Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 30, 2014, 08:44:04 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  Individual Politics (Moderators: Grad Students are the Worst, Torie, Sheriff Buford TX Justice)
| | |-+  Political Matrix Question #1
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Poll
Question: The right to individual autonomy is important, even if it threatens collective security.
Agree   -8 (22.2%)
Usually Agree   -16 (44.4%)
Neutral   -4 (11.1%)
Usually Disagree   -3 (8.3%)
Disagree   -5 (13.9%)
Show Pie Chart
Total Voters: 36

Author Topic: Political Matrix Question #1  (Read 840 times)
Psychic Octopus
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« on: March 11, 2012, 12:18:13 am »
Ignore

I'm kicking off a new series. Every three days, I'll post a new poll about the Political Matrix Questions, and see where the forum stands on the issue. When the series is complete, I'll uses the mode of each response to gather a sense of where the forum is politically.

Today, the question is whether or not you believe that "the right to individual autonomy is important, even if it threatens collective security."

Go.

Scott
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 12:25:05 am »
Ignore

Usually agree, and this is a critical issue to me.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 01:18:58 am by Senator Scott »Logged
Jbrase
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.32, S: -5.74

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 12:25:48 am »
Ignore

Agree
Redalgo
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 12:39:49 am »
Ignore

Usually Agree

"I have cherished the ideal of a democratic and free society in which all persons live together in harmony with equal opportunities. It is an ideal which I hope to live for and to see realized." ~ Nelson Mandela
Snowstalker
YaBB God
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -8.45, S: -4.26

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 12:41:58 am »
Ignore

Neutral; it depends on what you are doing that's potentially harmful and the difference in power between the two. For instance, there's a difference between a couple having sex and a corporation sending its manufacturing plant to an Indian location where wages are 15 cents an hour.

Miles
MilesC56
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 4.52

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 01:03:05 am »
Ignore

Disagree.

realisticidealist
YaBB God
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: 4.52

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 01:09:11 am »
Ignore

Usually disagree.

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return."
I'm JewCon in name only.
Klecly
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.61, S: 6.52

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 01:12:20 am »
Ignore

Disagree.

Reginald

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2012, 01:48:44 am »
Ignore

This is a great idea!

Usually Agree

Antonio V
YaBB God
France

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -4.87

P P P

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2012, 04:59:18 am »
Ignore

Usually agree.

Quote from: IRC
22:15   ComradeSibboleth   this is all extremely terrible and in all respects absolutely fycking dire.

It really is.

"A reformist is someone who realizes that, when you bang your head on a wall, it's the head that breaks rather than the wall."

Peppino, from the movie Baaria
АverroŽs Nix
AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2012, 09:43:24 am »
Ignore

Agree (critical issue).

PS: I am using my late mother's Facebook account due to the difficulty of changing identities on Facebook. She has yet to complain.
R2D2
20RP12
YaBB God
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -7.74, S: -7.48

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2012, 10:25:54 am »
Ignore

Agree (critical issue).

i like girls but there is NOTHING better then a sexi hott dude
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
YaBB God
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2012, 10:26:03 am »
Ignore

Usually agree.

IDS Legislator Pingvin
Pingvin99
YaBB God
Estonia

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2012, 10:29:30 am »
Ignore

freefair
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2012, 11:41:01 am »
Ignore

Usually Agree.

If you're centrist to right wing do follow this link and participate in this timelime poll!!
http://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=186153.0
PM- Ecn +4.95 Soc -4.95
Pragmatically libertarian. Centrist by US standards, Tory in UK.
ozona and sonora
Ghost_white
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: 6.61

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2012, 03:40:50 pm »
Ignore

Disagree, having a strong sense of community - a "collective" to call your own whether it's family, tribe or nation[-state] is your only hope for freedom. I doubt there's even such thing as an inherent "right to individual autonomy," unless you're totally alone. There's just people that can defend themselves, and those that can't. Groups with power and those without. Those that look out for their interests and those that don't. Or to put it another way:

"Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldnít be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you."
-The Gulag Archipelago

That has got to be one of the most retarded proposals I have read on this forum.

Don't worry, I'm sure more will crop up shortly.
Hatman
EarlAW
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.97, S: -6.00

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2012, 04:23:01 pm »
Ignore

Neutral - a balance is needed

http://canadianelectionatlas.blogspot.com

Follow me on Twitter @EarlWashburn
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2012, 04:57:43 pm »
Ignore

Option two.
morgieb
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2012, 05:49:31 pm »
Ignore

Usually agree.
RedPrometheus

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2012, 06:02:17 am »
Ignore

Usually agree.

Political Matrix

E: -7,74
S: -5,22
Mopsus
MOPolitico
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.74, S: -5.97

P P P
View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2012, 04:28:17 pm »
Ignore

I have considerable difficulty responding to general philosophical statements like this, so could someone provide me with a scenario in which individual autonomy actually threatens collective security?
Scott
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2012, 04:50:09 pm »
Ignore

I have considerable difficulty responding to general philosophical statements like this, so could someone provide me with a scenario in which individual autonomy actually threatens collective security?

Basically what this question asks you is, do you value the community more than the individual, or the individual more than the community?  Do you put moral weight on the individual's ability to self-govern, or should you be guided by external forces like government and society?  I suppose one scenario that this question could apply to is taxes: should we surrender some of our autonomy (our complete ownership of money) in exchange for security, or should we not?

To understand which side generally agrees with what, check out the comments and Political Matrix scores of the posters here. Wink  It's probably too much to explain in one post, though. Tongue
Redalgo
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2012, 05:30:58 pm »
Ignore

Some examples of political subjects where individual autonomy and collective security come into conflict are rights or entitlements to: free speech, privacy, protest against the government, due process in law, practice ones faith, affiliate with groups of ones choice, not be conscripted, decide not to let soldiers use ones home in a time of war, to be in a minority group without being persecuted or marginalized from participation in civic life, sympathize with or assist enemies of the state, pollute the environment, operate heavy machinery while under the influence of drugs, drive an automobile while talking on ones cell phone, peaceful support for the overthrow of the government, low or non-existent taxes, individual access to welfare benefits when in need, etc.

"I have cherished the ideal of a democratic and free society in which all persons live together in harmony with equal opportunities. It is an ideal which I hope to live for and to see realized." ~ Nelson Mandela
Mopsus
MOPolitico
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.74, S: -5.97

P P P
View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2012, 06:21:19 pm »
Ignore

Thanks, guys. I consider society a collection of individuals working together to accomplish things that can be done better collectively than individually, so while society is justified in preventing people from doing things that might endanger the welfare of others, it must first be established beyond a shadow of a doubt that the encroachment upon individual freedom will indeed improve the collective, and the encroachment must not curb certain basic rights. In other words, it depends upon the situation. I guess that my answer to the question should be "neutral", then?
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2012, 06:32:50 pm »
Ignore

Option 1.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length