Is this the least ugly pair of candidates in the last hundred years?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:42:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Is this the least ugly pair of candidates in the last hundred years?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who were the best-looking pair of candidates in the last hundred years?
2012: Obama/Romney

2000: Gore/Bush (Gore's aged badly, but was ok then)

1980: Carter/Reagan

1960: Kennedy/Nixon

Other (post... and you're weird)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 43

Author Topic: Is this the least ugly pair of candidates in the last hundred years?  (Read 759 times)
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 27, 2012, 04:50:15 PM »

Was just thinking; are Obama and Romney the least ugly-looking (when averaged) pair of major-party candidates in the last hundred years?  I think they just might be...
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 04:53:27 PM »

I was going to muse as to which would win for any election between two female candidates, but then remembered South Dakota At Large House 2010. That'd have to be the hands down winner for any US federal election.
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 06:16:44 PM »

Yeah, this is definitely a great year for good looking candidates.

I think mixed race people tend to look better than people of one race (don't know why this is though) and Obama is definitely a handsome guy, and he's got swagger. But Romney doesn't even seem real at times with his hair, smile and whatnot. He looks like a Ken Doll in some pictures from his younger days. Ann was, and still is, beautiful as well.

Bush/Gore- Eh, not so great in my opinion. Both were middle aged and looked middle aged. Bush was going gray and Gore was getting fat.

Reagan/Carter- I've always thought Carter was pretty damn freaky looking with those lips. Reagan was good looking as a young man, but he was 69 in 1980 and was more of a grandfather than a silver fox.

Kennedy/Nixon-No doubt, Kennedy was a good looking man, maybe the best looking of all the Kennedy kids. But Nixon?? Our jowliest president? Come on, even in 1960 he wasn't a handsome guy. It reminds me of a fake vintage article from The Onion after Kennedy was elected titled, "Our First Handsome President"

IMO, Romney today vs JFK in 1960 would have been the handsomest campaign in history.

John McCain in 1970 and Sarah Palin would have been the best looking ticket in history.

old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 06:19:39 PM »

I was going to muse as to which would win for any election between two female candidates, but then remembered South Dakota At Large House 2010. That'd have to be the hands down winner for any US federal election.

Just saw the wikipedia page about the race. Good god, how did the good people of South Dakota get so lucky?? Finally a race worth watching. I guess it goes to show that when you agree to let the faces of four presidents be carved on one of your sacred mountains, good things will come to you.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 07:31:11 PM »

Yes.  Mitt's damn handsome, I'll give the man that much.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2012, 10:27:09 PM »

Yes, and two of the smartest too.

tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2012, 10:44:34 PM »

It reminds me of a fake vintage article from The Onion after Kennedy was elected titled, "Our First Handsome President"

Who are they kidding?

President von Cat
captain copernicus

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2012, 10:58:35 PM »

I'd say both candidates are handsome, and they are also both well spoken. I know Romney makes a lot of gaffes, but when he stays on message, he comes off as articulate and competent, something McCain did not do well, and something Bush II failed miserably at doing. These debates are going to be a treat.
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2012, 01:01:03 AM »

Romney will probably be unbelievable prepared for the debates and will have the best debate coaches money can buy. But no amount of money can buy you charisma.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2012, 01:57:25 AM »

Obama vs. Dewey or Coolidge would have been the ultimate.
The_Texas_Libertarian
TXMichael
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2012, 10:53:57 AM »

Romney's age is still surprising to me.  He looks good for someone who is 65.  I would not have guessed anything older than the mid-to-late 50's range. 
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies