Does God Exist? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:10:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Does God Exist? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ....
Yes

No

Maybe

Unsure

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 75

Author Topic: Does God Exist?  (Read 14928 times)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: March 13, 2012, 04:19:37 AM »

Yes by definition. What we know to be a first mover or first cause, first essence is what is God. Now the presence of God is highly flawed by religion, especially in ancient times but the idea of God throughout history does show the evolution of what we know is not God; humanity and every other part of matter. I must ask; are you referring to the God of Christianity or monotheism or a creator?

If you define God as an entity that can just come into existence, why can't the universe just come into existence, or whatever?  Is anything capable of just coming into existence definitionally "God"?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 04:24:42 PM »

In my years as a scholar, I've heard alot of plausable and poor theories. I've never heard anything as stupid as matter just appeared from nowhere and things began to exist for no reason.

Therefore, unerring belief in an entity that appeared from nowhere and began to exist for 'no reason'?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 11:09:01 PM »

God by definition exists outside of time and therefore outside of our understanding. To say "God would've sprang from nowhere" is an oxymoron because God cannot have a beginning or an end as that which is all being. I don't really get into theology when debating the existence of a creator or God. Theology is more for what God is rather than if God exists. That's a good question about eternity but as finite creatures I don't think we're capable of fully grasping the eternal or infinite.

...Your response wasn't really on-point to his post, and you also ignored my post for no apparent reason.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 12:08:45 AM »

Yes by definition. What we know to be a first mover or first cause, first essence is what is God. Now the presence of God is highly flawed by religion, especially in ancient times but the idea of God throughout history does show the evolution of what we know is not God; humanity and every other part of matter. I must ask; are you referring to the God of Christianity or monotheism or a creator?

If you define God as an entity that can just come into existence, why can't the universe just come into existence, or whatever?  Is anything capable of just coming into existence definitionally "God"?

God never began to exist nor will God ever cease to exist.

If God can be a causeless agent, why can't the universe or the universe's cause?  Why does a causeless agent have to be a deity?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 04:27:30 AM »

Then in that case the universe would be a God. It doesn't necessarily have to be a deity. By universe do you mean all that is?

err...so, if my very not-sentient coffee mug was a causeless entity, it would definitionally be God?  This is just not what I think people mean when they say "God"
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 05:28:58 AM »

There are alot of theories out there but "matter just coming into existence on its own for no reason" is likely the worst theory I've ever heard or read.

Why?

Where there is a design, there is a designer. I've never seen something just spring out of nowhere.

This is special pleading, and I have no idea what your "highly exaggerated" post re: god is intended to mean.  People are not "exaggerating" god anymore than those who refer to "floods" as inundations of water are "exaggerating" the word because you prefer it was synonymous with "creek."
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 03:09:30 PM »

I believe in God because I can't imagine what life would be like without Him.

It's largely the same, except you get to sleep in on Sundays.

Because there are no churches with afternoon or evening services. Roll Eyes

Only you -- someone who might choose a religious tradition based on the practitioners' music tastes -- would actually think Dibble was being serious.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies