Nathan: Elected public office holder.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:33:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Nathan: Elected public office holder.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Nathan: Elected public office holder.  (Read 8748 times)
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2012, 07:19:30 PM »

We should form an Atlas Forum party, kinda like Americans Elect, in which we run two members for President/Vice President every four years.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2012, 08:12:41 PM »

We should form an Atlas Forum party, kinda like Americans Elect, in which we run two members for President/Vice President every four years.

That costs money. Tongue
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2012, 08:25:07 PM »

That costs money. Tongue

Well what do people without money do when they need things?

They steal.

Atlas Forum Burglary Party

That's our party name.

And we will run Angus/Torie in 2012.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2012, 08:26:38 PM »

Congrats Nathan! Smiley
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2012, 08:43:32 PM »

Angus/Torie? Single most respectable ticket in all of history.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2012, 09:30:54 PM »

I'm told I'm the youngest person to hold public office at any level in Massachusetts in some time, which is also exciting.

Oakvale, I'll see what I can do. I'm at the other end of the Commonwealth from the bogs, but we've got a lot of apple orchards and dairy farms if that helps, and I'm sure I can make a trip to the East if it's for Atlas Forum.
How old are you?  You could be a congressman one day.  Somebody from this forum needs to become a member of Congress in the future.

The first Congressional election I'll be eligible in will be 2018.

You're only 19? I had no clue you were that young. Wow that means you weren't even able to vote for Obama in 2008...
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2012, 09:58:13 PM »

I'm told I'm the youngest person to hold public office at any level in Massachusetts in some time, which is also exciting.

Oakvale, I'll see what I can do. I'm at the other end of the Commonwealth from the bogs, but we've got a lot of apple orchards and dairy farms if that helps, and I'm sure I can make a trip to the East if it's for Atlas Forum.
How old are you?  You could be a congressman one day.  Somebody from this forum needs to become a member of Congress in the future.

The first Congressional election I'll be eligible in will be 2018.

You're only 19? I had no clue you were that young. Wow that means you weren't even able to vote for Obama in 2008...

It's because I started college when I was 15.

Yeah, I was a little cross since that was the first election I was really invested in (though I supported Kerry in 2004 because he was from New England and was not Bush, whom I already disliked).
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2012, 10:06:10 PM »

Like you actually graduated or you just took some transferable college courses in high school?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2012, 10:18:25 PM »

I dropped out and took a GED and started college. I'm honestly not even sure why they let me.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2012, 10:27:06 PM »

WTF, that's possible? If it's that's like the biggest unexploited loophole ever...
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2012, 10:29:13 PM »

Congratulations Nathan this is amazing!!!!
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2012, 10:43:07 PM »

WTF, that's possible? If it's that's like the biggest unexploited loophole ever...

The problem, of course, is then you have to do college-level work, which is why my GPA went from 4.0 in 2007-8 to 2.9 in 2008-9 (though it's crawled back up to 3.4 since).

Thank you, Napoleon. I'll be sure to keep everyone informed of what goes on with this.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2012, 11:15:49 PM »

Wow -awesome news.  Smiley

I fully expect to see you in the Massachusetts legislature eventually -maybe even Congress by the time you reach your early 40s if not earlier. 
Reginald
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2012, 11:22:06 PM »

Very cool. Smiley Congratulations, Nathan!
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2012, 11:51:31 PM »

It's certainly possible in California, although the test isn't the GED but a different test.
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2012, 05:18:40 AM »

Awww I wanna start college now Angry I hate high school Sad
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2012, 10:04:19 AM »

Congratulations Nathan! I expect all of the Amherst, MA area's social ills to be cured by this time next year Tongue
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2012, 02:40:33 PM »

Congratulations Nathan this is amazing!!!!
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2012, 03:33:40 PM »

Congrats Nathan. Every precinct has its own municipal legislator/councilperson?  How many of them are there in your town?  Is this true of every town in Mass, or just some?  If all, Boston must have a BIG city council. Smiley
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2012, 05:55:25 PM »

Congrats Nathan. Every precinct has its own municipal legislator/councilperson?  How many of them are there in your town?  Is this true of every town in Mass, or just some?  If all, Boston must have a BIG city council. Smiley

Amherst has a representative town meeting form of government, essentially replacing the town meeting with a smaller body. Boston is a city and does not have a town meeting.

In any case congrats Nathan. Local government is a great way to learn retail politics and understand how a government functions. It's also a good way get to know your area's political players and decide if upward steps make sense.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2012, 12:46:30 PM »

Specifically, Amherst has ten precincts and twenty-four town meeting members per precinct.

Thank you very much, muon. I already know the daughter of the Town Moderator quite well (they're a branch of the Gregg family, of Judd fame, actually) and I hope to get to know more people involved in running the area.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2012, 10:10:33 PM »
« Edited: April 30, 2012, 01:18:55 AM by Nathan »

And the adventure continues with my first Precinct Meeting (for 1 and 3; I'm in 3), where I meet such luminaries as Precinct 1's Louis and Hilda Greenbaum (both professors of history at my university, I think maybe former in Louis's case, who have been on Town Meeting almost every year for decades) and Precinct 3's Nancy Gregg (who is related to both the Town Moderator and one of my first friends when I arrived in the area--not the same person). We discussed, almost to exclusion, Article 25 of the 2012 Amherst Town Warrant, which would rezone North Amherst Village Center in such a way as to allow one Jones family to extensively develop a bunch of land that they own for purposes of tract housing and also make it easier for existing buildings, some of which date back to the 1730s, to be demolished for the same purpose. I, like everybody else there, oppose this, and gave my first public speech (at least, my first in this sort of context) explaining why I do even though I'm a university student and the tract housing is supposed to be there to be affordable for university students: I'm opposed to my university's practice of simply outsourcing its self-manufactured housing crisis to the town that surrounds it, which only serves to create a new housing crisis in the town that leads to bad remedies like this one. I spoke for about four or five minutes and it seemed pretty well-received, though they may have been going easy on me because I'm new.

Tomorrow is the first actual sitting of the Amherst Town Meeting. I've been asked to help present our case to the Town Moderator. Most of the Town of Amherst actually opposes this particular development but most wants 'development' generically constructed so it's a matter of whether or not we're able to convince at least a third of our colleagues from other precincts to join us in sending a message that we will hold out for something better that will not turn North Amherst into essentially suburbia of the city writ small that is the University of Massachusetts.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2012, 10:12:54 PM »

Good luck on the presentation, Nathan! Smiley
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2012, 10:16:10 PM »

Thank you, Allen.

Fun fact: I have three entirely unrelated things to 'present' in varying contexts over the next two days. Got to love finals.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2012, 10:22:58 PM »

I get the impression this job would actually be pretty boring, it's hard to think of any hot button issues that would come up in Amherst. Mostly just dealing with resident complaints about road maintenance in their areas I bet.

But hey that first issue sounds worth fighting for, even if quite minor in the scheme of things.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies