Black Clergy Group to Demand Romney Renounce Mormonism (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:36:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Black Clergy Group to Demand Romney Renounce Mormonism (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Black Clergy Group to Demand Romney Renounce Mormonism  (Read 5638 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: March 10, 2012, 01:20:39 PM »

Complete ignorance of the Mormon faith runs rampant amongst the closed minded, including amongst closed minded preachers.

Considering the racist origins of Mormonism, for blacks to be opposed to Mormonism is hardly closed-minded, but rather an appreciation of history.  For those who hope to end the solid black voting block for the Democrats, having Romney as the standard-bearer of the Republicans is not going to do anything to advance that.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 01:54:14 PM »

Catholicism never claimed to have direct divine revelation that blacks would never be admitted to the priesthood.  Yes Mormonism later had a later revelation to reverse that policy (tho it took until 1978!) but like Romney himself, the Mormon church's changes in policy over the years have appeared to be based more upon expediency than any other factor.  Unlike Romney, the Mormon church has claimed its policies are divinely inspired.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 02:14:03 PM »

I'll agree with that pb  And the LDS Church has tried these past three decades to overcome its shameful past on this issue, for which I commend it..  However, while his faith is not why I do not like Romney, the fact is it will be a significant factor for some groups, and for Blacks in general, and Black evangelicals in particular, the history of the LDS church with regard to "the children of Cain" will be a major stumbling point.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 04:13:20 PM »

Rev. O’Neal Dozier and I rarely agree on much, but I think it should send a clear message that when I, a pro-abortion, pro-forced gay marriage atheist, and Rev. Dozier can come together on an issue like this, our cause is probably just and right.

Not really.  The "enemy of my enemy is my friend" meme rarely works well in real life.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 05:57:45 PM »

The cause is never just and right when those throwing the stones are doing so as a result of gross misunderstanding and complete ignorance. 

You do realize that an election is all about politics and rarely about justice, don't you?

And if you don't realize that, why haven't you been full of outrage over the deceptive attack ads that Restore Mitt's Future puts out?
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 12:44:59 PM »

The cause is never just and right when those throwing the stones are doing so as a result of gross misunderstanding and complete ignorance. 

You do realize that an election is all about politics and rarely about justice, don't you?

And if you don't realize that, why haven't you been full of outrage over the deceptive attack ads that Restore Mitt's America's Future puts out?

It is never, ever appropriate for a Christian to demand that another Christian renounce his faith.  Mormons have not made demands that others renounce their faith.

Let me make this clear.  Mitt Romney is not going to renounce his faith, now not, not ever, just because some ill informed, radical evangelical preacher makes some stupid, ridiculous demand.

Forget it. 

The best thing Romney can do is to completely ignore this postulating, presumptuous, pompous preacher.

Oh I agree that for Romney to change from being a Mormon to be a more traditional Christian for political reasons would be wrong both ethically and politically.  If he were a better candidate, it wouldn't matter that there are blocks of voters who won't vote for him for that reason, but he's not.  His appeal is mainly to groups that can be expected to vote Republican in the general election no matter who the nominee is, and he has not shown much ability this cycle to go beyond that core support.  He's the richer candidate, and that's been the secret to his success so far, but he won't have a financial advantage against Obama.

But since you ignored my question other than to replace my descriptive name of its only purpose with its official name, let me repeat it: Why haven't you been full of outrage over the deceptive attack ads that Restore Mitt's Future puts out?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies