan etc.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2012, 03:27:44 PM »

I completly agree. A war with Iran would be fought in the air and in the Persian gulf. The only way for ground troops to be involved is if Iran decided to retaliate by attacking US bases in Iraq, KSA, Afghanistan etc.

The US has no bases in Iraq or KSA, IIRC.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2012, 04:30:46 PM »

I strongly agree with BRTD, Redalgo and Franzl on this one.

Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2012, 04:34:19 PM »

Really we've been through this already with those people who were screaming about a draft coming for Iraq.

^^^

Not gonna happen.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2012, 05:56:46 PM »

Very, very, very unlikely.
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43