Political Matrix Question #1 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 10:16:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Political Matrix Question #1 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: The right to individual autonomy is important, even if it threatens collective security.
Agree

Usually Agree

Neutral

Usually Disagree

Disagree

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 36

Author Topic: Political Matrix Question #1  (Read 2181 times)
Redalgo
United States

« on: March 11, 2012, 12:39:49 AM »

Usually Agree
Redalgo
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 05:30:58 PM »

I have considerable difficulty responding to general philosophical statements like this, so could someone provide me with a scenario in which individual autonomy actually threatens collective security?

Some examples of political subjects where individual autonomy and collective security come into conflict are rights or entitlements to: free speech, privacy, protest against the government, due process in law, practice ones faith, affiliate with groups of ones choice, not be conscripted, decide not to let soldiers use ones home in a time of war, to be in a minority group without being persecuted or marginalized from participation in civic life, sympathize with or assist enemies of the state, pollute the environment, operate heavy machinery while under the influence of drugs, drive an automobile while talking on ones cell phone, peaceful support for the overthrow of the government, low or non-existent taxes, individual access to welfare benefits when in need, etc.
Redalgo
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 08:15:12 PM »
« Edited: March 12, 2012, 08:16:58 PM by Redalgo »

Thanks, guys. . . . I guess that my answer to the question should be "neutral", then?

Possibly. It really depends. Your explanation appears somewhat indicative of a variation of corporatism, which has a collectivist but not necessarily authoritarian bent to it. Neutral would be a good answer if you consider it quite important to achieve an evenhanded balance between individual freedom and responsibilities to society. Otherwise, usually disagree would better represent a feeling that, if there is a conflict of interest between the one and the many, the former should normally be expected to yield for the greater benefit of the latter.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies